Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your own email server, anyone have one?

Your own email server, anyone have one?

I've had an ongoing problem for over a year now with my outgoing email getting bounced as spam. My domain server has me on a shared IP account, and a bad apple has caused my ("our") IP address to be listed on Spamcop and every other spam police setup. My server company's 1 of 2 remedies is for me to forward bounce notices to them and they will contact my mail recipient(s) and ask them to un-blacklist my email address. Whoopee, I can, and do, do that myself. Problem is, I only get about 1 bounce notice for every 20 bounces, and un-blacklisting doesn't seem to work anyway. Their 2nd remedy is for me to pay for a separate gmail account; they're in cahoots with Google because of this problem. I have enough Google intrusion in my life and refuse to pay for more.

I could change hosts, but the thought of moving my domain to another host makes me cringe...

I've done a little research on just setting up my own email server. Found a few of how-to web pages & programs, but it's a bit confusing, lots of software and other options...

Just wondering if anyone has done this? My needs are simple, I have no employees, I've used an email program for years I really like called OEClassic, which nicely emulates OE on newer computers. I've never done IMAP and don't want or need to...

TIA for any suggestions!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Is this a name-brand provider? They should move you to another address space without issue. If it is a reseller or a localized provider things get prickly. They only have so much space and if small enough this space collapses into a single appearance at the parent. This means that even if they give you a dedicated address it may come from a block of space that is subject to compromise. Your provider is ultimately responsible for providing you service no matter how basic the agreement. If they stink, change.

It incenses me when I see people being held hostage by their provider. We put a lot of work in early on to make sure things were portable and unrestricted. Obviously the past couple decades of mad commercial use have strained that model. Big bucks spent lobbying have broken the FCC which leads to even greater abuse. As with insurance policies, your best bet is to never buy anything that isn't open ended and change anytime the provider does not meet your expectations; speak with your wallet. . . . . Ooops, I forgot to raise the "rant on" flag. I just lost control of myself .
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-23-2021 at 2:07 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Since when do you have to pay for a Gmail account? I thought they were free.

You need a provider who does a better job of managing their email systems. For example, the provider I'm on only allows you to send email to 100 different email addresses per hour. Keeps spammers out.

Even if you send email to a group of people, you can send 100 per hour.

And changing your provider should not be a problem. Most providers will bend over backwards to move you since they will be getting your business.

Mike

[Just FYI, I use Dreamhost (www.dreamhost.com)]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 03-23-2021 at 10:17 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

@gmail.com accounts are free, @your-domain.com accounts via G-Suite, aren't

Excerpt from an email from my 'reputable' host back in early October:
    ...Sometimes, on Shared hosting where many customers use the same email servers, they get detected as contributing to spam and unnecessarily get blacklisted by a few recipient email servers and RBLs. We do have a system in place that monitors our mailout server IPs for its reputation at RBLs that sends out reports periodically. Our Network Operations team rotates the blocked IPs automatically and that should resolve any blocks our servers may have.
    The 'our team rotates blocked IP's automatically' sounded promising, but my IP address hasn't changed yet, and is the same as 2 years ago...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

6. Setting up your own on a VPS or server as a mail server is possible, but you still have the issue of blacklists and petitioning them to delist you. And it's a pretty technical configuration to set up and some ongoing maintenance. And MicroSoft email services (outlook, hotmail, etc.), Yahoo and AOL email services use their own filtering that will discard your email before it gets to the recipient without even telling you.

A better solution might be a commercial email host like Rackspace, Intermedia, etc. They handle all the server set up and protecting the IP address from the blacklists. If you do high volume, then SendGrid might be appropriate.

I have my own email domain through Google Apps/Gsuite/Google Workspace. It is a free 10 user account that is grandfathered in. No issues with email being blocked with Google.

I've been using GSuite to host my domain email and it has not run into any issues so far. At my last company we used Rackspace and the service and support was phenomenal. We had a dedicated server there. It didn't really occur to me to see whether they offer a service suitable for individuals, having a dedicated server was fairly expensive.

