Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sjobergs 1900 / SB119

Sjobergs 1900 / SB119

Hi all!

I have not seen any comments on the Sjobergs SB119 bench (here on highland). I am in the "more money than time" category, not because of an excess of cash, but a total lack of time due to numerous homeschooled children, homestead to look after, and business. So I am planning to buy a bench. Many furniture items need building for the house (desks for kids, dining table, nightstands, etc.) and I would like to learn hand tools over the next few years as well. We do also have a Tom Donahey shaving horse, which I love.

This seems similar to the Elite in that the legs are flush with the front, but it has two big differences:
    1. I believe the term is "shoulder" vice with a wooden screw on the SB119 as opposed to the end vice on the Elite
    2. Dog holes are square along the front for use with the shoulder vice, then 3/4" round holes are inline with the front vice (as opposed to the Elite which has all 1" round holes, with two rows along the length)

I have an Elite 2000 ordered but delivery will be in June based on the backorder status. The SB119 is in stock.

As a novice hand tool woodworker, will it matter having square vs. round and the shoulder vice, or will I just get used to what I've got and enjoy it? Or is the more "modern" flexibility of the Elite worth waiting for? In many ways I appreciate the nostalgia of the SB119 very much, and picture it being beautiful in the shop. But I want to make sure it would be just as functional as well, and it's effectively the same price.

What are your thoughts on these? For the record I also really like the H&H All Round as well (and Highland has some), in case anyone has comments on that.

For the record - as I am just learning hand tools I will be primarily a power tool operator for at least a few years until I build up some skills. And being a father with limited time I anticipate using mostly power tools for many years regardless. So I'm hoping the bench will be just as useful for routers, Domino, etc. within reason. But my 12 year old son is very excited about green woodworking, especially spoons, so we'll be in both camps.

And finally - yes - I would consider an L-N bench (who wouldn't?) but as far as I can see they are not available and there is no indication when they will be.

Thanks all!
    Patrick
    Last edited by Patrick Krekelberg; 03-26-2021 at 12:02 AM.

Do you already have or have space for another rough bench for all sorts, metalwork for instance, along with having a pair of nice ones?
    I can't see the flimsy one being much good for planing without a bit of work, or at the very least bracing the end against the wall, or against something that's against the wall.
    So depending on what you do may reduce the length you can plane easily, if that matters.

Have you looked for used ones?

I do have a simple 8' long simple 2x4 bench on the back wall of my shop with an oak plywood top which is mostly a catch-all above, and storage for chainsaw and forestry tools below. So this "fancy" bench, whatever we end up with, would be a woodworking bench first and foremost. I am just now getting a lumber rack built to get wood off the floor, and figuring out organization (we've been building the house for 3 years, shop is on the same property). I am very much looking forward to having a usable wood shop!

I haven't looked around much for used ones just because I suspect shipping would be tricky, but that would certainly be an option.

Cheers!

Blog Entries
    Patrick, Looking at the benches it doesn't seem any of them have what comes to mind when a shoulder vise is mentioned.

My Sjöberg bench came with two simple vises:

Cement Filled Bucket Stabilizer.jpg

My favorite feature of this style of vise is the work piece can pass through and beyond the vise. A shoulder vise doesn't allow this. Neither does the end vise shown on some of the benches you linked.

If you look under the right end you will see a bucket filled with concrete to hold the bench stable. When planing the bench had a tendency to walk or tilt.

The least desirable aspect of a simple vise is its tendency to rack. My solution to that was to make an anti rack spacer stack:

Anti-Rack Spacer Stack.jpg

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?183743

With four blades of 1/8", 1/4", 1/2" & 1" it can be used to prevent racking upto 1-7/8". There is also a block used with this of 1"X2" for larger openings.

It is easy for me to make all the dogs one could want on my lathe. If one doesn't have a lathe then it is easy to purchase dowel stock and make some dogs. Mine use bullet catches:

Bench Dogs.jpg

There are many other ways to make a springy catch to hold them in place.

It amazes me how the same bench now 15-20 years later is twice the cost.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have no personal experience with that bench. It comes in a flat pack, nominal 80x30x8. I don't know how humid northern MN gets in the summer, but folks from there up here don't complain about the cold because we rarely have wind to go with the temps.

