Thread: Finishes for over copper inlays

Finishes for over copper inlays

I have been playing with a couple copper inlays on a couple different projects but, I found out (the hard way) that if you use anything ike abrasive paste and even wax directly to the copper. you get black residue on the surface of your project. Any sugestions for a nice satin or gloss finish over copper? Maybe polyurethene? Would rather have that nice waxed wood sheen, but?
    Thanks
    Denny

Always try to be the best but, never think you are the best.

You could try a couple of coats of 1 pound cut shellac to seal things before using wax, or even use shellac as your finish

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Nugent View Post
    You could try a couple of coats of 1 pound cut shellac to seal things before using wax, or even use shellac as your finish

Thank you Russell. I will give shelac a try.
    Denny

Always try to be the best but, never think you are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Nebgen View Post
    I have been playing with a couple copper inlays on a couple different projects but, I found out (the hard way) that if you use anything ike abrasive paste and even wax directly to the copper. you get black residue on the surface of your project. Any sugestions for a nice satin or gloss finish over copper? Maybe polyurethene? Would rather have that nice waxed wood sheen, but?
    Thanks
    Polish steel, copper, brass, and other metals with abrasive and you will get black residue from the metal particles. I haven't used shellac but lacquer has worked for me.