Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: A Building Appears

Nice, Glenn! I think I have the exact same mini-split. Are you flaring the cut ends of the lineset, yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Good catch and also . . . true. Over the last couple of decades I realize that I cut 4 x 8 sheets so rarely that the dimension I have planned is fine. I can comfortably run a full sheet of 60" x 60" baltic birch ply which is the type I use almost exclusively. I have a track saw for initial breakdown of other sheet goods.

Then this is a great setup

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs;[URL="tel:3123858"
    3123858[/URL]]Nice, Glenn! I think I have the exact same mini-split. Are you flaring the cut ends of the lineset, yourself?
    yes. I found it very straightforward with a good flaring tool and careful measurements. Interesting because plumbing usually hates me and causes me all kinds of grief.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Moving in baby steps now while I wait for an assist with the indoor unit mounting and vacuuming. Someone mentioned the fact that the attic ladder only came with one handrail on the right side. Once mentioned I noticed how this could be a problem if something went sideways while on the ladder. I made a left side one out of scrap found around the temporary shop.
    New Shop (224).jpg . New Shop (225).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-05-2021 at 2:15 PM. Reason: 11267

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    HVAC unit 1 is fully tested and operational.
    New Shop (230).jpgNew Shop (231).jpg

– Samuel Butler

That will be nice while you are working on your fit-out even though it's too small for the whole space. But if could take the edge off on a nasty day if you happen to have one.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Both HVAC units in and functional. Time for a few odds and ends before I get started on the DC shed.

– Samuel Butler

Will you be returning the air from the D/C to the shop?

While it's nice to have access to the attic, it might be best to store nothing up there.

I installed cheap peel and stick vinyl tiles on the floor of my shop. Great for dust and stain control, but it does always look a bit dusty.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post

While it's nice to have access to the attic, it might be best to store nothing up there.

I installed cheap peel and stick vinyl tiles on the floor of my shop. Great for dust and stain control, but it does always look a bit dusty.
    Does this make the floor slippery?
    Ron

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post

Cyclone will vent outside.
    Attic has just enough room for a few Holiday decorations. Purposely limited by the available flat space ;-)

DC shed . . . some assembly required ;-)

New Shop (232).jpg

– Samuel Butler

Just a note of reassurance, My DC (3HP Gorilla) was switched to outside venting about 5 years ago, and I have experienced no seat of the pants difference in cooling or heating the shop.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Just a note of reassurance, My DC (3HP Gorilla) was switched to outside venting about 5 years ago, and I have experienced no seat of the pants difference in cooling or heating the shop.
    Thanks Rick. I appreciate the input. That supports my quasi-scientific figgerin'. I was also stressing about return air for a while. With the volume of the building it looks like it may be a non-issue; at least minor enough to "do nothing" until I actually have the DC running so I can real-world test.

– Samuel Butler

I think that the prudent step would be to pre-plan for a way to return air to the shop (via an indirect path for sound abatement) even if you don't executed on it now. Many folks honestly run their systems somewhat infrequently and in your climate, there would be little worry about exhibiting outside, at least normally. But consider that sometimes things change. You may or may not become more dependent on the air conditioning based on some of the whacko things going on with weather patterns. That aside, if you started using a CNC machine and were doing long job cut times, the impact of exhausting outside changes big-time from what it was dancing around the table saw, jointer, etc. I've had many days where my cyclone ran all day long...literally...when the CNC was being used either for a "long job" or cutting repetitive things like chair seats. Having things figured out now about how you would "switch" to filtering and returning the air is a good thing, IMHO.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I think that the prudent step would be to pre-plan for a way to return air to the shop (via an indirect path for sound abatement) even if you don't executed on it now. Many folks honestly run their systems somewhat infrequently and in your climate, there would be little worry about exhibiting outside, at least normally. But consider that sometimes things change. You may or may not become more dependent on the air conditioning based on some of the whacko things going on with weather patterns. That aside, if you started using a CNC machine and were doing long job cut times, the impact of exhausting outside changes big-time from what it was dancing around the table saw, jointer, etc. I've had many days where my cyclone ran all day long...literally...when the CNC was being used either for a "long job" or cutting repetitive things like chair seats. Having things figured out now about how you would "switch" to filtering and returning the air is a good thing, IMHO.
    I am with Jim. I would preplan a return, frame it in, insulate the area and accurately mark it's location. Later if the need arises, you would only have to remove the cover in that area, remove the insulation and trim it out.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Thanks Jim and Ken. I do have SU drawings of folded baffles that will fit between studs connecting outside to inside. These may come in handy in a couple of ways. Return air for the shop and cross ventilation for the DC shed. Not sure yet how warm its going to get in there with the DC running.

Primed some roof sheathing this morning. During the heat wave I am getting up at first light and priming / painting things like siding, trim, and other materials for the DC shed.

Fortunately I can run the HVAC which allows me to work til about 10am. After that running the HVAC in an un-insulated building with no ceiling and gable and ridge vents gets a little silly
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-17-2021 at 3:27 PM.

– Samuel Butler