Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: A Building Appears

Glenn, I love your cabinets for your drill press! I've been needing some similar for several years now. My drill bits are scattered from a drawer in my mobile turning cabinet to a wall cabinet to an open bowl on top of my mobile general woodworking tool cabinet.

Your shop is comin to fruition in well planned way. Nicely done Sir! Keep the posts and photos coming!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Glenn, I love your cabinets for your drill press! I've been needing some similar for several years now.
    Your shop is looking better and better by the minute, Glenn. Nice work!!
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys! Got the drum sander in this morning. It is surprising how much abrasives weigh if you get enough of them in a small space.

Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-19-2021 at 5:32 PM. Reason: 25084
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Of all the things that have happened with this project, for some reason I feel that this . . .

New Shop (402).jpg

. . . is a real milestone(???).

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    I decided to eliminate the only thing about the 3HP PCS Saw Stop that I have ever felt was sub-par; the side table.

New Shop (420).jpg

I need to do a small mod on the legs as the cast iron ribs just happened to end up right at the location for the connection of the stock legs.

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I decided to eliminate the only thing about the 3HP PCS Saw Stop that I have ever felt was sub-par; the side table.
    I've got the same saw, with the router table on the right hand side. How did you get cast iron instead of the mdf/wood table they sell with it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    I've got the same saw, with the router table on the right hand side. How did you get cast iron instead of the mdf/wood table they sell with it?

The additional cast iron is from a previous saw; a pre-Steel-City Orion product. The holes follow the C-man, Delta, etc. standard positions. Other than a few new hole positions (the Saw Stop wood table holes are lower than the typical cast iron holes) it went together pretty quickly.

New Shop (418).jpg . New Shop (419).jpg

– Samuel Butler

Very cool! That is a lot of iron. I don’t think they sell them any more but I bought a Woodhaven side table for my TS. IIRC, it’s 1Ό thick. I added a support frame work under it and a collector box under the router. It has been rock solid for 20 years.

Your shop is looking beautiful! I would die for that much space!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Thanks Bruce. Too bad they are not offering that table anymore. That would be a good solution for anyone else battling the stock table.

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    A sheet of heavy cardboard would almost be an improvement on the stock table. I believe the reason they don't provide a more substantial one is that so many people make something themselves. I tossed mine & made one out of 3 layers of BB plywood with plastic laminate top & bottom & cut an opening for a router lift.

I went all cast iron, too, Glenn...although it's not quite the monster yours is!!

IMG_9886.jpg. IMG_9888.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I went all cast iron, too, Glenn...although it's not quite the monster yours is!!
    That looks great Jim. I think I only have about 1 more wing's worth than you and your router table is built in. Very nice. The extra mass really paid off on my hybrid saw. I was going to end up storing that saw so thought using the wings made sense.

– Samuel Butler

Yea, I like the mass for sure. I did put the small BenchDog extension on the other end to provide a few more inches of space to the left of the blade and insure that the router top on the right was more engaged with the rails...which were cut quite short by the previous owner. I got about 22" of rip with the fence, but that's just fine for my purposes in the temporary shop.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    You can always bump that tube over one set of holes and pick up more rip capacity if you ever need it. My percolation on how to modify the leg attachment points eventually led me to abandon the legs altogether. I fashioned these blocks from some dimensional lumber.
    New Shop (421).jpg
    The slot will accept the webbing in the casting under the wings. The height is adjustable and there will be four total.
    New Shop (423).jpg
    They will be at the edge of the wing, front and back, where it attaches to the rails. The small block of plywood is just to let me grab a pic of how they work. A larger piece of ply now stretches front to back to distribute the weight. I can't tell you how long I have waited to see this all together again.
    New Shop (424).jpg
    The accessory cabinet acting as the table support gives the saw a sort of gravity defying look
    New Shop (427).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-28-2021 at 12:15 PM. Reason: 26343

– Samuel Butler