Thread: Copper$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Copper$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Man the price of copper is going up faster than the price of gasoline. Went to supply house and wanted a few projects done and need 12/2 Romex. Turned around and went to Home Depot and from last week it went from $72 a 250' coil to $99
    John T.

Read an article today how eliminating the penny would tip the commodity markets upside down because of the price of copper right now.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    Read an article today how eliminating the penny would tip the commodity markets upside down because of the price of copper right now.
    Pennies are mostly zinc. They have a very thin copper coating. They were changed over during 1982.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I built a house with a copper roof, in 1991. I wanted to put a standing seam roof on one, because I'd never done it. Copper was only slightly higher than Terne coated stainless. I bought 7, 1000 pound rolls for 90 cents a pound, so the total cost of materials was $6,300. It added a Lot to the value of the house then, for what I got for it, but the people that bought it still thank me for it, every time they see me.

The penny is 99.2% zinc now though.

I know when copper peaked (scrap wise) to $4-5 a pound people figured out all pennies before 77 were mostly copper and 80 or so of them equaled a pound so they were scrapping them.

As far as the romex goes i was always amazed at how they price it at HD. with every step up in length you get 150% more for 50% more money

I am just starting to use a 250' roll of 10-3 romex I bought years ago at Lowes. I needed like 10 feet. It was cheaper to buy the 250' roll then the 25' roll. The 250' roll was a brand they were closing out. I fully expected the cashier to tell me the shelf tag was wrong.
    I still see massive holes in the inventory for blue electrical boxes.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-23-2021 at 11:25 AM.

Here's a link to the article I referenced earlier.
    https://www.barrons.com/articles/wha...es-51616383919
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Many of copper pennies met their fate under the wheels of a train when I was a kid. Has the price of salvage copper gone up too or just things like wire?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    Has the price of salvage copper gone up too or just things like wire?
    I'm hoping so, as I have about 300# I'm sitting on, just waiting for the right price.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    I'm hoping so, as I have about 300# I'm sitting on, just waiting for the right price.
    I am sure there are regional variations, but around here salvage copper (incld wire) goes for ~$4/lb. Several folks have decided to break into various site's Conex and steal our wire - - leaving power tools, pipe fittings, and instrumentation sitting next to it. One even used a basket lift to pull it out of the ground.

I guess it beats an honest day's pay?

Copper scrap price for bare bright was $3.40 last Saturday when I scrapped some stripped wire. The place was crazy. I wouldn’t wait to scrap copper.