Thread: PM3520 - Swing away or extension for tailstock "storage"

PM3520 - Swing away or extension for tailstock "storage"

I have a PM3520B, and an unfortunate penchant for long handles on bowl gouges. When working the inside of bowls, I always move the tailstock all the way right to the pin, pull the quill back and remove the live center to clear working space.

I've been pondering adding either the swing away or a bed extension to help with this. I am pinched for space on the right side, so if I opted for the swing away, I'd have to reposition it largely from the front of the lathe, meaning that I'd be reaching over and down to grab it, rather than moving around the end of the lathe to reposition it. The swing away has a spring assist, but I'm not sure if the manual lift needed is significant. Adding 20" to the lathe bed is also a space issue, but I think I can squeeze it in. But then it's fixed in place, which is a little clunkier than something I could move out of the way when I want to use the space off the end of the lathe for other purposes.

Right now the retail cost difference is $270 (swing away) v $440 (extension); while nothing to sneeze at, this difference is not really a factor when I take the long view. The extension also offers the capability for turning off the end, but 16" is about the biggest thing I've ever turned, and we don't have much wood in this area that big even if I wanted to turn big, so that's not a real factor (not to mention I don't have the space to work off the end of the lathe to full advantage). The extension also gives more space between centers if I wanted it, but in the 10 years or so that I've had it, I've not once wanted to turn a spindle longer than the 35"-ish initial capacity. The purpose here is really just tailstock storage.

My gut is telling me that the extension is a better idea, because I can just slide the tailstock out there and leave it, then slide it back in. It really doesn't require any more motion than I do now, aside from pushing it a little farther along the ways (I'm assuming the extension can be aligned well enough that the seam is a non-issue). No fussing with knobs or leaning over to pull the swing away back. But I've only seen the swing away in video/pictures, never touched one with my hands, and am not likely to in the near term.

One thing I'm concerned about is whether the bed extension sold for the 3520C still fits a B. The swing away explicitly says it fits earlier models, the bed extension lit does not say that.

So, looking for thoughts on the choice, advantages/disadvantages I haven't thought of. I'm also curious about how much clear space off the end of the lathe the swing away needs to pass through its arc (meaning how far out the longest projection of the tailstock is as it goes from the upper to lower position). I haven't been able to find that spec.

Thanks for any thoughts or experiences.

Dave

another use

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mount View Post
    ...The extension also gives more space between centers if I wanted it, but in the 10 years or so that I've had it, I've not once wanted to turn a spindle longer than the 35"-ish initial capacity. The purpose here is really just tailstock storage.

My gut is telling me that the extension is a better idea, because I can just slide the tailstock out there and leave it, then slide it back in. It really doesn't require any more motion than I do now, aside from pushing it a little farther along the ways (I'm assuming the extension can be aligned well enough that the seam is a non-issue)....
    Hey Dave,

I have the bed extension for my 3520b and I love it. I have occasionally turned long spindles but I use it more often just to get the tailstock out of the way as you surmised. BTW, it can be aligned perfectly with the lathe bed. There is a little trick some use.

But even more than getting the tailstock out of the way, I like the extra bed length for another reason. I make small "tables" that fit on the lathe bed to hold tools and other small things while turning. I have two I use on the PM. If turning small things with the tailstock close, I'll put one or both behind the tailstock, otherwise in front (or both). I make these to fit every lathe. The block fits in the bed gap and keeps it from tilting even if pressed down on the end. Sometimes I put short-pile carpet on the surface and usually add sides. Keeps tools handy (and helps my scattered brain to stay a bit more organized in a demo!)

lathe_PM_Jan17_IMG_5751.jpg tool_tray.jpg

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 03-22-2021 at 12:56 PM.

