Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: A Building Appears

Blog Entries

Thanks to All for the Input Over the Years

As Jim mentions, having your control joints sawed instead of troweled is only one of many things I will be doing during this shop build that are a direct result of listening and sharing with others. I want to send out a think you to all those people who gave me ideas and contributed to my decisions often without realizing they had.

Although I get a lot of direct input from reading the threads there is a large amount of info out there that is "between the lines". I think it is safe to say that I have picked up things as much from seeing something in the background of a picture or reading something mentioned in passing during the primary discussion as I have from the topic at hand.

Thanks to all who have contributed to my personal 'knowledge base'. Directly or indirectly, purposefully or without realizing it, it doesn't matter. Thank you
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Glenn, what sealant are you using? Some are so soft that just walking on a dirty floor can force gunk into the sealant.

From the title I was expecting the Amish walking the barn to a new location video.
    Bill D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZL7TqSeDus
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-07-2021 at 2:38 PM.

Blog Entries
    Tremco Dymonic FC. The sealant is just below slab level in the (fat) 1/8" saw kerf. Once cured it seems pretty resilient to my purposeful attempts to pierce or dislodge it. It is normally used in much wider joints like driveways and around pool edges.

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Today I got more of the joints sealed and added the second service panel.

New Shop (100).jpgNew Shop (101).jpg

– Samuel Butler

It will be good for you to be able to get at least some temporary lighting in there now that you have your panels in. When do you expect to get the power live?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    It will be good for you to be able to get at least some temporary lighting in there now that you have your panels in. When do you expect to get the power live?

It's live now. It is hard to not get ahead of myself. There is so much to do. The doing of it is part of the fun for me although I don't want to drag things out. Being an ex-gear-head for large scale projects I approach things with a plan, a sequence of events, and attempt to stay nimble enough to keep things moving forward when emergent situations arise. Ouch! I slipped back into meeting-mode for moment .

Keeping my blinders on somewhat I am sealing joints, drilling wire path holes and performing other tasks associated with the wiring plan. In sunny SoCal just opening the doors lets in plenty of light for now. Another advantage of being less than 50' from the house is an easy extension cord reach. Some wall outlets and overhead lighting will certainly be the first things to "go live".
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 04-08-2021 at 9:33 AM.

– Samuel Butler

I wasn't sure how much light you were getting but also forgot that you have that reflective surface on the inside of the sheathing that helps a lot with bouncing the light around. I'm beginning to think about some of these steps in more detail now for my own future shop build...closing on the new property is next week. So I"m living vicariously through your project!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    It's live now. It is hard to not get ahead of myself. There is so much to do. The doing of it is part of the fun for me although I don't want to drag things out. Being an ex-gear-head for large scale projects I approach things with a plan, a sequence of events, and attempt to stay nimble enough to keep things moving forward when emergent situations arise. Ouch! I slipped back into meeting-mode for moment .

Keeping my blinders on somewhat I am sealing joints, drilling wire path holes and performing other tasks associated with the wiring plan. In sunny SoCal just opening the doors lets in plenty of light for now. Another advantage of being less than 50' from the house is an easy extension cord reach. Some wall outlets and overhead lighting will certainly be the first things to "go live".
    Glenn, I follow your thread with a certain fondness. It was shortly after joining the Creek, I built my shop. I was still working ridiculous hours in hospitals and doing the stuff you are doing in your new shop. It was a labor of love. I was a professional detail freak and institutionalist. I used the same mind set as I worked to install the electrical service, insulate and finish the interior of the empty shell I had a contractor build. Yet, when I walk into it regularly, I appreciate the heated and lighted shop! Next I need to figure out how to cool it in the hot summers here.

Enjoy the process and the progress as you go! The journey is half the fun!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Nothing that shows but I finished sealing the control joints.

This has been a goal for many years so I am happy to take my time and do the little things that will keep the build trouble free for years to come. Here's an example of the space with the doors open around 10 am.

New Shop (102).jpg

– Samuel Butler

Did you have the Tuff Shed folks arrange for the slab or did you contract for that independently?
    --

Blog Entries
    How furniture makers bore for Romex

New Shop (103).jpg

– Samuel Butler

New Shop (103).jpg

LOL/ I would expect nothing less!
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

New Shop (103).jpg

I don't see the edges chamfered ;-)

Don't forget the staple within 6" of each hole.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.