Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Finally we got permit for construction

What are your plans on conditioning the space?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    What are your plans on conditioning the space?
    Not decided completely. Right now leaning towards electrical heating. We have a gas line available so may go with gas heater unit. In either case, it will be a separate unit from home.

I did a lot of work in the gas industry in BC a few years ago. While gas is available I think you will find that a mini-split heat pump will be best for you. Separate from the house and very efficient and you get dehumidifier and cooling with the efficient electric heat. Given the lay-out, long and narrow, look for a unit that has a 4-way air sweep. You are fortunate to live in such a fine place. Oh, and I think if you check with the utility you will find rebates available for a mini-split.

I did a lot of work in the gas industry in BC a few years ago. While gas is available I think you will find that a mini-split heat pump will be best for you. Separate from the house and very efficient and you get dehumidifier and cooling with the efficient electric heat. Given the lay-out, long and narrow, look for a unit that has a 4-way air sweep. You are fortunate to live in such a fine place. Oh, and I think if you check with the utility you will find rebates available for a mini-split.
    Thanks Jack.

Split heat pump did not cross my mind. It's a better option. I guess if I get a little bigger unit, it can cool (and heat) down one additional room.

Researching this option more now.

In your climate you can run to 600 sq ft (sorry for that but I’m American and not smart enough to do metric) per ton (12,000btu). A 9000 btu mini-split will do the job for you very nicely and most likely be able to handle an adjoining room. Look at Tjernlund Airshares to get air into the other room. I used thousands of these things in like circumstances and they are excellent. Just put the fan on a wall switch and run it when you want.

In your climate you can run to 600 sq ft (sorry for that but I’m American and not smart enough to do metric) per ton (12,000btu). A 9000 btu mini-split will do the job for you very nicely and most likely be able to handle an adjoining room. Look at Tjernlund Airshares to get air into the other room. I used thousands of these things in like circumstances and they are excellent. Just put the fan on a wall switch and run it when you want.

Thanks for the recommendation Jack.
    I discussed with contractor today. We be going with split heat pump.
    Glad I opened this post!

Shop got framed this week. House extension will be framed next. Extension is on top of shop and will make the family room bigger.

Electrician did his planning. All 30A/220 and 20/110 outlets in shop. 50A will be added as well for future.

We are still deciding between mini-split v/s adding a AC to current furnace. With later, whole house will get cooling which is good but then furnace will be used to heat the shop. This may bring dust and other smell in the house. On the other hand mini-split heat pump is 2k cheaper and meets our need in all ways but leaves us with two systems and won't be as simple to extend to other bedrooms if need be.

PXL_20210430_234022261.jpg

PXL_20210430_234001708.MP.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuj Prateek View Post
    We are still deciding between mini-split v/s adding a AC to current furnace. With later, whole house will get cooling which is good but then furnace will be used to heat the shop. This may bring dust and other smell in the house. On the other hand mini-split heat pump is 2k cheaper and meets our need in all ways but leaves us with two systems and won't be as simple to extend to other bedrooms if need be.
    Sorry, didn't go through all the posts, but if the shop has an overhead door that a car could drive in, then it's a garage & ventilation systems can't be shared with the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Sorry, didn't go through all the posts, but if the shop has an overhead door that a car could drive in, then it's a garage & ventilation systems can't be shared with the house.

Thanks Frank. Shop is independent from garage (no cars or overhead door).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuj Prateek View Post
    Thanks Frank. Shop is independent from garage (no cars or overhead door).
    Sweet! I must share my shop with 2 cars. Suboptimal.

Some more progress. Slab got poured. Most of the framing is complete. Electrical is in progress. Next week structural stuffs inspection is there. Central AC got installed.

In a sense of workshop, I started gardening. Did a new lawn in front of house. Used to be a overgrown garden. Now doing pavers in one section.

PXL_20210602_145907468.MP.jpg

Looking good! Do you have a completion date in mind? It seems you will have really upgraded your property with the new addition and landscaping. It’ll be fun to see the finished project.

Quote Originally Posted by David Publicover View Post
    Looking good! Do you have a completion date in mind? It seems you will have really upgraded your property with the new addition and landscaping. It’ll be fun to see the finished project.

Thanks David!

Contractor tells me it will take 2 more months. I am counting it as 3, so end of August.

Landscaping will complete very slowly, as I am doing it myself, and learning on the job.
    This is the grass I grew. All the dirt in photo, is from digging for pavers. Hoping to complete pavers by next Weekend.
    Then will start on the side yard. That's the biggest part of property.

PXL_20210609_145130486.jpg

Hi Anuj,
    That is a gorgeous property! Your landscaping looks great and I can see how satisfying it must be to add to it. Enjoy!
    I’m in the process of moving and will be going through some similar projects over the next year so I’m heartened to see your progress.
    A new bigger shop space is in my future too!
    Take care,
    David

50 amp socket is nice for a welder or car charger. Put it so a welder cord can easily go through door and get plugged in. Only weld outside to avoid problems with sparks and fumes. If nothing else rum empty conduit form inside outlet to future outside ones location.
    Make sure welder outlet is wired for true 50 amp service so it can be used for a car charger. A stick welder 50 amp outlet is really only wired for 40 amps. A car charger will overload the wiring.
    Bill D