Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Finally we got permit for construction

Thought to update.

Exterior siding work, is now all complete.

Dry-walling (minus mudding) work for the shop got completed today. Rest extension are still pending.
    Contractor says shop will be ready to paint in 2 weeks. I take it as 3 weeks

I ordered a few machines:

- SawStop 3HP 36" from Lee Valley
    - Laguna 14BX 220 from Ultimate Tools

These will get delivered on August 23rd. Luckily, both were in stock.

Only item pending is a Dust Collector, which I am still researching.

Congratulations! I’m sure you are keen to get set up. The new tools will be a great addition. I have both a SawStop and a LaGuardia bandsaw and am very pleased with both.
    I, an the other hand, just closed on our house sale today and have moved back to Nova Scotia. My tools are jammed in the basement, waiting for me to get the basement shop wired up and a workspace organized! It’s going to be a project.
    I hope your contractor’s time frame is the right one!

Quote Originally Posted by David Publicover View Post
    Congratulations! I’m sure you are keen to get set up. The new tools will be a great addition. I have both a SawStop and a LaGuardia bandsaw and am very pleased with both.
    I, an the other hand, just closed on our house sale today and have moved back to Nova Scotia. My tools are jammed in the basement, waiting for me to get the basement shop wired up and a workspace organized! It’s going to be a project.
    I hope your contractor’s time frame is the right one!
    Thanks David. All the best for your move.

I understand the feeling. After moving to Canada all my tools stayed mostly packed. And it's a big project but for the best

🤞 contractor will deliver on time. So far he has been good.

Anuj, I live close enough (Children's Hospital area) that if you want to have a "wetting down" get-together, we can enjoy a cold one together.
    Dust Collection; I got mine at Busy Bee, and splurged on the 2HP cyclone & cartridge system. Very similar to the Grizzly, because I'm sure it's the same factory.
    I was a little confused about your power "requirements" for the new Sawstop. The spec sheet I read for the 3HP PCS is 230V 13A. I know you are putting in 30 Amp breakers, but I have 20 Amp coming to where my Sawstop will sit, and my electrician says it's more than ample for the 3HP motor.
    I'm also getting mine from Lee Valley, but Vancouver. Martin is a great guy in Coquitlem, but Dawn (LV Manager here) would string me up by my ****** if I went to another venue - and they've always been fantastic to me.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Aaron, your 20 amp 240v circuit is just fine for the 3hp Sawstop. (and most any other 3hp 240v power tool) It will certainly run on a heavier circuit...I just made arrangements for a used SS for my temporary shop and it will be plugged into a 30 amp circuit because that's what I have available. The specifications indicate it comes with a 15amp plug, actually, but we are free to change that to one that matches the circuit the machine will be plugged into.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    Anuj, I live close enough (Children's Hospital area) that if you want to have a "wetting down" get-together, we can enjoy a cold one together.
    Dust Collection; I got mine at Busy Bee, and splurged on the 2HP cyclone & cartridge system. Very similar to the Grizzly, because I'm sure it's the same factory.
    I was a little confused about your power "requirements" for the new Sawstop. The spec sheet I read for the 3HP PCS is 230V 13A. I know you are putting in 30 Amp breakers, but I have 20 Amp coming to where my Sawstop will sit, and my electrician says it's more than ample for the 3HP motor.
    I'm also getting mine from Lee Valley, but Vancouver. Martin is a great guy in Coquitlem, but Dawn (LV Manager here) would string me up by my ****** if I went to another venue - and they've always been fantastic to me.

Hi Aaron. That would be wonderful. I am near Ranch Park Elementary in Coquitlam. Will PM you.

Dust Collector purchase was more agonizing than Tablesaw and Bandsaw. I wanted a cyclone and >2HP model. I narrowed down to CWI, King and Laguna. Turns up no one has King in stock. Started talking to CWI. On Wednesday CWI quoted me a price with caveat that it will increase on Friday. I did not make up my mind in time and then could not bring myself to pay few hundred dollars more for the same machine.

