Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Finally we got permit for construction

Finally we got permit for construction

In our home there is no space for workshop. Not even a car garage (there's a carport).

Right after buying we started on extension work. We are converting the two carports into garage, extending the family room and right under the family room extension there will be workshop.

It's going to be 11.5'x25' and this is roughly 2.5x the largest space I had. Attached to extension there's a deck of roughly same size. We are getting concrete slab poured under it. When more money comes, under deck space will be closed and converted to storage cum workshop extension.

Permit process started in December and moved slowly with no updates from city. Well every once in while when we would call them, they would ask for some additional information. Since February, we kept hearing that permit will be granted in 2 days. Well after a month those two days are over.

Contractor started demo work on old deck and slabs today. 3-4 months and I can get back to making projects I have been planning on in head.

Thought to share excitement here

Congratulations. Post progress pictures.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

FYI

Run 1" sleeved copper supply lines for water, under slab, whether or not you have a permit for it. It might come in useful.

Run a couple 1.5" Schedule 40 for low voltage, coax, in case you ever need it.

Run 4" ABS waste line for sewer, whether or not you have a permit for it. It might come in useful downsteam

Take pictures of everything in the ground before pouring and make some measurements where stuff is, in relation to the slab edge.
    Regards,

Tom

While the electrician is there, besides lots of outlets, put in internet and tv wiring.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Congrats on your project finally moving forward, Anuj!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    FYI

Run 1" sleeved copper supply lines for water, under slab, whether or not you have a permit for it. It might come in useful.

Run 4" ABS waste line for sewer, whether or not you have a permit for it. It might come in useful downsteam

Take pictures of everything in the ground before pouring and make some measurements where stuff is, in relation to the slab edge.
    My modification for this would be PEX for the water line, not copper...

That said, running water and drain could cause havoc with inspections if it's visible and that can bring a project to a halt in many jurisdictions. It's best to get approval for installing the infrastructure "for future use" even if not connected initially.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Congratulations. Post progress pictures.

Mike
    Thanks Mike! Will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    FYI

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Congrats on your project finally moving forward, Anuj!

My modification for this would be PEX for the water line, not copper...

That said, running water and drain could cause havoc with inspections if it's visible and that can bring a project to a halt in many jurisdictions. It's best to get approval for installing the infrastructure "for future use" even if not connected initially.
    Thanks Jim.

I asked contractor for the pipes (water, drain, and an empty conduit). He said it's simple to do but he will check with city before doing it, JIC it causes permit/inspection problems later.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    While the electrician is there, besides lots of outlets, put in internet and tv wiring.
    Thanks. Wasn't thinking about it. Will have these done, along with speaker cables.

Today morning, our old deck got demolished, and they started framing the walls for garage.
    Old slab demolition is next up - on Monday.

Blog Entries
    Good to hear it will finally be getting under way.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Congratulations Anuj!
    I have a similar sized shop and make it work. You’ll enjoy having a larger space I’m sure. Are you planning on wiring for 240V?
    I’m looking forward to the photos.
    Best regards,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Good to hear it will finally be getting under way.

jtk
    Thanks Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by David Publicover View Post
    Congratulations Anuj!
    I have a similar sized shop and make it work. You’ll enjoy having a larger space I’m sure. Are you planning on wiring for 240V?
    I’m looking forward to the photos.
    Best regards,
    David
    Thanks David.
    Yup, getting 240v installed.

I ran 2 20A 240V circuits in my garage. One for the dust collection and the other for my table saw and future tools. At the time I ran 12 ga. wire assuming 20A circuits would be the most I’d ever need based on my 3 hp TS. Of course, I ended up buying a jointer/planer that required 30A and 10 ga wire according to the manufacturer. If I had run 10 initially, all I would have needed to do was change the breaker and receptacle. The difference in price for the heavier gauge wire was negligible for the amount I needed. Just sayin’...

Quote Originally Posted by David Publicover View Post
    I ran 2 20A 240V circuits in my garage. One for the dust collection and the other for my table saw and future tools. At the time I ran 12 ga. wire assuming 20A circuits would be the most I’d ever need based on my 3 hp TS. Of course, I ended up buying a jointer/planer that required 30A and 10 ga wire according to the manufacturer. If I had run 10 initially, all I would have needed to do was change the breaker and receptacle. The difference in price for the heavier gauge wire was negligible for the amount I needed. Just sayin’...
    I was planning based on similar thoughts. I want to buy a 3HP TS so planned 20A 240v. Makes sense to start with 10ga wire. Electrician is coming next week, will get this done with 10ga wire.

Thanks for sharing. Wouldn't have thought about going with 10ga.

You know that garage space has potential for shop work too. You should begin your takeover plan now. Maybe a track saw and sawhorses live in the garage for breaking down plywood, a tool board and workbench for “car” maintenance. Just kidding. But a few extra outlets and boxes for lighting in the garage might prove useful in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    You know that garage space has potential for shop work too. You should begin your takeover plan now. Maybe a track saw and sawhorses live in the garage for breaking down plywood, a tool board and workbench for “car” maintenance. Just kidding. But a few extra outlets and boxes for lighting in the garage might prove useful in the future.
    Yup, getting outlets done. Takeover plan will land me into trouble

Slab is gone. It's getting digged down now.

PXL_20210327_163134430.jpg