Thread: Nova TK-48246 chuck

Nova TK-48246 chuck

Is this chuck a good one for a mini lathe (Rikon 70-105)? https://www.amazon.com/NOVA-G3-Chuck...6436108&sr=8-8

Does it have everything I will need? I have seen ad's for chucks for far less, but it looks like I have to buy other jaws or bits and pieces to make it work. I'd like to do it once and be done.

Any other chucks you'd recommend?

Nova makes decent chucks. I used them for about two years, but have upgraded (IMO) to Axminster chucks. Record makes a similar chuck, but a little better IMO. I also have a Hurricane HTC 125 that is good, but too big for a mini lathe. Hurricane has a smaller HTC 100 that would work. Other top line chucks are OneWay and Vicmarc. The reason I switched to Axminister is the fact they have the largest jaw selection and you buy jaw slides and just crank one set out and another set in. I think I had 7 Nova and Record chucks. I now have just 3 Axminster chucks ands one set of jaws are O’Donnald jaws that I use a lot.
    One thing about direct thread is if you ever upgrade the only way to use that chuck is with a spindle adapter and not ideal, but will work. If you get a chuck with an insert you only have to change the insert, much more desirable. Recommendations in order: Vicmarc, OneWay, HTC 100, Record, and Nova. I would recommend Axminister, but all Axminister chucks are direct thread and if you change lathes you would need to use a spindle adapter.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Several thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jackson Wyoming View Post
    Is this chuck a good one for a mini lathe (Rikon 70-105)? https://www.amazon.com/NOVA-G3-Chuck...6436108&sr=8-8
    I like the G3 for that size lathe. This particular bundle concerns me some though. First the vendor, (3rd party, not Amazon), has good reviews, but doesn't seem to offer much woodworking equipment, so probably not good support. E.g. the ad doesn't even mention the sizes of the extra jaws that I can find. (Though they look reasonably useful.) Also, recently TeknaTools has had complaints about their customer service, probably COVID related issues as they been decent in days past, but leaves you relying more on the vendor.

As far as direct threaded... it depends. Plus side it saves you about $26 for an insert and uses slightly less of your bed length. But on the minus side you can't move the chuck to a bigger lathe if you upgrade.

... Does it have everything I will need? I have seen ad's for chucks for far less, but it looks like I have to buy other jaws or bits and pieces to make it work. I'd like to do it once and be done. ...
    The ad doesn't state what exactly the other chucks are. Looks like the pen jaws and a larger, maybe 4", set of jaws. The 4" size might be a little much for your small lathe, but could be useful if you are very careful about what you mount. And no, it's not everything you'll need/want. If you'll use these jaw sizes it'll save you some coin due to the bundle.

Whether you will need other jaws really depends on what you end up working on. I think a lot of people do fine with just the standard 2" (50mm) jaw set on their chuck. Off the top of my head you will want a live center for you tail stock, and maybe many other things depending on your work. E.g. different drive centers / spurs, face plates, or maybe a pen mandrel, to name just a few things.

... Any other chucks you'd recommend?
    I have only used TeknaTool chucks. The SuperNova2 is nice on bigger lathes and the G3 was very well matched to the smaller lathe, (I think a earlier model of yours,) I used in a class. That said there are other well reviewed produces in the G3 class. If you have a local dealer and/or a club, there is some advantage to going with the local majority choice. (Borrowing, advice on, and quickly picking up extra bits & pieces.)

I have this chuck that I use on my Jet midi lathe. It works well and I have had no issue with it. I am a novice turner just starting out so I bought this chuck with all the jaws so I could just try things. I have used the chuck with the medium and larger jaws in both compression and expansion mode, mostly I am just trying new things all the time. It seems to be a good beginner chuck. If I upgrade my lathe (already thinking about it) I will be buying a chuck for the 1-1/4 spindle.

That looks to be Nova's "30th Anniversary G3 Bundle". Jaw sizes are 50 mm, 100 mm, and their pin jaws (if you're drilling pen blanks, their "pen jaws" are more suitable than "pin jaws"). I've got a few G3's that i use on a 12" Rikon, and seems to be a good chuck. Can't speak to the pricing--i bought my G3 bundle lightly used.
    earl

Another thought. TeknaTools seems to be releasing a variation on their chuck line.

We all learned "righty tighty" and it's become ingrained. TeknaTools' chucks have always tightened into a recess. So to tighten around a tenon, you had to turn to the left (counter clockwise.) This was opposite of (some?) other brands. Their recent ad copy suggests they are releasing "improved" chucks where they reversed their traditional direction.

I have always found it didn't mater which way as long as it was consistent. The only time I have had trouble with turning left to tighten my SuperNova 2 was when I was taking a machining class and the metal lathe's chuck turned right to tighten. I don't know about you, but making sure *all* my chucks worked the same is pretty high on my list!

(Of course you could have a mismatch if you mix brands too.)

I wonder if Nova started with the opposite threading because if you're holding by a recess, then righty is still tighty. Their manuals seem to push recesses rather than tenons for work holding -- their guidance on how big a workpiece their chucks will handle is much larger for recesses than tenons, and the tenon section has all kinds of warning language about insecure holds.

It's still like backing a four wheel wagon for me -- everything is double backwards.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    I have always found it didn't mater which way as long as it was consistent. ...
    All mine are Novas and I'm comfortable with them.

But I do one thing anyway: draw an arc with an arrow above the key socket with the letters "OUT".