Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hauling My Planer

It has been a long time since I took my Grizzly 15" planer down the basement stairs. I remember fastening skids to the stairs to make a ramp. Then using a rope tied to a small tractor lowering it down onto a mobile base. The last time I used a hand truck I almost killed my wife (again) bringing a refrigerator down those stairs. The fridge was too tall to hold onto the handles. Fortunately I tied a rope and let it down while screaming for my wife at the bottom to stand clear. We are in our 70's. Good times!!
    Ask a woodworker to "make your bed" and he/she makes a bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    another method I have heard of is to run a 4x4 through on either side of the table. Leave a foot or more sticking out on the infeed and outfeed side. Strap and lift from those 4x4's and it will not flip over. If lifted by those lifting rods the COG is above the lifting point and it need to be tied so it will not flip.
    If I did the beam lift method I would raise the cutter head and place the beams where desired then lower the cutter head, turned so no blade is touching wood just bear down with the cylinder radius.
    Bill D
    An old guy I worked with said "Never lift a planer by its lady parts."

The feed rollers are spring loaded. Hoisting here would be by the cutter head, and the head assembly.

The machine designers hoped to avoid this by installing pick points for straps or forks in the base.