Thread: A Texas vacation

A Texas vacation

A while back I asked for places to visit, that deal with woodworking, while vacationing in the San Antonio area on a different forum. What started to be a cheap fly down (If there is such a thing) and see Blue Bonnets for a couple of days has turned into a drive down (15 hours) and be gone for two weeks. She has researched this trip and has been selecting the clothes she is going to need to take, so getting a lot of wood is kind of out of the question.

A person recommended Berdoll saw mill as a possible place to visit. I thought we could visit and I would get a piece of really nice looking wood to make a plane out of. I bought a Kit form Lee Valley a couple of years. ago. They have some really nice looking slabs of Pecan. Their place comes into my wife face book page now. I am in the process of Building Moravian wood working bench and just out of the blue I asked her about driving the truck back down and bringing a slab back for the top. The legs on the bench are walnut and 60% complete. I think a nice pecan slab would be gorgeous.

Her response to my question is, why don't you buy one big enough to make a Moravian work bench that will double as a Kitchen table. And we can rent a U-Haul trailer and bring it back. She has always wanted a woodworking bench for a kitchen table, Why I do not have a clue.

Is she a keeper or what? And not only that, she will find the money and help pick it out.

My advise to anyone that can hear. Build for her and get the projects out of the shop and she will make sure you have anything your heart desires.
    Tom

Blog Entries
    Be careful, I visited Texas and now I live here. I married a Texas woman as well. We celebrated our 50th anniversary three years ago.

It is a state of mind ... and a whole other country!

You should hit the peak bluebonnets if you are here in the next 2-3 weeks - - start in the south (San Antonio-ish), then work north on Hwy 281 (Johnson City) or Hwy 87>Hwy 16 (Fredericksburg).

If you fly fish (or even spin cast), the white bass are running in the Hill Country rivers. Most fun allowed with clothes on; I just got back from the Llano river.

Oh, and for wood, be sure to check out the Mesquite; should be a number of spots have it - even out to Brownwood/Santa Anna area. I don't have any specific suppliers to suggest, since its 4-6 hrs south of me.

Welcome! Enjoy! Safe travels!

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Be careful, I visited Texas and now I live here. I married a Texas woman as well. We celebrated our 50th anniversary three years ago.
    Parole board turned you down, too?

When I got my time it was "Ninety-nine to Wife."