This left me with only one choice, Laguna P Flux 2HP. Was planning to order the same this Saturday. Well, in meantime I read about Onieda V3000 and ClearVue 1800. Got quotes for ClearVue and found Onieda on Tegs Tool website. Both of these are ~500 more than Laguna. Based on reviews, I placed order for Onieda V3000 with Tegs Tool. Website says it's in stock so hopefully it will work out.

I was originally getting a mix of 20A and 30A done in shop based on requirements. Based on suggestions in this thread, I made it 30A for all 220v sockets. Sawstop will run fine on 20A. I will have to change the plug on Sawstop (and other machines) though.

Lee Valley is wonderful. Not many stores have same level of customer service and nice employees. If something is available at Lee Valley, then they get my business before anyone else.

Hi Anuj,
    The dust collector was a tough one for me too. I bought the CWI 2hp cyclone. It works fine and the Hepa filter does a good job but I often wish I had gone with a Clearvue or Oneida. I think the cyclone separation would be better and it would handle longer runs of ductwork.
    It’s an unfortunate fact that it’s often difficult to know what you want until you buy the wrong thing lol!
    Your new shop sounds like it’s going to be a great place to build and hang out. It’s too bad we are on opposite coasts as I’d like to see it.
    Cheers!

Hi Anuj,
    The dust collector was a tough one for me too. I bought the CWI 2hp cyclone. It works fine and the Hepa filter does a good job but I often wish I had gone with a Clearvue or Oneida. I think the cyclone separation would be better and it would handle longer runs of ductwork.
    It’s an unfortunate fact that it’s often difficult to know what you want until you buy the wrong thing lol!
    Your new shop sounds like it’s going to be a great place to build and hang out. It’s too bad we are on opposite coasts as I’d like to see it.
    Cheers!
    Thanks David. Let me know whenever you are on this coast.

Yup, that's true. Done with multiple purchases in past. Buy and then realize other options is/was better.

This time I am relying heavily on SMC reviews. This is translating into higher expenses though

Small update. Shop is practically ready. Started assembling the new machines. Dust collector assembly in process. Right now buying bits and pieces of dust collector pipes.
    Waiting for adjoining small room/cabinet to get completed. That will house the dust collector. Then finally after > 1 year, I will unpack all my tools and stuff.

PXL_20210910_184514228.jpg

Great looking space! Will look forward to seeing additional progress and projects. You'll love the SS.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Looks great Anuj! I am sure you are excited to get things set up and running. You have a nice collection of tools there. It’s only been a couple months for me and I’m getting restless to have my new shop basement done. I installed new 4’ LED light fixtures this week and managed to empty a couple boxes and put those tools away. I have things mostly set up enough for hand tools but need to get 240V installed before I can use my stationary tools. It’ll be at least a year before it will be in its final configuration (if there is such a thing…) I enjoy seeing your progress as it is a great motivator!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Great looking space! Will look forward to seeing additional progress and projects. You'll love the SS.
    Thanks Christopher.
    Recent thread about Sawstop saving fingers has reaffirmed the decision.

Looks great Anuj! I am sure you are excited to get things set up and running. You have a nice collection of tools there. It’s only been a couple months for me and I’m getting restless to have my new shop basement done. I installed new 4’ LED light fixtures this week and managed to empty a couple boxes and put those tools away. I have things mostly set up enough for hand tools but need to get 240V installed before I can use my stationary tools. It’ll be at least a year before it will be in its final configuration (if there is such a thing…) I enjoy seeing your progress as it is a great motivator!
    Thanks David! Yup, have a list of projects lined up

Shop setup is never ending but the journey is fun.

I installed two LED lights. Have to run few more. Here KMS Tools has them on sale so picked up a bunch. Next weekend I am planning to install ductwork.

Be generous with the lighting...more can be better as it helps eliminate shadows which can affect your labors. I'm honestly a fan of "surface of the sun" lighting in the shop!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Be generous with the lighting...more can be better as it helps eliminate shadows which can affect your labors. I'm honestly a fan of "surface of the sun" lighting in the shop!!
    Makes sense. Plan is to run total of 8 led tube lights. Have bought the tube lights. Planning to run 4 on each side of the room, lengthwise.