Thread: Dewalt MBF 248

Dewalt MBF 248

I unknowingly bought aDewalt 740 by Black and Decker and was happily surprise to find that the 2HP saw head fits my MBF 248.
    2HP probably will need new shaft bearings. The neat thing is now I can swap motor heads with the 248 3/4 HP.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Kluk View Post
    I unknowingly bought aDewalt 740 by Black and Decker and was happily surprise to find that the 2HP saw head fits my MBF 248.
    2HP probably will need new shaft bearings. The neat thing is now I can swap motor heads with the 248 3/4 HP.
    Huh..."unknowingly bought" is one excuse i've not tried!!
    Great news on being able to interchange. Congrats.
    earl

I am now on my 3rd RAS . 1st one is aDelta Rockwell 20a ,1/2 HP.
    Yes I bought it for the stand and figured I would give the radial 740 to someone who could use it, and then I realized that the saw head fits my older track.

You should be aware the MBF , circa 1956 or so, was measured in "old fashioned hp".
    The 7740, circa 1977 or so, was measured in the new fangled marketing term, " developed hp "

The mbf frame 156 motor goes at 9.8 amps.
    The frame 350 motor on the 7740 comes in at 12 amps. So your looking at about a 20% increase, not a 166% increase.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

I squished the windings a little by following a video that isn't the same as my 740 to get the bearing out.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDMUP0OsoMs&t=328s
    Anyway my bearings are 6203Z. They arent different with a split ring like the video. I thought I was going to find some kind of snap ring somewhere along the line but there was nothing. Any input appreciated.

replaced with new bearings. Would do the procedure different next timeas in pull the non drive bearing first then knok out the shaft a little to get a grab on the drive side bearing.
    Any way motor runs ,no screaming. all good again.