Thread: This Square picked up what appears to be an old Square?

This Square picked up what appears to be an old Square?

Picked this up this weekend, not knowing what it is, simply because I thought it was interesting and have never seen one! Yes, I realize that is not sound logic for a buying decision.

Anyway, did a quick search on the Ebay machine and judging by pictures only, it appears to be a Topps Framing Square with an 1892 patent. It's very "crusty" so I can't really read any of the inscriptions. I figured I'd ask the SMC group to see if they can ID what exactly I bought if possible? I didn't try to clean it at all since I'm not sure what it is, so this is how I brought it home!

Thoughts, if any? Also, if this isn't the correct spot for this type of question, maybe one of the mods would be kind enough to move it to the appropriate forum.

20210322_120022.jpg

20210322_120048.jpg
    Last edited by David Lageman; 03-22-2021 at 12:23 PM.
    A wannabe woodworker!

Never saw one like that either and it probably would have followed me home too. Looks like it might be useful, I wonder it it has a specific trade use.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Not many of them around ! Looks like a combo square and bevel . I’ve heard bevels called “bevel- square” , so it looks like you have
    found the origin of the combo name. The mystery is “sol-ved”. Probably somebody around who’s been looking for one for a long time.

Blog Entries
    There have been similar items on Patrick Leach's monthly tools for sale lists.

A lot of my knowledge about tools has come from reading through those lists and viewing the images.

You can sign up here > http://www.supertool.com/

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    I think that's it...thanks so much for the link.
    A wannabe woodworker!

So now comes the question...does one try to clean this up or just leave it alone. I didn't buy it with the intent of actually using it but more of a collection starter.
    A wannabe woodworker!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lageman View Post
    So now comes the question...does one try to clean this up or just leave it alone. I didn't buy it with the intent of actually using it but more of a collection starter.
    One thought on that is you can always clean it tomorrow, you can never return its years of patina from use. If there isn't corrosion or rot needing to be inhibited and it isn't going to be used it may be best to leave it as it is.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    If you clean the grunge off and coat it with Johnson floor wax, it will not rust and grunge up again.
    I have a can that is over 10 years old. My tools have no rust on them and I live in an environment that encourages rust.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    One thought on that is you can always clean it tomorrow, you can never return its years of patina from use. If there isn't corrosion or rot needing to be inhibited and it isn't going to be used it may be best to leave it as it is.

jtk
    This was my line of thinking as well...let it live in all it's ugly beauty...lol. The only reason I would think about cleaning it is to be able to see the markings on it, but again, it's highly unlikely I would actually use it so maybe the markings are better left to imagination. Thanks for the feedback.
    A wannabe woodworker!

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    If you clean the grunge off and coat it with Johnson floor wax, it will not rust and grunge up again.
    I have a can that is over 10 years old. My tools have no rust on them and I live in an environment that encourages rust.
    Thanks Lowell...if I end up cleaning it up, I'll do just that to preserve it.
    A wannabe woodworker!

From your pictures, it's so badly rusted that a significant portion of the inscriptions may have been lost. My understanding is that electrolysis is the least destructive rust remover, perhaps you can give that a try.