Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pneumatic Hose Reels?

Pneumatic Hose Reels?

I'm installing compressed air piping in my shop and thought of using hose reels overhead instead of wall mounting. Seems like having them overhead in various central locations would be more convenient. One would be over top of my work bench, which is in the center of a U-shaped work bench top area. The other would be centrally located between my Bridgeport mill, metal lathe and surface grinder. A few others might be installed near my table saw, wood lathe, etc. Anyone else find overhead hose reels more convenient than wall mounted stations? Any recommendations for a good 25' hose reel would be appreciated.

If you want industrial grade USA made reel either coxreels or reelcraft are both very good, but not though. I think a coxreel 3/8x25 reel is a P-LP-325.

I installed three overhead reels for air in my 1800 sq ft shop. They were great. Wish I had installed several more. Also installed 4 electric power reels, [110].
    In my new, but significantly smaller shop, I have 2 overhead electrical, one air.

Steve, I’m sure the reels work. But I’ve used some that were so efficient that they wanted to keep the hose rolled up all the time ! The air
    will go thru just fine without tension on the hose....and I won’t tolerate “tug of war” when I’m working.
    I prefer a large hook 6 or 7 feet up for neat and quick “loop-ups”.

I haven't worked with drop lines in a while, but it was super convenient and added a little safety (I'm clumsy). Dealing with the ratcheting mechs will become automatic in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I haven't worked with drop lines in a while, but it was super convenient and added a little safety (I'm clumsy). Dealing with the ratcheting mechs will become automatic in no time.

From overhead, I prefer drops using Coil Hose Pneumatic coiled hoses. Sure they cost more than the cheap yellow ones, but this is what industry uses everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    From overhead, I prefer drops using Coil Hose Pneumatic coiled hoses. Sure they cost more than the cheap yellow ones, but this is what industry uses everyday.
    o th

I don't understand, do you mean a coiled hose mounted overhead? Won't it droop, especially with a heavy nozzle attached to the end?

The coiled overhead hoses I’ve seen were in old “INDUSTRY ON PARADE” films shown by substitute teachers in grade school. Used for .things
    like stapling a cloth toy bag onto a plastic Santa Claus . An overhead hook conveniently held the modern NEW- MATICK gun while the highly trained worker held the
    toy bag in juuust the right place before pulling the trigger.

A real coilhose like the ones from coilhose pneumatics made of polyurethane will droop some when held vertically but not a insane amount. It's really going to depend on what your hanging off the end of of it. A big nail gun? Yes for sure it'll stretch some. A small blowgun? Not much a little.
    The droop can be taken into account slightly by using a shorter length then normal. That way when it's "stretched" it's at the correct elevation.

Also a real coilhose made of polyurethane not the little crappy nylon ones, will not stay permanently stretched if you really extend it too far like on the nylon ones. They will snap back.

We used to actually MFG these types of hoses and were direct competitors to coilhose. I have some in stock still, if you let me know your drop lengths and if I get some free time, I can mock one up with a tool to test it out for you.

Mel is also right that for heavy staplers and such on a assembly line they have a spring loaded reel, loaded with cable and a hook (balancer I believe they're called) that attaches to your tool and keeps it suspended.

One place I worked was pretty crowded and it had coiled hoses. Looked like a big spider web in there. That’s when I bought my own
    non coiled hose....with super deluxe brass fittings ! Heavy and floor hugging . Not leg endangering and hard to see.

I've had a Harbor Freight, 25' air hose reel, that is about 20+ years old. It's been mounted to the garage ceiling in about 5 different garages.

The ratcheting mechanism still works well and it doesn't bleed air.

Now I mainly use it for my nail and blow gun, but when changing motorcycle tires, I would use it when beading and inflating tires and also for my motorcycle table.

I have a piece of 2x6 that is predrilled with four lag mounting bolts for the hose reel. The hose reel has two slotted mounts and two holes. For the slotted mounts, I screw the lag bolts about 80% in and then mount the 2x6 on the ceiling joists. I then lift the hose reel and engage the mounting plate end, with the slots, with the two previously installed lag bolts. This supports the weight as I install the other two lag bolts in the mounting holes. These hole reels can be heavy when you are trying to install on a high ceiling.

I just installed the Harbor Freight 25' in my shop this weekend. Seems pretty solid and the ratchet mechanism seems to work pretty good.

Reelcraft is a good option. We have ~20 of them installed in the auto repair shop where I work, mostly air hose reels, and a few water hose reels. Some of them are 25 years old. They get used a lot, and if they do eventually wear out (anything does with enough use) you can buy replacement parts.

Tim

Blog Entries
    I have a Flexzilla hose & reel hung from the ceiling. Not expensive & it works great. About the only complaint I have is that the put about 5 or 10' of too much hose in it so I have to pay attention when the last few feet go in so it doesn't bind. One day I'll shorten the hose a bit to eliminate that, but it really hasn't been a big issue.

Worked in a CNC machining department for several years. We got tired of fighting, tripping over the hoses mounted to walls and sides of the machines. Installed over head reels and they really cleaned things up. We didn't go fancy, so no specific brand advice. The crew didn't really care for the coiled hoses, even when hung overhead. They did like them in the assembly department, so it's probably a task specific/personal decision kind of thing. Overhead does clean the shop up, though.