Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: A Building Appears

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike King View Post
    I lust after your shop! And I can't believe how much empty wall space you have...

Not for long. The wall space was part of the plan since I use so much of it. Ergo, no windows . I finally got one of the lumber racks up. I have a list of things to do and didn't really want to schlep wood just now. I realized that I make trips back and forth to the house (45 feet away) several times a day for coffee, lunch, whatever. I started taking a board back to the shop from one of the stash spots in the garage on my return trips.

So far I'm making progress without taking any additional trips or interrupting my flow ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I put racking just like that up in my garage for lumber a couple of years ago. I probably have it overloaded, but it has been rock solid the whole time.

Glenn, I had one of those rip off the wall in my previous shop. Personally, I would go for a heavier duty one. That's what I did in the new shop, and I feel much safer. Though it is very good looking, and I presume in 8 studs, so there is considerable support there. I just think if you load it up, that's a lot of torque on the metal shelving pieces.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I use the heavy steel Stirling shelf system. It used to be available from HD, but I've only been able to source it from Lee Valley in recent years.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Glenn, I had one of those rip off the wall in my previous shop. Personally, I would go for a heavier duty one. That's what I did in the new shop, and I feel much safer. Though it is very good looking, and I presume in 8 studs, so there is considerable support there. I just think if you load it up, that's a lot of torque on the metal shelving pieces.

I appreciate the info Alan. I ran a version of these in the previous shop with the same bracket spacing. These brackets and standards are actually a heavier duty version of those that I used to use. One difference is that there is drywall between the standards and the studs here whereas I was directly on the studs in the previous shop. I do use hardened screws and more mounting points than come stock. It can be hard to find the starting point in a progressive failure (bracket fails, load shifts to screws which fail and then it all come tumbling down for example) but were you able to determine what gave out?

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I appreciate the info Alan. I ran a version of these in the previous shop with the same bracket spacing. These brackets and standards are actually a heavier duty version of those that I used to use. One difference is that there is drywall between the standards and the studs here whereas I was directly on the studs in the previous shop. I do use hardened screws and more mounting points than come stock. It can be hard to find the starting point in a progressive failure (bracket fails, load shifts to screws which fail and then it all come tumbling down for example) but were you able to determine what gave out?
    No I wasn't Glenn. I really was more concerned about the car it landed on. It looked like it was a progressive failure and pulled away like a zipper opening, but that's about all I determined.

Needless to say, my present wall hanging lumber rack is driven into studs, cinder block, and basically built for a nuclear attack.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    No I wasn't Glenn. I really was more concerned about the car it landed on.
    Gaaaaah!!! I can understand why what happened was a lot more important than how . Glad no one was hurt in that.

– Samuel Butler

I just went through this entire thread. You are building what many of us dream of having. I was clearing thinking of another thread here on Sawmill about the hobby, is it woodworking or building the shop?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    I just went through this entire thread. You are building what many of us dream of having. I was clearing thinking of another thread here on Sawmill about the hobby, is it woodworking or building the shop?

I know what you mean. I only recently got the shop going and it seems everything I have made so far with one exception has been for the shop . I hope to start using the shop to make things instead of making things for the shop soon.

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I know what you mean. I only recently got the shop going and it seems everything I have made so far with one exception has been for the shop . I hope to start using the shop to make things instead of making things for the shop soon.
    Well than you also run out of things to make, unless you are selling.