Thread: Tapping plexiglass

Tapping plexiglass

Say you had a 1/2" thick sheet of plexiglass and needed to tap a hole that was drilled beginning on the edge and continuing in 3 in. What type of thread density would you choose, coarse or fine? The strain on the anchor will be fairly minimal.
    If the end of the world ever comes move to Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years later. ~ Mark Twain
    History began on July 4, 1776. Everything before that was a mistake. ~ Ron Swanson
    The economy of what you say lends more to it's meaning than the depth of it's exclamation.
    If you need a tool and don't get it, you paid for not having it and you still don't have it.

Brad, If the bolt screwing into the plexiglass is 3/8 inch or smaller I would use a coarse thread. 16 threads per inch or more would be sufficient. If the bolt is 1/2" or bigger I would use a fine thread size. 1/2" 20 tpi or 5/8" 16 tpi.

We have pieces at work that are threaded. We use heli-coils in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    We have pieces at work that are threaded. We use heli-coils in them.
    Parse that for me, please. Seems like, from the point of view of the plastic, a heli-coil is just a slightly larger screw of the same pitch.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Parse that for me, please. Seems like, from the point of view of the plastic, a heli-coil is just a slightly larger screw of the same pitch.
    The helicoil bears the friction when an application requires inserting and removing the screw repeatedly.

A larger diameter also means more thread surface. I also believe that while the thread pitch is the same the threads themselves for a heli-coil are different that standard threads to get a better bite on the surface they are going into.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    A larger diameter also means more thread surface. I also believe that while the thread pitch is the same the threads themselves for a heli-coil are different that standard threads to get a better bite on the surface they are going into.
    You are correct about OD pitch, but the improved bite is largely one of unintended consequences. Helicoil inserts are designed so the coil ‘wire’ cross section, pitch, and internal major/minor diameters meets the intended thread standard (i.e. 1/2-13). This leaves the ‘outside thread’ of the coil at something other than a (SAE) standard - same pitch, same difference in major/minor diameters, but larger OD. And this is why the Helicoil kit comes with a custom tap - to match this OD/pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by brad hays View Post
    Say you had a 1/2" thick sheet of plexiglass and needed to tap a hole that was drilled beginning on the edge and continuing in 3 in. What type of thread density would you choose, coarse or fine? The strain on the anchor will be fairly minimal.
    I’d try 1/4-20 (coarse) :: to insure sufficient wall thickness remains in the plexiglass. (Tapping 3” deep may be the biggest challenge .... be sure to back the tap out and clear cuttings. Often!)
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 03-25-2021 at 8:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    I’d try 1/4-20 (coarse) :: to insure sufficient wall thickness remains in the plexiglass.
    Upon further review of OP's post, I agree: he's threading a hole edgewise through the sheet, so 1/4" is pretty much the maximum. With 3" of thread, I'm pretty sure pull-out of the threads will not be an issue, so even smaller might be better, maybe 10-24 or 8-32, to maximize the overall structural strength around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    (Tapping 3” deep may be the biggest challenge .... be sure to back the tap out and clear cuttings. Often!)
    Drilling that hole is probably harder than tapping it...DAMHIKT.
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 03-25-2021 at 11:07 AM.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Upon further review of OP's post, I agree: he's threading a hole edgewise through the sheet, so 1/4" is pretty much the maximum. With 3" of thread, I'm pretty sure pull-out of the threads will not be an issue, so even smaller might be better, maybe 10-24 or 8-32, to maximize the overall structural strength around it.

Drilling that hole is probably harder than tapping it...DAMHIKT.
    I considered <1/4", but unlike polyethylene family, plexiglass/acrylic/polycarbonate are not known for their lubricity :: they'll gall easily and the flute relief on #10 and/or #8 taps will just make this worse IMHO. I'd want all the 'gap' I can get on a tap. Brittle material will also chip more on finer threads.

Whose signature line is "Sharp fixes all manner of (problems)"? ...New tap may be the ticket here!

As for drilling, I have experienced the same beating. I'd sincerely hope Mr. Hays can rotate a DP table to 90deg and drill straight; maybe a doweling jig as plan B? Slow RPM; limit heat build-up; cut a hole, don't 'melt' it in.