Thread: Underbench cabinet: final pictures of Stage One

Underbench cabinet: final pictures of Stage One

These are final pictures of Stage One. "Stage One" - what does that mean? Well, the first step is to build the cabinet under the bench. The second stage will be to fit out the drawers for the tools. I plan to do some of the latter shortly, and some later. I will post these as they are done. For now, here is the underbench cabinet ...

The rear, before the back was installed ...

The front. The ring pulls are antiqued brass (they are not shiny). I need to work them a little more to remove the still-new look. These were chosen as they drop down and do not project out from the front of the cabinet ...

Under the bench ...

The bench top received a little flattening, and a single coat of danish oil ...

Someone is sure to ask why the cabinet is low. The answer is that there needs to be space for hold downs ...

The drawers manage about 90% extension ...

One of the first fit outs will involve this set of Kiyohisa bench chisels I have been collecting one-by-one (these are no longer available) ...

And here is one of the small drawers ...

Thanks for supporting the build to date. Hopefully there were some aspects that will prove helpful.

Regards from Perth

Derek

What a beautiful addition to a beautiful bench. Let the games begin filling up those drawers! Congrats...
    A wannabe woodworker!

Derek, you might try Birchwood Casey cold-bluing solution on your brass ring drawer pulls. It imparts a coloration similar to old brass cartridge cases.

Blog Entries
    Looks great.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Looks great Derek and thanks for the motivation-you went start-to-finish in the time that it has taken me to get back to making one drawer...

The ring pulls look good and I am considering the same. Can I ask where you sourced them and what size(s) you used?

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra