Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

22 Mar 2021

Greetings,
    More time in the shop this week as well as working oncall duty. My #2 son decided that he wants to move out in Dec and is now figuring out that he will need furniture in his apartment or house. I think it's funny that some don't realize what they are going to need until they decide to move out on their own.
    He decided he wanted to build himself a TV stand/entertainment center and that's what we've been working on this week as he and I both got time. It and the kitchen pantry expansion will be under primer and coat 1 of paint by the end of this coming week.

I come off of oncall duty in just about 8 hours from now. Then I will be a free man once again.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

This weekend I built a mobile lumber card with 2x4s and leftover plywood scraps from my ongoing kitchen cabinet project. It's 24" wide and 6' long. The base I made from two 2x4s laminated together with half-lap joints at the corners joined with epoxy. It holds a ton of wood and with the wheels I can pull it away to get to the cabinet behind it. Better than keeping the pile of lumber on the bare concrete floor where it was before.

The twenty cabinet boxes are completed for the kitchen and all the doors are glued up. Next is sanding the doors smooth and then I'll start the finishing process. Hope to be installing the new kitchen by June.

I finally completed the very long winded "rough sand/select stock/de-nail/rough mill" phase of the wood for my Spool Cabinet. Because it is all rough sawn, reclaimed wood getting the stock to the point you can see the grain takes quite some time. During the week I hope to mill close to final sizes and start the glue ups of the 6 panels.

Dannis, 'glad you're getting some quality shop time for your own projects as well as helping your son. And yea...they don't always know what they are going to need/want when they "go independent". LOL That's where the 'rents come in to provide carefully considered advice...

No real shop project time this past week outside of doing some preparation for a couple of small CNC things for a client. My mine (and aching bones) is focused on the "punch list" of stuff that needs to get done to prepare this property for sale. It's mostly a lot of little things, and it seems that every time I cross one thing off as complete, I add two more things to do. LOL On the new property, we're just waiting for final underwriting on the mortgage to be completed. We also got a little reduction in the purchase price on the new place because of an appraisal.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have never posted here or in the projects section, but I have been making a simple ottoman for the MRs. Her old ottoman from the 1950's has been needing replacement for a few years now.
    I bought some faux leather and made the cushion myself this past winter. Learning to sew heavier materials on the sewing machine was an experience in itself, but it came out fairly well for an amateur.
    I have to hinge the cushion so she can store her heating pad inside the base, which I made from pine, and finished in tung oil, my most used wood finish.
    I will try to post a [ictyre in the projects section when complete.

I finished the 12 drawers for my desks and installed them. Still need to do the false fronts and the pullout work surfaces that sit above the top drawers, but otherwise the desks are completely functional. I spent some time cleaning up from the drawer blitz and am ready to start work on the fronts.

Also got some time in outside as we've had a few days of splendid weather, especially for mid March. Got the main section of our deck cleaned and brought out the grill and smoker and got them cleaned up for the season. Also brought out a couple of chairs and tables so we can sit out on the deck. Picked up a couple of yards of compost for the garden beds; that's tomorrows project. My wife started her tomato and pepper plants indoors a few weeks ago. Too early to move them outside, but I want the raised beds to be ready when it's time. I wouldn't be too surprised if we got a late snow yet, but I'm enjoying the nice weather while it's here.

Finally, spent most of Sunday attending the virtual woodworking conference called wood Yak. There were sessions on Veneering, back saw selection/cleaning/tensioning, etc, spray finishing, kumiko, surface preparation, and a session on hints and tips for using setup blocks and similar methods for achieving repeatability and precision in woodworking. There was a session on furniture design that got cancelled at the last minute, but it will supposedly be available for viewing later. I thought it was a great conference and I learned a lot. For about $50 it was a steal.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--