Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: good level

When I was a kid I had a helper construction job. Boss had an expensive metal level that was not accurate. Probably dropped too many times.
    I asked him if he used it on the tower of Pisa. But got no answer.

I have a couple of Stabilas, too. But with my eyes getting older, I like the Empire Blue levels that have a light inside the bubbles for visibility. I checked several of them against each other at HD, to make sure that the one I picked was true. I also have a Dewalt green laser that is the bomb for installing shelves, cabinets and the like.

If I was just a homeowner, the Amazon Huepar green laser level would be accurate enough in conjunction with a level.

When building in cabinets, I have used two types of aids: a 24" long digital Bosch level, and a laser on a tripod (there are plenty of these around).

This is the Bosch ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

I bought a new Empire level a while back without looking at it closely enough. For some reason they beveled off all the corners, back about 3/16", making it impossible to accurately use the level to draw a line with a pencil using the edge as a guide. I can't imagine what the logic is for that, or what the intended use of the beveled corners is. It's pretty, but not nearly as useful as my beaten up old square-edge level.

For our house project a few years ago I splurged on a Dewalt green laser that projects both level and plumb lines. For tasks like hanging cabinets it is just awesome!

I have cheap empires and Johnson’s from Home Depot. For a cabinet install you can make them work just fine. Mine have served for 20 years faithfully.

That said. A 4 ft level that also is a reliable straight edge may be useful in other applications too such as tool set up. If I had to do it again, I might upgrade for that reason.

One trick I used repeatedly when I needed a lighter, longer, or skinnier level is to build my own straight edge for the project from lumber and tape a small torpedo level to the top.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 03-23-2021 at 7:44 AM.

1st choice would be a Stabila as they are top quality, but if on a budget the Empire .
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Crick Tool- www.cricktool.com

If you want a substantial level that you'll like every time you pick it up

https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/sola-lsx482410
    1 each 48", 24", 10" Sola levels for $151.80 plus shipping.

-or-

https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/stabila-22135
    1 each 48", 24", 12" Stabila levels for $130.00 plus shipping.

Both seem like decent deals, Stabila set comes with a carrying bag though.

Blog Entries
    I second the use of a laser level for setting kitchen cabinets. My son got a Bosch red laser under $150 IIRC. Very useful also for setting steel stud walls in his basement as well as getting a long straight line for flooring without tripping over a chalk line. Many uses. Supplemented with 2' and 4' Johnson spirit levels. I have a 6' aluminum level with milled edges which I find very useful for trimming doors and as a long straightedge, don't remember the brand.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 03-23-2021 at 10:11 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

Ole, I'm actually considering investing in a "reasonably nice" laser level when my future new shop project happens. It can be very useful to have.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Stabila and/or laser levels. Period.
    Get the box levels, not the flat ones. My 5' Stabila has a digital readout and the others don't but they're all great.
    When you buy ANY level, check it by putting it on a "level" surface and note the centre level bubble, then turn it end for end. They should match, otherwise, try another level.
    I also have a 2' Johnson which is a joy.
    But I also agree, a laser level for hanging cabinets is the answer for installing cleats.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Blog Entries
    Go to Lowes and Home Depot. Both stores have them. You will know when you when you find one you like.

have stabila stuff. Still likely can see finer resolution on a bubble than the digital one though digital is easier to see the big numbers. LIke a digital caliper compared to my dial indicator, the dial shows finer resolution than the digital can but the digital is easier to read

[QUOTE=roger wiegand;3109508]I bought a new Empire level a while back without looking at it closely enough. For some reason they beveled off all the corners, back about 3/16", making it impossible to accurately use the level to draw a line with a pencil using the edge as a guide. I can't imagine what the logic is for that, or what the intended use of the beveled corners is. It's pretty, but not nearly as useful as my beaten up old square-edge level.
    Mine is not beveled , Can’t imagine why they would change them. Gonna check the ones available here. You might find a store
    with some older stock.

oh, I liked the Pisa comment