Thread: Sawstop on ICS base and a ramp

Sawstop on ICS base and a ramp

We're about to have work done on our basement which will allow me to build out my workshop in its final location. Until now I've been working (roubo workbench and contractor table saw) in the garage parking space. The opening between the garage and my workspace is plenty wide to move the saw, but is ~1' higher. I thought my new saw was going to arrive significantly after the workshop was done and thus I'd just put it together in there, but I just found out the saw will arrive at a month before the earliest possible date the workshop will be ready (and realistically it may be a few months after that). Given that I need table saw access prior to that, my plan has been to go ahead and put the saw together in the current temporary workspace.

My question is: when it's finally time to move the saw to the workshop, is it going to be better to deconstruct it, move it and put it back together or can it realistically be moved up a ramp? I have access to manual winches and hauling systems - I'm not worried about the safety of winching it up a custom built ramp in to the workshop, but I am worried about whether it's possible for the saw. Maybe take off the wing and move the main saw and reattach the wing after? This move only has to happen once and I'm confident I can move the weight safely.

This is a 3HP ICS with 36" fence and ICS base.

All thoughts appreciated!

The other option is just lifting it up with a bunch of burly guys. The bike gang that lives across the street (I kid you not) would surely help.

I’m not sure if this helps you but I had my ICS delivered already assembled. It was a demo model, 3 hp, 52” on the mobile base. The shop wheeled it up their trailer’s ramp, drove to my place and rolled it down the ramp into my garage. Quick and easy. So yup, you can wheel them up a ramp. I wouldn’t want it to be steep though as the base might bottom out. Plus it’s heavy! Good luck!

Perfect, David! I should be able to build a low angle ramp and just move it up when ready. Was the extension table even mounted when you had it delivered?

One thought on your ramp, quite often the hardest piece is going over the peak, at the top of the ramp, where the ramp meets the upper floor/surface.

Sometimes when loading motorcycles up a ramp, where that peak would cause the belly of the motorcycle to scrape, as we got the motorcycle to just before that scrape point, while one person was holding the motorcycle upright, one or two of us would lift the back end of the ramp, wheel barrow style, to bring the ramp horizontal to the upper surface, then the bike was wheeled on as if coming from a flat surface.

If you built a simple ramp, you could probably winch the saw up, close to the top and have enough leverage to raise the lower end and wheel the saw on to the upper level, just need a couple of buddies.

Hi Aaron,
    Mine was fully assembled. I don’t think that they even took the fence off but it wasn’t going very far and everything was fine.
    Great saw btw. Enjoy!
    David