Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: A Building Appears

Blog Entries
    The doc says I am off light duty and can move to "medium" duty. I am also done with my PT which pretty much made every day useless for the last 2 weeks . . . sheesh! Moving on . . .

I don't think I showed my super sophisticated drywall hole alignment jig that helped me space the holes for the custom hangers as well as keep things in line. Witness marks on the jig match up with the laser level lines to keep things somewhat true.
    New Shop (358).jpg
    The milling area consists of four machines, jointer, planer, bandsaw and drum sander. There will be a vertical array going up the middle of these machines that will provide power and dust collection. The caps are somewhat domed so I used the drum sander to make a flat spot on the "top" of the cap. I then bolt the cap to the floor and build the array upward from it.

I am using these little sinkers. They use wedges above and below. The lower wedges are pulled toward the vertical center by the threads of the fastener. The upper wedges are pushed toward the vertical center by butting against the fixture that is being fastened. When this sort of surface to surface mounting is the order of the day, these little guys work great.
    New Shop (359).jpg
    I drop a plumb bob from the upper attachment point to find my spot on the floor below.
    New Shop (360).jpg . New Shop (361).jpg
    Drill a 1/2" hole of the proper length, drop in the insert, and impact the cap in place.
    New Shop (362).jpg
    I have checked these port heights many times but they still look wrong to me.
    New Shop (363).jpg
    I guess I will check them yet again since it will be easy to adjust that prior to connecting to the overhead ducting. I'm sure they're right . . . I checked multiple times . . . I'm sure they're right . . . Grrrr.

"A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Maybe consider putting a tee for a cleanout at the very bottom of that stack. While a tee would be verboten for actual dust collection, down below at the floor and just for cleanout, it would be nice. Of course, if that stack is reasonably accessible with your machine placement, it might be a nice place for a floor sweep instead.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Update - All is well on the port heights ;-)
    New Shop (364).jpg

After percolating quite a while I decided that the pipe below the last wye could just fill with spoil as it may. The action of the dust collector should keep the level below the last wye or something else is wrong . I figured I could always remove the jointer hose at the blast gate and fish a shop vac hose down there if there was ever a reason.

As to floor sweeps, I am one of those who has tried them a couple of times with years in between. It probably has to do with one's personality or mind set. Once I have done 90% of the work anyway, I'd just as soon push the spoil into a dust pan and toss it in the trash. The fact that I only have a 35 gallon barrel may contribute to this habit as well .

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    I finished up the S-curve in the DC shed. The S-curve assembly was surprisingly stout once taped. Despite this I wanted some support in the event of an errant bump so I built a three point support.

New Shop (373).jpg

The little pieces of wood at the cyclone connection points were just temporary supports for the tubes of EMT while I was assembling. They serve no purpose now.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-11-2021 at 12:32 PM.

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    It's funny . . .
    New Shop (374).jpg
    . . . these machines don't seem nearly as big as they did in the old shop.

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    It's funny . . .
    New Shop (374).jpg
    . . . these machines don't seem nearly as big as they did in the old shop.
    There's a simple solution, Glenn.... It's called GAS. Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Bigger machines, in other words. LOL

But in all seriousness, one of the big benefits with bigger space, even with the same machines, is to be able to better differentiate space for better word flow/material handling and have dedicated areas for things like hand-tool work, assembly, finishing, storage, etc., without everything being on top of everything else.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-12-2021 at 8:18 AM.
    --

Blog Entries
    Agreed. The ability to move through the shop without having to do a carefully choreographed dance routine will be a bonus. Alas, the increased costs over the last couple years had me making tough decisions about planned machine upgrades. I opted to forgo some upgrades in exchange for HVAC, the cyclone in a shed and some others niceties. The machines I have are doing the job. The new shop was just an excuse to upgrade. My retirement, move and new shop build coinciding with price increases due to (insert your reason here) had me do some re-thinking.

I will have a vac setup like this on both sides of the shop.
    New Shop (376).jpg
    This one is primarily for machine extraction.
    New Shop (379).jpg
    The other one will serve the bench, assembly and material breakdown areas.

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Using a variety of MacGyver methods to avoid lifting anything heavy I got three whole cleats up on the wall yesterday . This is my tablesaw and router table jig wall. The jigs shown are just whatever was handy. Some of these will stay "at the ready" while others are just props to show what I am trying to do.

New Shop (383).jpg . New Shop (384).jpg

New Shop (385).jpg . New Shop (386).jpg

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    There's a simple solution, Glenn.... It's called GAS. Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Bigger machines, in other words. LOL
    Jim — I’ve tried taking some GasX for this all too common condition but it didn’t help at all!
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 09-15-2021 at 9:06 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tagging
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Jim — I’ve tried taking some GasX for this all too common condition but it didn’t help at all!
    The issue is that the "X" means it's accelerated and more higher end, too.
    --

Blog Entries
    I unloaded the plane till so it could be moved. It is depressing to see this much dust on these things. Not that they don't normally get dusty . . . it's just that this is the wrong kind of dust ;-)

These cleats will be hidden by the fixture. You can see that they have been used and re-used a few times.

Helpful tip for aligning sections of cleat when a single piece is not used.

There is cleat material running the full width of this fixture.

– Samuel Butler

It's gettin' real with the hand tools moving in!
    --

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    My wife bought me some of that, but why would I try to fix something that isn't broken?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    It's gettin' real with the hand tools moving in!

I hear ya. I've already saved several trips back and forth to the temp-shop. I made some progress on the wall to the right of the tool cabinet. I hung a lot of clamps here just to get them out of the various out buildings they have been hibernating in.

New Shop (395).jpg

The adjacent wall is planned for the longer clamps but I am percolating on an alternate idea for those . . .

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    I skipped the alternate plan. Turned out I have plenty of room.

New Shop (397).jpg

The lift helped get the DP Wall Cab on the wall.

New Shop (396).jpg

Got an assist with the DP. The balance of the parts are small and light.

New Shop (398).jpg

One more piece of the puzzle done.

New Shop (399).jpg

Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-18-2021 at 3:08 PM.

– Samuel Butler