Thread: Advice for ease of working in a small shop in regards to a table top jointer.

Advice for ease of working in a small shop in regards to a table top jointer.

Hi, so I recently moved and actually have storage and a 1 car garage to set up a shop. The problem is a car will be parked in the garage when I am not using it. With this in mind I have been setting up the shop to streamline and make everything as easy as possible for set up/breakdown and also while working. Currently have outfeed for table saw, router station and miter saw station in the garage. I'm at the point where I am wondering if I should buy a bench top jointer to ease in getting wood prepped for use. Currently I have just been using a table saw jig/router table for edge jointing and I just got a Dewalt planer so face jointing is an option with a sled. Hand planes are also an option but honestly, i'd rather spend my time assembling rather than planing. I have been specifically looking at a grizzly g0893 6" bench top jointer as it seems to be slightly more powerful and with a truer to design helical style head than most of the other options. I have also considered a rikon/wahuda 8", they all come in at around $500. Would a bench top jointer actually expedite the woodworking procedure or would I just run into a different set of limitations/frustrations? A floor model wont work for me between the space constraints and the cost. Most of my projects would be on the smaller side, picture frames are my main thing but I do have some table tops (hard wood) and book cases (plywood) coming up for myself to expand and learn. Lengths of picture frame pieces range from 12" to 60" usually, I have not done anything wider than 3-4". I use a decent amount of reclaimed wood from house renovations, plenty of old pine just gets tossed in the dumpster. I also have a decent wood yard in the area for when I want specialty species. Attached are some pictures to give you an idea what I am working with, still a WIP but looking 100x better than a month ago. Im summary, I am willing to pay for a decent bench top jointer, but will it actually streamline things for me? I have never used a jointer so I'm flying pretty blind here.
    IMG_0115.jpgIMG_0114.jpgIMG_0116.jpgIMG_0117.jpg

Thank you,

Cassius.

Hi Cassius,
    I have a single car garage workshop but have never had a car in it. You are obviously more organized than me.
    I used a 6” Craftsman bench top jointer for about 10 years and was able to do many projects with it. Sure, it had its limitations but it got the job done. I had mine on a mobile base because it was a bear to lift even though I was in much better shape than now. I bought mine used for a fraction of your budget which helped.
    I felt the benchtop jointer had more compromises in practice than my benchtop planer. Why not try using a sled on your planer for awhile and see how that works? You can hang the sled on the wall when not in use.
    Best regards,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Cassius Nielsen View Post
    Hi, so I recently moved and actually have storage and a 1 car garage to set up a shop. The problem is a car will be parked in the garage when I am not using it. With this in mind I have been setting up the shop to streamline and make everything as easy as possible for set up/breakdown and also while working. Currently have outfeed for table saw, router station and miter saw station in the garage. I'm at the point where I am wondering if I should buy a bench top jointer to ease in getting wood prepped for use. Currently I have just been using a table saw jig/router table for edge jointing and I just got a Dewalt planer so face jointing is an option with a sled. Hand planes are also an option but honestly, i'd rather spend my time assembling rather than planing. I have been specifically looking at a grizzly g0893 6" bench top jointer as it seems to be slightly more powerful and with a truer to design helical style head than most of the other options. I have also considered a rikon/wahuda 8", they all come in at around $500. Would a bench top jointer actually expedite the woodworking procedure or would I just run into a different set of limitations/frustrations? A floor model wont work for me between the space constraints and the cost. Most of my projects would be on the smaller side, picture frames are my main thing but I do have some table tops (hard wood) and book cases (plywood) coming up for myself to expand and learn. Lengths of picture frame pieces range from 12" to 60" usually, I have not done anything wider than 3-4". I use a decent amount of reclaimed wood from house renovations, plenty of old pine just gets tossed in the dumpster. I also have a decent wood yard in the area for when I want specialty species. Attached are some pictures to give you an idea what I am working with, still a WIP but looking 100x better than a month ago. Im summary, I am willing to pay for a decent bench top jointer, but will it actually streamline things for me? I have never used a jointer so I'm flying pretty blind here.
    IMG_0115.jpgIMG_0114.jpgIMG_0116.jpgIMG_0117.jpg

Thank you,

Cassius.
    I used a Dewalt 735 planer with a sled to flatten boards for a while before I got my jointer. I had a 6" jointer but I sold it after I used it once. May have just been my particular jointer (6" porter cable benchtop), my technique, or the fact that I had higher expectations than its capabilities. It was not worth the time and effort to me to try and make it work.

I can tell you that with a planer sled, a hot glue gun, some shims, and rollers on the outfeed side, I face jointed 7' boards on the dewalt to dead flat. It took a little longer but it was super effective. I used that same sled to edge joint the boards on my table saw. The only reason I got a stand alone jointer was that I found a craigslist deal I couldn't pass up. If I had a small shop and space was a premium I would not own a jointer. PM me if you want specifics on the sled. It is a very simple design you can start with and then decide if you want to get the jointer.

Thank you guys for the input. I am going to start with the Dewalt planer for now with a sled for now.