Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harvey G-700 - Unpacking, etc Review

That is an interesting dust collector with a unique form factor. I am a bit surprised at the cost versus cfm performance.

A good friend of mine recently bought one of these Harvey extractors and likes it a lot. He did keep the cyclone for the J/P because filling the 32 gallon capacity of the Harvey would take about 5 minutes, if that...but otherwise uses the Harvey for everything else.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very well done Julie. Enjoy your new toy and thanks for the detailed storyline.

Regards,

J.

Julie,
    what dust collector were you using before this?

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    Julie,
    what dust collector were you using before this?

Matt
    I had a Delta 3/4HP drum collector that was modified with a cyclone above it.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

A little "deep dive" for anyone interested...

In tracing out the problem with the slave controller (a new one was quickly shipped out), the covers had to be removed so I took some pictures of the interior.

From left to right - Pressure gauge, Alarm, Slave controller

Left side

Rear. Two covers have to be removed to access the controller. The ON-OFF switch is upper right. When putting this against the wall, the switch cannot be accessed without rolling the unit out. The tech said the unit should be OFF if the machine is not being used for any length of time or overnight.

One of the things that bothered me was the location of the slave controller. You have to be almost directly in front of it to clearly see the display readings. When the new slave controller arrived, I connected it to the main and ran it up above the worktop. It's much easier to read the display now. It's probably staying there.

The other revelation was the slave now reads volts and amps. The faulty one did not. Pushing the OK button now cycles through Hz, volts, amps and another reading I have yet to figure out.

All in all it works great now.

Julie, beautifully informational thread on a company's equipment with whom I was unfamiliar. Thanks for the informative posts and photos! BTW, congratulations on the new equipement!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Julie, beautifully informational thread on a company's equipment with whom I was unfamiliar. Thanks for the informative posts and photos! BTW, congratulations on the new equipment!
    Ken, I had not heard of them either but after doing some research I ran across this article. Here's a quote from the article:

Currently, Harvey Industries does business with 105 countries, both as a metal-working and woodworking tool supplier. In 85 of them, the company sells as its own Harvey Industries label. For the others, Harvey serves as an OEM supplier, providing machines for around 50 different tool brands. He estimates that about one third of those machinery brands are found in the U.S., and several of them are major woodworking tool companies we use in our shops.
    One picture in the article looked like rows of cabinet saw bases for Grizzly. I think they make machines for Laguna, too. They also make Bridge City tools. Both Harvey Woodworking and Bridge City tools are on the Harvey Industries International website.

Knowing they have been in the metalworking and woodworking business for a while made it easier to make the purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    They also make Bridge City tools. Both Harvey Woodworking and Bridge City tools are on the Harvey Industries International website.
    I believe Bridge City relationship started as licensed manufacturing and then harvey acquired them: https://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/n...e-manufacturer

Harvey is surprising. It was interesting to see very different designs coming from China, rather than just lower-cost clones of long-standing designs.

Matt

Would this dust collector work for woodturning, which produces lots of long stringy shavings? I recall having seen a screen over the primary intake, wondering if that could be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by David M Peters View Post
    Would this dust collector work for woodturning, which produces lots of long stringy shavings? I recall having seen a screen over the primary intake, wondering if that could be removed.
    There are steel fins welded to the 6" intake. The fins are fairly thin which could split long shavings but I would imagine some might get caught up in the fins. You could call them and ask. They are pretty helpful.

Julie, how is this thing doing with your planer? Just curious. My guy who loves it, I think is 75% sheet goods on the saw. Less so, solid wood.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Julie, how is this thing doing with your planer? Just curious. My guy who loves it, I think is 75% sheet goods on the saw. Less so, solid wood.

Erik
    It definitely beats the old system. When I run the planer, the DC is turned up all the way. There's still a few chips left though. Is it possible for a DC to pick up everything on the A3-31?

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    It definitely beats the old system. When I run the planer, the DC is turned up all the way. There's still a few chips left though. Is it possible for a DC to pick up everything on the A3-31?
    Nor really, in my opinion. The planer always spits out some quantity of chips onto the table, no matter which machine. As long as it gets most of them, that's what matters. If you ever want a laugh, remove the DC hose and run a board through the planer. It's like a Youtube prank in your shop.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Nor really, in my opinion. The planer always spits out some quantity of chips onto the table, no matter which machine. As long as it gets most of them, that's what matters. If you ever want a laugh, remove the DC hose and run a board through the planer. It's like a Youtube prank in your shop.

Erik
    Better yet, just imagine this...cleaning the machine out after letting it run without collection is a thankless task!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...