Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Quality Chucks/Jaws

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    I did not see anyone suggesting getting a spindle adapter to be able to use your existing 1" thread chucks on the 1-1/4" thread of the 2020. ...
    Thomas -- I'm glad you've had good success using spindle adapters. Like you, I have some to go from 1" to 1-1/4" and vice versa. In a pinch, they can be just the ticket.

However, they are seldom ideal. The spindle adapter introduces another source of runout error. With quality spindle adapters, that's not too big a deal. We're talking woodturning, not a machine shop.

A bigger deal is the fact spindle adapters move the chuck and blank further away from the headstock spindle bearings. With light blanks, that's not much of an issue. However, with heavy, out of balance blanks, the extra leverage of being farther out from the headstock can materially increase vibration. I'm NOT saying it will harm the lathe. I'm saying the vibration can make it more difficult to do quality work.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

After much research and seeing one a club member had I went with the VM120, which arrives tomorrow. I went with the non-insert version since I don't plan to also run it on my smaller Midi lathe. I don't care for the T-bar style of the Nova G3 I have. This was a buy once cry once decision for me. A lot of coin for one chuck, but by all accounts a good foundational type of purchase that should last many years.

That said, I am looking at spindle adapters for mounting a 1" chuck on a 1-1/4 spindle, if anyone has a recommendation. The Nova is $44 but can be locked down for reverse sanding, most of the others are in the $20 range.

I had one, and didn't like it. Main reason is that it increased what minimal run out there already was on the chuck set up. It also puts you out farther off of the headstock spindle, and that adds to vibration issues. If you can afford it, get another chuck. It is not worth the time to switch the inserts.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by David Walser View Post
    Thomas -- I'm glad you've had good success using spindle adapters. Like you, I have some to go from 1" to 1-1/4" and vice versa. In a pinch, they can be just the ticket.

However, they are seldom ideal. The spindle adapter introduces another source of runout error. With quality spindle adapters, that's not too big a deal. We're talking woodturning, not a machine shop.

A bigger deal is the fact spindle adapters move the chuck and blank further away from the headstock spindle bearings. With light blanks, that's not much of an issue. However, with heavy, out of balance blanks, the extra leverage of being farther out from the headstock can materially increase vibration. I'm NOT saying it will harm the lathe. I'm saying the vibration can make it more difficult to do quality work.
    I almost always will be using a live center for rear support if the piece is out of balance, even to start removing the inside leaving a cone in center to remove later. I am usually using the spindle adapters for smaller pieces if going from 1-1/4 down to 1" to use a smaller chuck. Can't see that much extra load on the headstock spindle bearings being an issue compared to larger pieces hanging out there with large chucks and faceplates.

As someone has already said, buy once cry once. All the chucks mentioned are quality chucks. Buy one brand and stick with it. I went with the Oneway brand and have not been disappointed with them. I like to have 4 chucks for each lathe. Two with #2 jaws, One with pen jaws and one with #3 jaws. Of course, if you have more than one lathe, this gets expensive. I have had my oldest Talon for 18 years and it works as well as it ever did. I do take my chucks apart if they get sticky. I think that I have 14 Oneway(4 lathes).
    Joe