Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drill press lock

Drill press lock

Years ago I had a craftsman drill press with a lock that you can lock the travel of the shaft..it seems like that feature you cant find anymore on drill presses..does anyone know of a drill press that does have this....preferably a bench top model

Blog Entries
    My dad had that on his benchtop. When I went out on my own and got my drill press some 40 years ago, it lacked the lock. I haven't missed it. If I really needed it, there's the threaded rod for limiting how far the quill will travel down. That's a 1/2-20 thread. If I needed to limit the upward travel, it would be easy to add a nut.

Blog Entries
    This is a feature that, when well executed, is very valuable. As you notice, too few have it. the stock one on my old Delta was pathetic so I did this.
    DP Depth Stop (6).jpg
    Just an idea in case you find a good DP but it lacks the lock.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The full size Nova Voyager has a quill lock. Not sure about the benchtop Nova Viking, but maybe.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    The full size Nova Voyager has a quill lock. Not sure about the benchtop Nova Viking, but maybe.
    It has a quill lock but, it is the spinning hub style that so few do well. A critical mistake in my book. A $1000 benchtop DP with a "Shopmaster" style quill lock. I've never had a tool go on and off my list so fast.

– Samuel Butler

Fortunately my 17" Delta has a quill lock, it's one of those things that I would hate to have to live without. That is a clever method you have there, Glen!
    Last edited by Bernie Kopfer; 03-25-2021 at 6:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    It has a quill lock but, it is the spinning hub style that so few do well. A critical mistake in my book. A $1000 benchtop DP with a "Shopmaster" style quill lock. I've never had a tool go on and off my list so fast.
    Not sure why you do not like the design. Mine works, and works well. I rotate the lever and it locks the quill in place. It is the only DP I have ever owned with a quill lock. Maybe something is out there that I am not aware of.

My 17" floor standing has and it's a very useful feature. I often use to bring the bit down and set exactly where I want it to drill then lock and then secure the piece the table.

Drill presses don't have locks? That's news to me. Mine has one to limit downward travel. How on earth can you drill down precisely without one?

Mine also has a lock that makes the quill stay down (stationary) anywhere I want it, so I can line up the bit precisely with its target location before I make the bore.

I must have missed the point of this thread.

Look at Glenn's picture ... there is a slot in the quill ... there is a screw that that goes into that slot to keep the quill from rotating. I bought a longer screw ... filed a nose on it ... and tighten-it whenever I need to lock the quill down. Invaluable feature for me whenever doing any set-up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward;[URL="tel:3110358"
    3110358[/URL]]Not sure why you do not like the design. Mine works, and works well. I rotate the lever and it locks the quill in place. It is the only DP I have ever owned with a quill lock. Maybe something is out there that I am not aware of.
    That would be the “few do well“ part of my response. On my current and past DP’s the rotating hub has been stiff and awkward or loose and sloppy. Combined with the fact that it is on the same side as the quill handles I find it difficult to operate quickly or accurately. Could be a personal problem.

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    A quill lock is one of the most used features on my Craftsman DP.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NOW you tell me...

The drill lock is pretty simple to use ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    The drill lock is pretty simple to use ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Such a nice DP. I wish they would've carried that format to the benchtop version. I'd have one right now if they did. I did a field test a couple at different locations . . . fail. Nice DP but, too much money for one that has a poor version of one of my DP peeves .

Viking Lock.jpg

They also failed to carry over some other features from the Voyager that cause me to hang on to my money. Maybe I'll just have to go for the Voyager
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-26-2021 at 11:16 AM.

– Samuel Butler

The Pm has 2 stops 1 for up and 1 for down. If you use both it will keep it locked