Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 114

Thread: A Building Appears

  1. #76
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    21,227
    Blog Entries
    1
    4 foot LED shop lites will hang just below the ducting. I ran 6500k in the previous shop and I liked the bright light but, had to keep a variety of lamps available to use for color matching and finishing as most folks don't run 6500k in their homes ;-) The new fixtures are 4000k which worked best in my "bake off".

    New Shop (137).jpg
    I always forget . . . Is it the letter "S" or the letter "C" that is silent in the word scent?
    - Glenn (the second "N" is silent) Bradley

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Posts
    2,602
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    4 foot LED shop lites will hang just below the ducting. I ran 6500k in the previous shop and I liked the bright light but, had to keep a variety of lamps available to use for color matching and finishing as most folks don't run 6500k in their homes ;-) The new fixtures are 4000k which worked best in my "bake off".

    New Shop (137).jpg
    I took the same route. My shop is at 4100K, but I made the finishing room 2700K, because most of my pieces go in my house, which is exclusively 2700K, for color matching purposes.

    Shop is coming together great, Glenn. Will you have a dedicated finishing room/area inside?
    - When God closes a door, he opens a window. Our heating bill is outrageous & six raccoons got in last night. Please God, this has to stop!
    - Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Collegeville PA (30 min west of Philly)
    Posts
    946
    Blog Entries
    1
    Looking good Glenn! I've been following along as I do my much smaller renovation, and am enjoying watching the process!
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    21,227
    Blog Entries
    1
    I've been ticking things off the list.
    Gable vents, both ends.
    New Shop (138).jpg
    Platforms at the top of the attic ladder for holiday storage.
    New Shop (140).jpg
    The shop is close enough to the house to be well within spec for CAT-6 cable. This spot is for an AP.
    New Shop (153).jpg
    The main entrance for data is also the source location for the PC / music system so all the speaker wires go to that area as well.
    New Shop (149).jpg
    The cables dress in well for use. In this pic they are all jammed up to allow for drywall work.
    I always forget . . . Is it the letter "S" or the letter "C" that is silent in the word scent?
    - Glenn (the second "N" is silent) Bradley

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    SE PA - Central Bucks County
    Posts
    56,945
    Make sure you use exterior/direct burial rated Ethernet cable in your conduit from the house. You may also want to make sure you can support adding a small Ethernet switch in the future in case you want to support some wired connections...wireless is great for mobility but some things do perform better with wired connections. I'm not suggesting you install all that stuff now...'just have power and a nice slack loop so you can support the terminations necessary to insert a small switch into the mix later if you decide you want/need one.
    --

    The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    21,227
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Make sure you use exterior/direct burial rated Ethernet cable in your conduit from the house. You may also want to make sure you can support adding a small Ethernet switch in the future in case you want to support some wired connections...wireless is great for mobility but some things do perform better with wired connections. I'm not suggesting you install all that stuff now...'just have power and a nice slack loop so you can support the terminations necessary to insert a small switch into the mix later if you decide you want/need one.

    Thanks Jim. 37 years in I.T. (I don't mean that in any kind of superior way at all. You do something that long and anyone can accidentally learn something ). Direct burial rated, UV resistant, gel filled, etc. and running in conduit. I will install a small form factor gig switch as modern devices play better with modern switches. I have a CAT-6 cable in ENT and a power outlet appearance in the ceiling in case I go with an AP in that location.

    The hope is for a little wireless bleed through for the patio area on the outside of that wall. If not there are always repeaters or just moving to mesh. Where I live I am lucky if I can get anything over 20Mb speeds leaving the house. This means I can afford a lot of my wireless bandwidth budget for backhaul without noticing.

    I have given away most of my older electronics although I may have an old Kalpana switch holding up one corner of a garden shed somewhere on the property

    New Shop (158).jpg

    Got the offset 3/4 height walls up. They will serve as still more wall space . . . something like so.

    New Shop (168).jpg

    The left wall is a peg wall that will hold various jigs when not in use. The back side divides the spray area from the shop-proper. The right wall is for a hanging tool cabinet and clamps, clamps, clamps. The back side will be metal cabinets that I use for parts and powered hand tool storage.

