Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanna make the wife happy? This project is for you

Blog Entries

Wanna make the wife happy? This project is for you

Not my usual project, but honestly a total game changer. My wife has been on my case to build a spice rack, but this is better. Had to break out the high school math, but in the end it fit like a champ. Poplar finished in satin nitro. Bottles were an Amazon special. For a project that took all of 2 hrs, this brings much joy, and at least 2 husband points, of which I’m desperately in need of.
    6CC16A6F-8F34-4719-BB54-A6E8C5817B72.jpg8A50987B-6A31-4304-8935-71FA4DE97302.jpg2258CD78-0466-433A-B9E0-15C659D395B7.jpg

Lots of spices!!! Great idea.

My wife, "What are those?"
    It would bring me great joy. Definitely going into my idea scrapbook.

Blog Entries
    After I posted this I thought to myself, you know I do all the cooking... haha. But my wife is very OCD, so I think this makes us both happy!

Quote Originally Posted by justin byers View Post
    After I posted this I thought to myself, you know I do all the cooking... haha. But my wife is very OCD, so I think this makes us both happy!
    Does that mean she's fixed the alphabetization since the photo was taken?

I like the project. If only I had a drawer to spare.

Nice job, Justin. Going to have to file this one away. My spice drawer is a disaster.

That worked out really nicely, Justin...I may need to do a similar thing for our new home once we move because there's less storage space.

That said, this would be for "me" as I'm the cook in the house and the one who anally seeks organization. Professor Dr. SWMBO doesn't have that tendency. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's really well done, Justin. Perfect for those bottles, just as you planned.

My wife buys bags of spices from Penzeys and stored them alphabetically in a really deep drawer (like 36" deep with full extension slides - yes, they exist) on our peninsula. They shift around somewhat and get hard to find, so she recently asked me to put dividers in the drawer to prevent that from happening. Three dividers equally spaced solved the problem. Took less than an hour, for which I probably earned half a bonus point, maybe a whole point for doing it the same day she asked.

John

Very nice but if building a kitchen think about a pantry cabinet, 30 to 36 wide with slideouts. We have the top one close to top of the lower section, at eye level for spices of varying heights.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    My wife buys bags of spices from Penzeys and stored them alphabetically in a really deep drawer
    We're Penzeys customers through and through, too, and for many years. Outstanding products! While I'm the organizational freak and the cook, Professor Dr SWMBO insisted that that the containers be alphabetical and in two sets...homogeneous herbs and spices and blends. While that does make it easy to find a specific thing, it also means the most common things I use are not in the same place when I go to grab them. I may insist on a compromise when we move. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I'd love a pantry, but our builders put a butlers pantry in instead. Which is actually pretty rad, but not nearly as useful for storage

Blog Entries
    And yes, she most definitely fixed the alphabetization.

Blog Entries
    HA, I've just a shallow drawer, can't use this as the bottles would be too high, and it is a rat's nest. Not me, my wife. She's the cook, probably a 100 bottles and containers in the drawer, very few from same manufacturer.
    But that is a great looking project....
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Our spices are in at least 20-30 different sizes and shapes of containers, so this is not happening in our house. Some we buy by the pound, others by the gram. Probably half are from Penzeys, even those don't come in the same size bottles. Plus it would take at least two big drawers, which we don't have to spare. Spices currently fill two and one half shelves of a 40" wide cabinet, and continue to expand whenever I find a new recipe that looks different and interesting.

Ok, spices don't last forever, well in human terms salt probably does. But many are pretty weak after a year. Dating them might help us to toss the ones we never use and the ones that are due for replacement. ....I'm sure this will not work in our kitchen so choosing my battles....