Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 220V Tools & Extension Cords

220V Tools & Extension Cords

I've had two homes over the past 25 years and in both cases all my power tools have been run on 110 volts. An upcoming move has afforded me the "opportunity" to buy a new table saw (a SawStop cabinet model) and start from scratch with my shop setup. Unfortunately, as before, my shop will be shared with two cars in a three car garage. In the past I've had all my equipment except for my lathe mounted on heavy duty casters and after backing out one or both cars I positioned my equipment for good work flow. Since I never ran any of the power tools at the same time except for the dust collector, I simply had each one plugged into a heavy duty extension cord, normally 25 feet or less.

When I set things up at the new place I'd like to use 220 volts where possible. I plan on ordering the SawStop as a 220 volt unit, and re-wire my Jet 14" band saw to run on 220. My Delta dust collector also has the ability to be re-wired for 220 volts. If we have a house built I want to have the builder include several 220 volt outlets in the garage. However, they'd be wall-mounted and not anywhere near the middle of the garage floor, where the table saw and band saw would be moved to for operation. Is there any problem using a 220 volt extension cord to run these units? The 110 volt extension cables I used previously were 12/3 and never longer than 25 feet. Running the equipment on 220 volts would draw half the current that it would on 110. I see extension cables on Amazon that use 8/3 wire which seems like that is way overkill for my equipment - they appear to be aimed at welders.

Any suggestions? Are any of you running your 220 volt tools with extension cords?

Thanks, Jim

I have for over 45 years, including coming into the houses I was building from a temporary service. Make up cords with a larger gauge wire than the minimum, out of some variation of wire that starts with the letters SO .

If the wire is heavy enough, there's really no difference to the load from a good cord, and a long run of Romex in walls. They just warn people against using extension cords because some idiot with use a 100' 16 gauge one.

I buy a 12/2+G extension cord from the hardware store and replace the plugs on the end. I think I recently bought a 10' prewired cord when I realized it was cheaper from amazon than buying the plugs separately. (I use the twist-lock plugs in my shop and always replace the ends of new tools if they don't as well.)

There's nothing different about using an extension cord for 220 vs 110 (other than using the correct plugs so you don't confuse the two). Wire size is based on amps and length. Unless the garage is already further away from the panel than it should be without a subpanel, I wouldn't think twice about having some 25' extension cords around.

My tablesaw is in the middle of the shop, powered by a more-or-less-permanent extension cord run across the ceiling.

Bruce

14/3 flexible cord is rated for 18 amperes.

It's what I use for 240 volt extension cords for my machinery as my largest machine is 16 amperes (4HP saw/shaper).

You could also use 12/3 if you wanted which is rated at 25 amperes.................Regards, Rod.

I run both my bandsaw 220v and my SawStop pcs on an extension cord.. I have never had an issue
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Like Tom, I make up cords to fit the situation without extra slack. I also do pigtails on the machine. That adds some cost due to the extra connections (and I use twist locks), but it provides more flexibility.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

+1 with same saw

I run mine with a heavy duty extension cord as well.

I've run my Felder bandsaw and table saw, both 4hp I think, off a dryer outlet using a 25 foot extension cord from HD. I cut the socket end off and wired a twist lock socket on it.

I have a 220 drop down from the ceiling to run my bandsaw, I just wired it as one would if it was a wall outlet

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    They just warn people against using extension cords because some idiot with use a 100' 16 gauge one.
    Tom, ever been in a Lowes just before a hurricane, and watch people buying a 5500 watt generator and a couple 16ga extension cords to "run the house?" Thankfully most don't lose power and return both generator and cord sets. I only own one cord set that's 14ga, the rest are either 12ga, or 10 ga, with the exception of one my son gave me. It's 75" long and 6 ga. Seldom does it ever get used. Do own a 100', 3 wire plus ground 10 ga. We use it with ministry to run an electric stove over at the fair grounds

I've been using extension cords(10 gauge w/ SJOOW), with a twistlock to a pigtail at the tool.

You might be able to minimize floor clutter by adding a power drop in your ceiling, if you already know where you're likely to be using your tools.

What are you doing for dust collection? (that tends to be the other thing that impinges on free movement around the shop)

Matt

James,

Sorry, I didn't have time to read the other responses.

The connectors on an extension cord have to match the outlet(s) wired into the shop and there are several types for each amperage. I don't use 220v extension cords in the wood shop, preferring instead to put 220v outlets at every machine that needs it, but a cord is easy to make. - you can get the flexible cable in any size and the connectors from an electrical supply company (local to almost everyone).

I did make an extension cord to use my welders and plasma cutter outside the shop when working on farm equipment. I made one good for 50amps, about 25' long if I remember correctly. It's pretty heavy!

JKJ

Folks - thanks for the great replies. Now I feel confident that using some 12/3 extension cables will be OK.

Regards, Jim

Jim, I have a SS and a 220v dust collector running off of 220 extension cords. I bought 50' of 12/3 at HD and cut it in half, then put on the same plugs as the SS and they work great. However, if you're having a house built, why not have the builder put a few lines into the ceiling? I had an electrician put a panel in my garage (where they usually are, but my house it was in the basement 100' away). I ran some 12/3 romex from the panel, up to the area above the garage and then installed outlets in the ceiling. Single wire run per outlet, so three runs. When the house is being constructed, it shouldn't cost any more that $150.

On my extension cords, I just put in 220v ends. On my ceiling runs, I put in turn/lock 220v outlets, so they don't come out when bumped. That's how my SS is run now, the drop is right down at the back left corner of the saw (after a year or two, the extensions become a tripping hazard).