Thread: Odd diminsion blind corner cabinet: anyone used swingout shelves?

Odd diminsion blind corner cabinet: anyone used swingout shelves?

I got a odd dimensioned blind corner cabinet I'm making for my very narrow kitchen. The current corner cabinets have the stove in between them (kitchen is u-shaped), and there is no entry into the cabinets on the stove side, so there could be 20 crock pots back there and I wouldn't find them. Dimension wise, I can't make a lazy susan work, and the narrowness of the kitchen doesn't favor bi-fold doors (or my WW skills!). Has anyone used something like this? Or this? I'll be honest, I don't really like the cost, look, or the loss of storage volume. Are there any other options for a blind corner cabinet that maximize storage that are not a lazy susan?

I'll share the corner cabinet in my kitchen because I happened to have some pictures handy. I'm not a fan of lazy susan's so I wanted something different. Full disclosure...I did not make these cabinets nor the insert pictured, but it's pretty straightforward in design. The first section pulls out and swings out of the way. Then there are two drawers/trays hidden in the back portion of the cabinet that pull out for access. It's not perfect by any means but it's a good place to store stuff you don't often use. Take it for what it's worth...I'm just throwing spit balls at you.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg
    Last edited by David Lageman; 03-22-2021 at 4:51 PM.
    A wannabe woodworker!

Personally I don't worry about the dead space in corners and just leave it there. What I do do is make all my cabinets with drawers rather than doors. I'd rather have a cabinet with 3-4 drawers and lost dead space than trying to engineer a way to use that dead space. Good chance the drawers will hold more, be more functional, and easier access.

I've done some skinny cabinets next to stoves. Some have been a tall narrow drawer for cookie sheets/drying racks and a couple others have essentially been a drawer on edge with hooks (on what would normally be the 'bottom') to hang pots/pans on. On one of these the cabinet was about 11" wide so the drawer was about 9" wide and I used 1/2" material for the 'bottom' and put it right in the center. So imagine a 19x22x9" drawer that's standing on edge that has what would normally be the bottom installed in the center rather than at the bottom. So when you pull the drawer open you have a 4.25" open cavity on each side, each of which has room to hang a few skillets. So 5-6 skillets/small pots in one tiny cabinet just from one drawer.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan Gage; 03-22-2021 at 4:38 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lageman View Post
    I'll share the corner cabinet in my kitchen because I happened to have some pictures handy. I'm not a fan of lazy susan's so I wanted something different. Full disclosure...I did not make these cabinets nor the insert pictured, but it's pretty straightforward in design. The first section pulls out and swings out of the way. Then there are two drawers/trays hidden in the back portion of the cabinet that pull out for access. It's not perfect by any means but it's a good place to store stuff you don't often use. Take it for what it's worth...I'm just throwing spit balls at you.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg
    We have the same cabinet in our kitchen right next to the stove. My wife keeps cooking essentials like oil, cooking spray, small amount of flour, etc on the pull out baking g pans and less used items are on the two sliding shelves.

I use my dead corners as storage space for doomsday prepping. All that wasted space can store several months worth of canned goods in a space that no post apocalyptic roving warlord, nor his henchmen would evert think to look.