Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Essential fixit skills for a teenager leaving the nest?

A lot of the "essential" plumbing/electrical skills mentioned here won't matter until he's in his own place: I'm pretty sure the powers-that-be will take issue with him doing such repairs in his dorm room or common areas.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    Basic troubleshooting for wireless network connectivity. This includes understanding ip adresses, dhcp, etc.

My mother's list for each of her boys, At age 15, was to plan, cook and serve a weeks' meals and clean up the kitchen after ward., to do our own laundry, iron a shirt, to sew on a button, Dad already made sure we knew how to change a tire, jump start a car, hammer a nail. etc. I like to cook. I cook most of the meals here. Once, my wife wanted home made chicken noodle soup, but we had no noodles. No problem, I made the noodles from scratch from memory of watching my grandmother and mother do it. You can make a lot from next to nothing if you learn how to cook.
    Last edited by Perry Hilbert Jr; 03-25-2021 at 3:32 PM.

My Dad never taught me how to do anything. He just told me to go do whatever it was.

Blog Entries
    Maybe you should think his ability to take phone advice and instruction from you. You never know what is going to come up and you are certain to get a call about fixing something that you can do. The question is whether you can talk him through it. Being a youngster, he can watch a YouTube video but may have additional questions.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Shankar View Post
    I am loving this thread. I think the points about pitching this as a "girls will be impressed when..." are brilliant.
    I've always said, "Handsome fades but handy is forever."

How to assemble Ikea cabinets
    Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    How to assemble Ikea cabinets
    After several hilariously unsuccessful attempts to teach people this skill, I have concluded that if you don't have the IKEA gene, no amount of training will make up for it.

And unfortunately, it's probably the most important freshman dorm skill mentioned here so far.
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 03-25-2021 at 5:48 PM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Teach him to decide on a profession that makes him enough money so he can hire people to do what all of us have advised you to teach him.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    Teach him to decide on a profession that makes him enough money so he can hire people to do what all of us have advised you to teach him.
    That's fine to a point but things too often don't have problems at 8:30 a.m. on a Tuesday morning, they have problems at 8 p.m. on a major holiday. Finding someone on short notice on holidays and weekends can be ..... difficult. Knowing how to keep things working for a day or two doesn't hurt. But more on topic someone living in a dorm isn't going to need plumbing and electrical skills short term. Being automotive and computer/networking savvy may pay off.

Blog Entries
    Checking and changing oil in his car. My granddaughter called saying her two year old car was running very poorly and she was stuck by the side of the road on a Sunday. She did say that the change oil light was on. I told her how to check the oil. There was none on the dipstick, the car had gone into limp-home mode. She had the car for 8000 miles and never changed the oil. Limped into a gas station, added two quarts of oil and it ran fine. Monday she had the oil changed.
    NOW you tell me...

Bet it was the “Check Oil” light . . . Just sayin’ . . .

It's an either or thing. Either you get a great education and make lots of money to pay "the guy" to take care of stuff or you learn how to fix stuff. The simple fact is even if you don't know how to repair a furnace you still want to be able to understand what the guy is telling you. Otherwise how will you know if you are being taken advantage of? Skills should include basic car and home maintenance of course as well as any hobbies that they are interested in.

========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    The simple fact is even if you don't know how to repair a furnace you still want to be able to understand what the guy is telling you.
    Most people do not know that a furnace operates at the same intensity no matter where one sets the thermostat. It will not heat the room any faster if it is set to 90º.

As far as plumbing goes a person should at least know how to turn the water off if need be.

There are a lot of common sense things people should know. Today's problem seems to be that common sense is rather rare.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)