I have the bed extension on my PM-3520B. It remains in the lower position most of the time and there I use it for storage. I have used the additional length on the bed on occasion, most recently I used it to turn the center pedestal for a table.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

What is wrong with just removing the tailstock and placing it on the floor when it is in the way? I ask because that is what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    What is wrong with just removing the tailstock and placing it on the floor when it is in the way? I ask because that is what I do.
    Because it weigh 50 pounds and a pain in the rear end. IMO

Dave -- If your only objective is to get the tailstock out of the way when it's not needed, I'll add another alternative: make a wheeled cabinet with wooden ways that match your lathe's bed. When you you need the tailstock out of the way, just move it onto the cabinet (just like you would with the swing away or the bed extension). Since the cabinet is on wheels, you can easily move it out of the way when it's not needed. And, of course, the cabinet would be a useful place to store commonly used lathe accessories and supplies. This approach is much less expensive than either the swing away or the bed extension. And, it allows you more flexibility in using your cramped space. It can be moved completely out of the way, making it easier to maneuver around the lathe. The downside, compared to the lathe extension is it does not increase the lathe's capacity.

This is not my idea. The handsome and talented Mike Peace has such a cabinet at the end of his 3520B. He's shown and discussed it on some of his YouTube videos. (I wasn't able to find the one I was thinking about with a quick search. Perhaps Mike can be persuaded to provide us with a link.)
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Then there is the DIY swing away. I built a version of this but I have a Nova DVR-XP and I'm sure the tailstock is lighter than yours.

https://youtu.be/MD7udmALf0Y
    RD

Thanks all for your input. John, clever idea on the tables (as usual), that's now on my to do list. When searching for info on bed extensions and swing aways I saw threads on the adjacent shelf or cart idea. A couple hesitations I have about that are 1) that I have the mentioned space issue to the right of the lathe (my bandsaw sits nearby) and the lower space is the issue, leaving room for the lower wheel door to open. Since it would be a mobile cart that isn't a show-stopper, except then I have to find another place to put the cart. Maybe the more embarrassing issue is that the floor of my shop often has a fair coating of shavings and debris, which means that rolling the cart in so it lines up with the ways would not be a simple as it sounds, unless I change my habits, which seems unlikely at this point. But both this and the home-built swing away would certainly be cheaper options that the cost of the extension in particular, as they aren't cheap (just under $400 for the 3520B version, which it turns out is different than the 3520C version, which is more like $450). I realize the cheapest option is to lift it off the lathe, but then I really need a dedicated place to put it (like a cart).

Still stewing about it, but appreciate all the perspectives, very helpful in thinking through it.

Best,

Dave

9. Dave, This is what I did utilizing the bed extension. The tailstock utilizes the space under the extension.
    The swing away is 1/2" MDF, Hard Maple and hinges.34626-9f3f2f87f77621ebf3914a8e26aabc42.jpg
    34628-1c0322abffb42905dbe8fa6cf8859888.jpg34623-ce021ef6fafdf0991d49799e83ba58ba.jpg34624-501b1a494056cf00763b1ed3fa5cbd5e.jpg

That is clever. What's the heft like to bring it back up into position? And what holds it in position when it's up level with the ways?

11. It takes very little effort to swing in/out of place, m34629-853f3f05eff3b83f1582d39bdf3b16e1.jpg46.JPGuch less than removing from the bed. I just hold the swivel level, slide the tailstock onto it and lock it in place. Then swing the unit down/up into stored position. Attached photos show the hook that holds it in the stored position.

I had the extension on my 3520B. Thought I would try the swing away on my 3520C. For me the swing away is better by far. Tailstock is totally out the way.

I think Brent English at Robust needs to make his tilt away tailstock set up made to fit other lathes.... Best set up I have seen, other than the one on my Vic 240. It pivots the tailstock 180 degrees, and it has a metal bar to register on and a clamp so it goes back spot on and you can leave the tailstock on it for turning spindles. Never was able to get the ones on my Robust to line up properly, but that may have been because I tried to adjust it for a better fit...

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray;[URL="tel:3109934"
    3109934[/URL]]I think Brent English at Robust needs to make his tilt away tailstock set up made to fit other lathes....robo hippy
    I believe they tried that a while back - for the PM 3520b - before PM decided it was too good an idea not to try themselves.

A lot of good ideas since I'm wrestling with the same issue having just ordered the 3520C yesterday. Just thinking about using the extension to get the tailstock out of the way, it seems to me that you would still not have a straight shot at the inside of the bowl from the tailstock side. Wouldn't it still be in the way?