Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: A Building Appears

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Glenn is that a dust bin monitor on the wall?
    That is the remote receiver for the cyclone. Still moving forward . . .

Most of that stuff on top of the bench that was just moved in . . .
    New Shop (474).jpg
    . .. ends up on the end caps.
    New Shop (475).jpg
    The milling area is starting to flesh out.
    New Shop (470).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Glenn, do you have a link to the plans for that vac hose reel that you have on the wall? I need to make something like that.

Those are Fast Cap products. I was working through some plans for one of my own when I stumbled across their offering. I got them when they first came out and they were about $100 which was not much more than the cost of the parts. They are now about $135 which might be enough to tip one into making their own. I did sand and seal all the plywood parts. They arrive good enough to use out of the box. I just wanted things a little smoother to the touch.

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Things are getting pretty granular now so I will probably post less often for a while. Anyone alive when IBM was a blue-chip stock will recognize at least the color of this tape reel storage cabinet.
    New Shop (479).jpg
    Note the family resemblance.
    New Shop (480).jpg
    It is serving a higher purpose now.
    New Shop (481).jpg
    Things don't always unpack in the order that suits you best. Three containers had about 80% of what goes in this cabinet though.
    New Shop (482).jpg
    I'll post again when something happens that looks like something happened ;-))
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-10-2021 at 3:33 PM. Reason: 28603

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    A few more progress shots. I made a simple fixture that holds the tube that holds my straight edge. I like it well out of the way but, easy enough to grab for those times I want it. Straight edge goes in the tube, top of tube slides into the top saddle, and bottom of the tube rests in the cup at the base. The saddles and "cup" are leftover electrical parts from the project.

New Shop (486).jpg

My right end of the tablesaw used to be no-man's-land. I ran electrical and dust collection between the end of the saw and the wall. My cyclone also used to stand parallel to the operator position in this general area . . . ear-blistering. The upside is that I had walls nearby to hang all that stuff that goes along with a tablesaw and router table on. I planned a blank expanse of wall behind the operator positions of those tools in the new shop. I then realized I now had access to the sides / ends of the cabinets involved. I added pegboard panels to these areas and it looks like it will work out well.

New Shop (488).jpg

I also bumped the jointer from 4" to 6". What a difference!

New Shop (494).jpgNew Shop (495).jpg

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I also bumped the jointer from 4" to 6". What a difference!

New Shop (494).jpgNew Shop (495).jpg
    I did that also a few years ago with my Laguna jointer/planer. It made a HUGE difference. Now you have to paint it the color of the Grizzly so it looks part of the machine(says the OCD woodworker).
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I did that also a few years ago with my Laguna jointer/planer. It made a HUGE difference. Now you have to paint it the color of the Grizzly so it looks part of the machine(says the OCD woodworker).

Thirded. I went from 4" to 6" on a Grizzly 490X and it's worked out great! Only issue is it seems like the jointer leaks like a seive to begin with, so at some point I might try to plug some of the holes. OTOH, it does fine as long as I turn it on. Not sure what sort of fine dust is produced by a helical head jointer, but I'm guessing it's not as much as a saw.

Blog Entries
    Well, if I am down to caulking door trim and touching up paint I guess this journey is over.

Thanks to everyone that tagged along, gave me ideas (knowingly or unknowingly), and encouragement. Anything that happens from here on will be considered an actual shop activity and will get its own thread if deserving. Thanks again!

– Samuel Butler

Glenn,

congrats! And I’d offer you need something more ceremonial than door caulk to call it done, no? Regardless, will look forward to seeing the activity in your new space. And thanks for sharing-has been informative and inspiring.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

A project well done! I truly have appreciated this thread as it gave me some things to think about when it comes time for my own new shop building, hopefully within the next year.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Thanks all. One last blast. I was mounting the rear speakers and thought to take a couple of shots from that location.

New Shop (513).jpg . New Shop (514).jpg

– Samuel Butler

Congratulations on a well thought out woodworking shop Glenn! Thanks for letting us tag along in the process!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks for sharing. Beautiful shop.

Congrats Glenn! Awesome build. Beautiful job on the planning and execution. Thanks for the detailed documentation of the process.

I have a feeling this will be a long referred to thread.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Very nice shop setup. I think the proper benediction here is "may this place never be this clean again".
    No idea if I will ever build a new shop, but I know it would be fun!

Blog Entries
    I lust after your shop! And I can't believe how much empty wall space you have...