Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boy, don't post in the Metalworking forum

Boy, don't post in the Metalworking forum

In early February I posted this cry for help over in the Metalworking forum, thinking that was the most appropriate place:

A rectangular fragment of a saw plate floating around in my shop was intended as a scraper. It turned out to be perfect to use to extend a saw kerf into the pin boards in half-blind dovetails. I was delighted that the rectangle is exactly the thickness I need for the task (0.025”), so it is in use. But it’s about an inch wider than it needs to be. I’d like to trim it down to make a more elegant tool.

I cut wood. I’m out of my depth when faced with cleanly cutting a tool steel plate along a straight line. What are some options I might already have in my shop?

I don’t have a dedicated metal grinder, but I have a Dremel, cordless drill, and drill press.

Five weeks and not one response. And it's still in the top three threads.

what about breaking the extra inch off? clamp it tightly along the break line (+ a little margin) and then bend it with pliers or hammer back and forth until it snaps. Should go fast with saw temper. Then draw file down to the line.

Put deep scratch on each side of the plate before bending back and forth.

Depending on the hardness of the plate, hacksaw (slowly, by hand) along a scored line.

File to desired dimensions.

Some sawplates are hardened beyond rc 60 and my hacksaw blades just "skate" off.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    In early February I posted this cry for help over in the Metalworking forum, thinking that was the most appropriate place:

A rectangular fragment of a saw plate floating around in my shop was intended as a scraper. It turned out to be perfect to use to extend a saw kerf into the pin boards in half-blind dovetails. I was delighted that the rectangle is exactly the thickness I need for the task (0.025”), so it is in use. But it’s about an inch wider than it needs to be. I’d like to trim it down to make a more elegant tool.

I cut wood. I’m out of my depth when faced with cleanly cutting a tool steel plate along a straight line. What are some options I might already have in my shop?

I don’t have a dedicated metal grinder, but I have a Dremel, cordless drill, and drill press.

Five weeks and not one response. And it's still in the top three threads.
    If you have files in your shop, look through them for one that looks a bit like this :
    File-Tang-300x200.jpg

You want something with a single or double cut row on it and the "teeth" need to get all the way to the edge of the file and form a sharp corner. A triangular file may work as well but if the teeth on it have been used much, the corner may be round now.

Use the corner of the file to scratch a line where you want to break or maybe just a little bit longer. Scratch both sides nice and deep.

Clamp into a vice with the scratch line at the edge of the vice jaws. I've done it with both the waste and keeper piece out of the vice, both seem to work but there may be a reason to align it one way vs. the other. I think I've always put what will be the smaller part in the vice jaws. Use a metal worker's bench vice if you have one but a woodworking vice will do.

With a good pair of leather gloves on your hands, snap off the steel. You may need to flex it back and forth a few times. But saw plates have always snapped on the first bend for me.

Now you can use your file to go back and clean things up to the line. And maybe a little light tapping with a hammer to straighten the edge if it curled.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

On good terms with your neighbors? I’ll bet one of them has an angle grinder they would let you borrow. They’re almost as ubiquitous as cordless drills these days. I bought a brand new Makita at a garage sale for $10 a few years ago and am amazed at how much I use it. With the proper grinding wheel it would make quick work of your saw plate.

Blog Entries
    My Dremel is mostly used with their little cut off wheels to cut hardened metal.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?229968

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 03-26-2021 at 12:10 PM. Reason: added quote from OP
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks, folks. I'll see. I need the cut line to be straight, square, and smooth. I might just use my monster "tool" as it is to pound out the kerfs.

But this proves my thesis: six replies in one day vs. zero replies in five weeks. I'm sticking to the cave over here with the rest of us Neanderthals. It's safer by the fire.

Be absolutely sure to wear good eye protection when snapping tool steel. It tends to shatter violently and can bounce and come from behind on the ricochet.

If it's a saw that's made to be sharpened with a file, like most are, it will be around 50 to 52 on the Rockwell scale. Hacksaws should work, with a fine tooth. I use 32 TPI.
    I usually use my Dremel Tool with an abrasive cutoff wheel. These will cut hardened metal like pad locks. I use a straight edge like a strip of wood and go slow. I have used the Dremel for cutting off stove pipe, which works well. I have also cut Stainless steel sheet on a range hood install. Just take your time and have spare wheels on hand. I have re profiled knife blades that way, taking one cut and quenching. I am a big fan. It's about the only thing I use my Dremel for. And, I second using eye protection and gloves.

Best,
    Rick

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    Thanks, folks. I'll see. I need the cut line to be straight, square, and smooth. I might just use my monster "tool" as it is to pound out the kerfs.

But this proves my thesis: six replies in one day vs. zero replies in five weeks. I'm sticking to the cave over here with the rest of us Neanderthals. It's safer by the fire.
    For a long time my 'kerf extender' was a piece of broken saw plate that was also used as a scraper.

Think of it as a two in one tool.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

12. I'd mark the line i want to follow, make the cut with either a hacksaw or Drexel and then file it down to the line

Blog Entries
    Remember, this is the cave, make sure to use your egg beater or treadle Dremel.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

I did get some love in the metalworking forum in the past with this. As Rick said use a fine toothed hacksaw blade 32TPI and file afterwards. I also picked up a carbide rod for my hacksaw for $5. I worked even better. And I see some Stanley carbide hacksaw blades for sale for about $10 that look very interesting. Anybody use that version? As Andrew says, you gotta do this without electricity in Neanderland.

Blog Entries
    I would use my band saw with a metal cutting blade.