Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone laminated lead sheet to plywood? What adhesive?

It sounds like I should just try to find an acoustical engineering firm that is interested in doing a smaller job, but I still figure it will cost several thousand dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    off delay timers look for a signal to start the timer, it will run for say, 10 min after the signal is received, such as hooking it to the +12 for the fuel pump, starting relay, ignition coil or similar.
    I don't want to divert from Mr. Elfert's soundproofing topic (too much), and maybe just semantics...?????

I think you are describing the on-delay relay function... the input 'ON' drives the timer; when timer reaches setpoint, the contacts change state. If the input drops out, the output contacts reset (to normal state) immediately.

With off-delay relay, the input 'OFF' drives the timer. The contacts change state immediately when the input goes 'true' (ON). When the input goes OFF, the timer starts. Only when the timer times out, does the output reset (to normal state).

I think mass loaded vinyl would be a good choice, here's one outfit
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Xtrm-Ply...4-10/304268301
    WoodsShop

If you are putting it between two sheets why not just screw everything together? No glue to worry about, reversible if something goes south.

I just looked up a 12.5 kw diesel generator, and found one which is 50”x25”x35”. It weighs a bunch too — probably installs with a forklift. And probably needs elbow room around it in the enclosure. You might want to make the walls concrete. The high mass of the concrete will do a good job of containing the sound. But the engine is going to be putting out a lot of heat, so there’s going to be air circulating through the enclosure, and sound will escape through those air inlets and exhausts.

Check out marine sound and temp insulation dense foam. worked for sailboat engines and gensets

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I just looked up a 12.5 kw diesel generator, and found one which is 50”x25”x35”. It weighs a bunch too — probably installs with a forklift. And probably needs elbow room around it in the enclosure. You might want to make the walls concrete. The high mass of the concrete will do a good job of containing the sound. But the engine is going to be putting out a lot of heat, so there’s going to be air circulating through the enclosure, and sound will escape through those air inlets and exhausts.
    This generator is going into a coach bus converted into a motorhome. The generator is 36-1/4" long by 20" wide by 24" tall. It weighs 531 pounds. No fuel tank as it draws from the main diesel tank.

I'm not going to be using something like a concrete enclosure due to weight. The weight of lead and plywood is already pushing it. Intake and exhaust air will go around corners and such to greatly reduce the noise transmission. The radiator is mounted elsewhere so the ventilation needed isn't all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    This generator is going into a coach bus converted into a motorhome. The generator is 36-1/4" long by 20" wide by 24" tall. It weighs 531 pounds. No fuel tank as it draws from the main diesel tank.

I'm not going to be using something like a concrete enclosure due to weight. The weight of lead and plywood is already pushing it. Intake and exhaust air will go around corners and such to greatly reduce the noise transmission. The radiator is mounted elsewhere so the ventilation needed isn't all that much.
    Why not duplicate what they do in those motorhomes!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Janssen View Post
    Why not duplicate what they do in those motorhomes!
    A typical production motorhome uses a generator already in an enclosure. My generator is not in an enclosure.

High end motorhomes built on bus chassis often used lead sheet in their generator enclosures combined with foam.

I've used SikaFlex -1A to secure zinc sheet to Advantech and MDF substrates with great results. Bet it would work on plywood and lead.

https://usa.sika.com/en/construction...kaflex-1a.html

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Plummer View Post
    If you are putting it between two sheets why not just screw everything together? No glue to worry about, reversible if something goes south.
    My thinking is I wouldn't want to poke a bunch of holes in the lead sheet to let sound through. I might be way off base on that. Screws would certainly be easier.

McMaster-Carr sells several types of sound absorbing panels and sheets. No need to make your own.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I am building an enclosure for a 12.5 KW diesel generator. The radiator will be mounted outside of the enclosure to reduce heat in the enclosure.

There will be a good size squirrel cage blower running while the generator is operating so the temperature should probably be under 150 degrees while running. The issue is heat soak once the generator turns off which also turns off the blower. I don't have a real good way to keep the blower running after shutdown unless I add a temperature switch to the blower.

can you add a shutdown timer to the fan? Something that keeps it running for, say, 20 minutes after the genset shuts down?

Using fuel from the vehicle tank is a great way to keep the fuel fresh. I like that idea.

Adding 531 pounds to the vehicle seems extreme. Then adding lead,,,,well we have different approaches to camping.

Loaded vinyl sounds reasonable and doesn't add the toxicity of lead to the works of man.

rockwool insulation will take heat no problem. Fibreglass has to be the white no glue kind or it can burn. have you considered liquid tanks such as fuel, water, sewage etc. Make sure it is spring loaded so it does not vibrate the entire chassis.
    Some police special cars insulate the battery by placing it inside a special doughnut shaped windshield washer fluid tank
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-05-2021 at 5:02 PM.