Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help remove the smell of cigarettes from the walls

Help remove the smell of cigarettes from the walls

Hello everyone! I know that the forum is related to woodworking, this is my hobby! But my question is not related to this topic, I rented a room at a very attractive price, but it is in a terrible state, it feels like 100 packs of cigarettes were smoked here a day, I have already removed all the wallpaper but the smell does not go away https://backyardconstants.com/ they wrote that it was possible to treat the walls with some kind of solution, but they did not indicate which one, I tried the primer but the smell remained !!!! SOS !!!!

Paint it and replace carpets

Kilz primer (the shellac-based one) on the walls (and ceiling) prior to painting. Discard anything fabric (eg rugs, drapes, anything upholstered)

Blog Entries
    You need at least a couple of coats of paint, but not just any paint. It needs to be smoke seal, or a paint specifically made to seal odors & stains. Smoke smell will go right through regular latex house paint.

Roger is correct. Kilz, alternatively Bullseye 1-2-3, Fresh Start (Benny Moore) or the sealant of Sherwin Williams (can't remember it's name)
    Dump all soft surfaces, get everything scrubbed down with a vinegar based cleaner.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Wash the walls and ceiling down with vinegar. Leave plates of vinegar out in all rooms to vaporize.
    I used a tank sprayer and a gallon of vinegar on a shag rug where the previous renter had dogs.
    Bill D

Get rid of anything fabric if you can. Baking soda is the traditional DIY deoderizer. I would rinse any surfaces you can with a strong solution of it. Leaving some behind in absorbent materials like rugs and curtains probably won't hurt but if you can't rinse it out or wipe it off, don't go wild with it. Can't hurt to do the wails before you paint them as long as they dry completely and aren't damaged by the water. They say you can leave dishes of it out to clear the air. That seems like wishful thinking but easy to try. You can soak sheets or towels in the baking soda solution and hang them like curtains if you're really desperate.

Then paint as already described.

You didn't mention about getting permission to do it, so, just in case.........

Step one is to get written permission of landlord to do the work. Any changes are usually prohibited in the lease. Removing wallpaper is a big deal. Finding out that wallpaper was his grandmothers heirloom hand crafted wallpaper could get you on 'Judge Judy'.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

https://www.honeywellstore.com/store...-hfd230bv1.htm

we had a smoke incident, and a couple of these took care of it quickly. get the charcoal pre filters. we now run them all the time and both breath better, sleep better and take less allergy meds.

10. Ozone generators are used in smoke damaged buildings and also in vehicles to get the smoke smell out. It's a lung irritant so you can't use them with people in the room. Check with a disaster recovery company like ServPro to see if you can rent one from them. Or you can buy a small unit from Cabela's for about $100.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Hagan View Post
    Ozone generators are used in smoke damaged buildings and also in vehicles to get the smoke smell out. It's a lung irritant so you can't use them with people in the room. Check with a disaster recovery company like ServPro to see if you can rent one from them. Or you can buy a small unit from Cabela's for about $100.
    For getting rid of odors, ozone is very hit & miss, usually miss. That's what the fire & flood restoration guys told me. And if there's enough ozone to break down the smelly compounds, there can be degradation in other surfaces in the home. It's actually pretty nasty stuff.

Ozone is used routinely in the hotel / motel industry and the used car industry. Yes, there is a human safety issue so read before using.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    For getting rid of odors, ozone is very hit & miss, usually miss. That's what the fire & flood restoration guys told me. And if there's enough ozone to break down the smelly compounds, there can be degradation in other surfaces in the home. It's actually pretty nasty stuff.
    They do use it in cars, running the machine a few hours with the air circulating. Some restoration companies have a room they will put furniture and other large items in and use ozone to remove smell. It's pretty effective for the cases I've seen. I had a client that was a restoration company and I saw some pretty amazing results.

Thank you so much! We will now order soil

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Hagan View Post
    They do use it in cars, running the machine a few hours with the air circulating. Some restoration companies have a room they will put furniture and other large items in and use ozone to remove smell. It's pretty effective for the cases I've seen. I had a client that was a restoration company and I saw some pretty amazing results.
    That's basically what a couple of restoration guys told me, but they said for some reason it just doesn't work in many cases. Probably has to do with the amount of stinky stuff that has built up on and in surfaces.

We went through this whole exercise when my FIL, who was a very heavy smoker, died & we had to sell his house. The ozone didn't help at all and that was with many days of running the generator.
    Last edited by Frank Pratt; 03-24-2021 at 9:43 AM.