Thread: Planer problem

Planer problem

My Dewalt 733 planer came back from a nearly year long loan to my son, and is now leaving the surface of everything I run through it looking like a washboard, the ridges run across the board and run the length of the piece. He put new blades in it and set the blades with the provided guides. Where should I start to try to get it back in shape it also is making a lot more noise then I remember it making.

I would remove the blades, check them for straightness and then reinstall them using the guides after checking the guides for accuracy.

The blades and alignment would be the first things I would eliminate as the cause.

I would also make sure the head of the planer isn't moving while planing.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

After doing what Ken suggests and if the problem persists, I would check the cutterhead bearings. Slop in worn bearings could cause the effect you describe and louder noise level as well.

Wash boarding is a result of one knife being higher than the others. Reset the knives

I have that planer. The knife setting gauges (on mine anyway), are woefully inaccurate. I use the gauge to set them, only tightening one bolt on each end. then place a 3/4" thick or so piece of wood on each end of the planer bed. Block has too be short enough to fit between the rollers. Move the cutterhead down till the knives start to graze the blocks of wood. You will be able to access the knife holding bolts with a wrench from above, although this is not the regular procedure. You can then loosen the knife with a wrench from above.The spring and gravity will push the knive down on the blocks of wood on both ends, perfectly positioning it relative to the table, and you tighten a bolt on both sides. Repeat with the other knife. The remaining bolts are easier to tighten when you move the knife to the regular changing position.

Got it fixed over the weekend one of the blades had a bunch of gunk caked downing the bottom of the slot which was holding the blade up slightly. Thanks

George
    I get great results using the guides provided. Careful use is required. And when tightening, first snug down lightly then go back over a little tighter before final tightening.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    George
    I get great results using the guides provided. Careful use is required. And when tightening, first snug down lightly then go back over a little tighter before final tightening.
    ^^^ second this. Never had a problem switching out blades. I snug up the blade closest to the guides first, then alternate my way down tine.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.