    I'm not trying to over-share. I just know there are others building or planning shops right now. If I keep throwing what I am doing out there maybe folks will say "Hey, that's a good idea" or "Jeez, I would never do that!". Either way it adds value
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-15-2021 at 3:31 PM.
    I always forget . . . Is it the letter "S" or the letter "C" that is silent in the word scent?
    - Glenn (the second "N" is silent) Bradley

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    In the foothills of the Sandia Mountains
    Posts
    15,731
    Glenn, I am enjoying your shop build with much envy. Why you are standing there with your hands in your pockets!
    Please help support the Creek.


    During the middle ages they celebrated the end of the plague with wine and orgies. Does anyone know if there is anything planned when this one ends?

    ---

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    SE PA - Central Bucks County
    Posts
    56,945
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Thanks Jim. 37 years in I.T. (I don't mean that in any kind of superior way at all. You do something that long and anyone can accidentally learn something ). Direct burial rated, UV resistant, gel filled, etc. and running in conduit. I will install a small form factor gig switch as modern devices play better with modern switches. I have a CAT-6 cable in ENT and a power outlet appearance in the ceiling in case I go with an AP in that location.

    The hope is for a little wireless bleed through for the patio area on the outside of that wall. If not there are always repeaters or just moving to mesh. Where I live I am lucky if I can get anything over 20Mb speeds leaving the house. This means I can afford a lot of my wireless bandwidth budget for backhaul without noticing.
    Yea, I also did the 38+ years in IT and telecom on both sides of the counter, as it were.

    Treat yourself to the mesh. TOTALLY worth it. And mesh nodes that are hard wired are even better. In fact, you don't need tri-band for back-haul with wired nodes so you can save some bucks unless you really want WiFi 6, etc. If you don't have more than 500 mb Internet service, there's no point in WiFI 6, either.

    If you need a small unmanaged gig switch, I suspect I have one hanging around I could send to you. Email me about that if you're inclined.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 05-15-2021 at 7:35 PM.
    --

    The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    In the foothills of the Sandia Mountains
    Posts
    15,731
    I agree with Jim on the mesh upgrade. I installed an Orbi 10 last year and all my wi-fi headaches vanished. I went from an iffy 2-3 bars in the shop to a solid 5.
    It hasn’t hiccuped once.
    Please help support the Creek.


    During the middle ages they celebrated the end of the plague with wine and orgies. Does anyone know if there is anything planned when this one ends?

    ---

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    SE PA - Central Bucks County
    Posts
    56,945
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I agree with Jim on the mesh upgrade. I installed an Orbi 10 last year and all my wi-fi headaches vanished. I went from an iffy 2-3 bars in the shop to a solid 5.
    It hasn’t hiccuped once.
    I had Velops at the old property (actually, it's still there and working since my daughter and her partner are house sitting and need to work from home) and put in an EERO Pro6 here at the new property as I have gigabit symmetrical service. Mesh completely solved our communication issues at the old property which was also in a cellular dead spot and made from materials that didn't like to pass wireless signals.
    --

    The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    21,227
    Blog Entries
    1
    Now you guys have done it… I now can’t keep myself from percolating on this :-).
    I always forget . . . Is it the letter "S" or the letter "C" that is silent in the word scent?
    - Glenn (the second "N" is silent) Bradley

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    SE PA - Central Bucks County
    Posts
    56,945
    --

    The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    21,227
    Blog Entries
    1
    Ah, you eee-vil buggers . With the shop being 30 x 40 I have decided to go with the wired connection to the computer location with a single AP for any wireless requirements in the shop should they arise.
    I always forget . . . Is it the letter "S" or the letter "C" that is silent in the word scent?
    - Glenn (the second "N" is silent) Bradley

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Sothern Coastal Maine
    Posts
    16
    Thanks for taking the time to document your build. I eagerly wait for the next installment. It is extremely clear that you have thought through all of the details.

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    21,227
    Blog Entries
    1
    Nice to have friends with toys.

    New Shop (171).jpgNew Shop (170).jpg
    I always forget . . . Is it the letter "S" or the letter "C" that is silent in the word scent?
    - Glenn (the second "N" is silent) Bradley

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •