Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Finally we got permit for construction

I'll second what Jim said and sounds like you're on your way. Also, would recommend careful consideration of the color of the bulbs. I find most to be too blue/cold. In fact, may replace a few in my shop at the bench to 'warm' things up.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    I'll second what Jim said and sounds like you're on your way. Also, would recommend careful consideration of the color of the bulbs. I find most to be too blue/cold. In fact, may replace a few in my shop at the bench to 'warm' things up.

Best,
    Chris
    4100 color temp has pretty much been my preference. Less that that got too warm and affected color perception while finishing and higher than that (5000+) got too cold, although I suspect it had even better color rendering. 4100 is pretty ubiquitous with many of the "shop" type fixtures and those usable as them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

When I did my shop I wanted to make sure I never wished for more light. I installed 10 high bay LED that were 22,000+ lumens each. At waist level with my phone app for candlepower I am at 149. Shadows are almost non existent. My shop has 14' ceilings so high bays made sense. Arrange your lights so if you feel the need you can add more. I have the inside white as well for highest reflectivity as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    4100 color temp has pretty much been my preference. Less that that got too warm and affected color perception while finishing and higher than that (5000+) got too cold, although I suspect it had even better color rendering. 4100 is pretty ubiquitous with many of the "shop" type fixtures and those usable as them.
    +1. I purchased high CRI (90+) 4100K bulbs, and am very happy with it. Worth it paying more for the high CRI bulbs, IMHO.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I finally got around to testing all lights switched on together. Hung them up temporarily. Will install permanently after ductwork. Makes the room super bright. Actually, way brighter than I thought. I ​am running 4 dual led tube lights (4ft long) on both sides of the shop, lengthwise (total 8). These are 5k.

I like the whitish lights (not bluish). Even inside home we have 5k everywhere, so seems comfortable. Both me and SO like pure white light compared to warmish. I guess, it's to do with tube lights we had at home when growing up.

Finally finished assembling the dust collector. It's in a small room attached to shop, under the deck. Contractor did all the framing and exterior, and I am doing the drywall. This is my first attempt at drywall so going slow. One last round of sanding left.

Hole in the wall for duct and a rectangular cutout for return air is done as well.

I was worried that dust collector will be very noisy and will disturb neighbors. Had walls framed with 24" centers and then I added Rockwool and used 5/8 drywall.

Turned it on and was surprised. It's pretty quite. 10ft outside the room it's barely audible. In the shop, I can hear the hum but can have conversation in normal volume.

Purely frim noise perspective will highly recommend Oneida V3000. Dust collection performance, yet to be seen.

PXL_20210919_071747906.jpg

PXL_20210919_071808740.jpg

Make sure that return air path is not straight to the shop. It needs to be "non-direct" or you'll be sending the noise back with the air.
    --

Make sure that return air path is not straight to the shop. It needs to be "non-direct" or you'll be sending the noise back with the air.

Thanks Jim! Did not think of that.

Will build a baffle.

After a while, building and all static things in shop are done. Ducts were installed, machines hooked up, and new machines inaugurated. Finally tool boxes started to open and hammers were first to go on the wall.
    First project right after was building a baffle for air return (DC in other room).
    I am guessing one more week, and all tools will get unpacked and then there is a list of projects to execute.

PXL_20211020_053903504.jpg

PXL_20211020_053834468.jpg

I think you're short a few hammers, Anuj....
    --

Things are looking good Anuj! Where did you get the “ peg board”? It is a big step up from the stuff I see…
    Make sure you post some photos once you get everything setup! For the initial version at least.

Looking fine Anuj. Waiting to see shavings all over the floor.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I think you're short a few hammers, Anuj....
    Love them

They have some sort of pull. Can't resist buying them whenever I spot one on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by David Publicover View Post
    Things are looking good Anuj! Where did you get the “ peg board”? It is a big step up from the stuff I see…
    Make sure you post some photos once you get everything setup! For the initial version at least.
    Thanks David. These are wallcontrol panels. Here in Canada they were going n sale at globalindustrial.ca website. In US I bought them from cheappegboard.com (scratch & dent - significantly cheaper).

Sure, will be posting the photos. This has been a fun journey so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Looking fine Anuj. Waiting to see shavings all over the floor.
    Thanks Rick.
    Soon it will look a true woodshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Anuj Prateek View Post
    After a while, building and all static things in shop are done. Ducts were installed, machines hooked up, and new machines inaugurated. Finally tool boxes started to open and hammers were first to go on the wall.
    First project right after was building a baffle for air return (DC in other room).
    I am guessing one more week, and all tools will get unpacked and then there is a list of projects to execute.

PXL_20211020_053903504.jpg

PXL_20211020_053834468.jpg
    Congratulations, it looks great.