It is rated five stars on Amazon but only two reviews. I am not a fan of metal fasteners. I understand about having more money than time. I think the most important thing to recognize is your first workbench probably won't be your last workbench.

I do not expect that bench to hold up very well or very long to regular hand tool processes.

I started with this bench.

If you screw on a plywood backer over the rear frame it will be *much* stiffer.

It's my opinion that the vises are merely adequate.

If your spending serious cash (in lieu of time) I recommend having a solid bench built to spec.

https://www.mnwwg.org/classes.html

> In many ways I appreciate the nostalgia of the SB119 very much, and picture it being beautiful in the shop. But I want to make sure it would be just as functional as well, and it's effectively the same price.

I have not owned sjobergs benches but have worked on them a couple times. They are quite light, the leg assembly is a bit flimsy. This can easily be improved. However they look nice, they are functional, the vises are OK, they can be ordered, shipped and delivered to your doorstep. If you value your time, go ahead.

Now, as someone else said, it might not be your last bench.

Regarding shoulder vise versus end vise, both work OK.

Regarding bench dogs, I prefer the 3/4 - 19mm round holes, to accommodate dogs and holdfasts.

I understand budget is a real thing. But I've never heard anyone suggest BenchCrafted benches wouldn't be sturdy enough. Have you looked at them? At least as a point of reference? E.g:

BenchCrafted Classic Workbench

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I started with this bench.

If your spending serious cash (in lieu of time) I recommend having a solid bench built to spec.

https://www.mnwwg.org/classes.html
    That is a great idea I hadn't considered, but should since any of these would take weeks to receive anyway.

@Jim you started with one of the Sjobergs Elite benches, is that right? I have seen others on the forum who are quite happy with them.

Benchcrafted - definitely an option since they are right down in Iowa. No end vice on the Classic but I know some say it's not necessary. And expensive, although I am not suggesting they're not worth the cost.

I'm with David above on the Benchcrafted recommendation. I've worked on a Sjobergs, and it was OK, but it did not impress. The front vise has less capacity that virtually any other option, and it lacks mass for hand tool work.
    If you have the funds, also consider a custom bench from Frank Strazza. You'll be able to pass it on to your son, and it will thrive under any kind of woodworking task.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Krekelberg View Post

@Jim you started with one of the Sjobergs Elite benches, is that right? I have seen others on the forum who are quite happy with them.
    I reinforced mine with a plywood panel on the back, and it was better, but the vises were clunky.

I haunted the local Craigslist until a well built bench came available.

Mitch Peacock has one of the heavier ones I believe, not sure if it's the elite though.
    Might be worth seeing if he has any video blogs on youtube about it.

The idea that a plywood panel on the back connecting the hind legs to the top makes a lot of intuitive sense to me. God be with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    The idea that a plywood panel on the back connecting the hind legs to the top makes a lot of intuitive sense to me. God be with you.
    I stuck it on after installing a shelf.

I kept pushing things off the shelf which upset the local spider population. Dumb luck it made the bench better.

Patrick,

Full disclosure, I'm a Moravian workbench fan boy. I've built a few and have worked on several almost exclusively since the first build. I understand more money than time and if you wish to buy here is a link to a builder https://woodandshop.com/portable-mor...ench-for-sale/ A link to Will Myers who has free plans and sometimes has a Moravian bench for sale https://eclecticmechanicals.com/2018...ch-plans-free/

Unlike some other bench builds, the Moravian bench is an easy, cheep, and quick build. None of the joints are difficult nor does it require any special tools. A hand saw, a few chisels, and a couple of planes will do the job. I can build a finished bench in less than a month while working full time at my day job, keeping Casa Chaos from falling down, and taking care of MsBubba. I've documented several builds here on the Creek and on my blog http://imaokguy.blogspot.com

No real dog in this fight but you can have a better bench for just a little time and a lot less money. Using wood from the local Home Depot and vise hardware from BenchCrafted or Lake Erie you can have a bench that is a joy to work on and will last a lifetime for under $500 USD. The cost will go up if you insist on a hardwood slab but there is no need, I've one bench with a SYP slab that is over 40 years old and the slab just keeps getting better with age.

ken