The problem with having your own email service if you are on residential Internet service is that it may not be permitted per their TOS and some ports may not be available for normal function. That track was taken a few years ago to help reduce spam and bots because it was unfortunately common for "personal services" to be compromised. If you're not server savvy, stuff happens and even really good administrators sometimes still suffer through their systems getting cracked/infected.

Have you tried to get your current provider to assign you to a different IP address in their shared infrastructure?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If your host is GoDaddy, I can say I fought that problem for a couple years and finally decided to switch hosting services because of it. They host a ton of things, and apparently some of them tend to generate spam and take down the rest of the good guys.

I agree with the responses above. Switch host providers. Don't go with the cheap host providers that are heavily advertised and conveniently show up in the "best of" lists. A good majority of those hosts over-sell their server space and have regular problems with spam and server uptime. Hosting your own email server will require more maintenance then you want to do. A good host provider will make it easy for you to move your files to their server and you change your DNS settings in your Domain Registry and you are good to go and you will be back to having reliable email and web site.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Not sure if this is the same thing... I have used a host: HOVER.COM (started as twocows) for about 25 plus years. It's a mail forwarder service, but I believe you can host through them as well (I really don't understand how it all work apparently) but their spam control is really good, at least it seems to be. One of the things I have really liked about them over the years, is when ever I change providers, I keep my same email - had the same one for the whole time I have been with them. Lots of options to chose your email name. They have a webmail as well if you want to do it all there.

Think I have most of that right, just a happy camper since I signed up with them...
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I've had an ongoing problem for over a year now with my outgoing email getting bounced as spam. My domain server has me on a shared IP account, and a bad apple has caused my ("our") IP address to be listed on Spamcop and every other spam police setup. My server company's 1 of 2 remedies is for me to forward bounce notices to them and they will contact my mail recipient(s) and ask them to un-blacklist my email address. Whoopee, I can, and do, do that myself. Problem is, I only get about 1 bounce notice for every 20 bounces, and un-blacklisting doesn't seem to work anyway. Their 2nd remedy is for me to pay for a separate gmail account; they're in cahoots with Google because of this problem. I have enough Google intrusion in my life and refuse to pay for more.

I could change hosts, but the thought of moving my domain to another host makes me cringe...

I've done a little research on just setting up my own email server. Found a few of how-to web pages & programs, but it's a bit confusing, lots of software and other options...

Just wondering if anyone has done this? My needs are simple, I have no employees, I've used an email program for years I really like called OEClassic, which nicely emulates OE on newer computers. I've never done IMAP and don't want or need to...

TIA for any suggestions!
    Kev I have run my own server for two decades+. I went the easy path last time I upgraded my server and installed ISPconfig 3 which is an open source cPanel type server management. It has a nice web interface to manage websites, email, databases, etc and saves me a bunch of time on the CLI. If you don’t have a moderate Linux back group though managing your own server can be a bear. PM me if you want to catch up offline and I can go into further detail.

I managed the web site for a small non-profit for several years with GoDaddy as ISP. I can't remember GoDaddy's names for the type of system they had but initially they paid a little more and had, in effect, their own private server for web site and email. No problems. Then they saved a few bucks by switching to a shared system, also with GoDaddy. If anybody sharing that system got blacklisted, so did everybody else. Fortunately we were parting ways and I never had to deal with it.

I have a site and email hosted by Earthlink and have no problems although both have been under-utilized since I retired several years ago.

From what I'm reading (and thanks!), sounds like I may take the easy G-Suite route. My ISP is Comcast/Infinity and my current domain host is iPage. I understand all their email, ftp and hosting interfaces so I'd rather not do a total change and have to learn another host's protocols... as I said above, iPage is in cahoots with Google, so moving my email to G-Suite is supposedly just a matter of answering a few questions and coughing up $72 a year. I have enough trouble keeping the 9 computers in this place running smoothly, so I'm looking for 'easy', and it sounds like babysitting a server, isn't.

thanks again all
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter