Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lake Erie and Anchora (AYS) leg vise retrofit.

Ugh, too many hours at work to buy toys later, no play time. Pushed on through tonight. I used two of the GRK fasteners (#10 by 3 1/8) to secure the nut to the back of the vise leg. I think the screws that came with the Anchora chain kit are going to have to do. The exposed end grain is front stretcher tenon that is about to get butchered. If the screws pull out I will use through bolts and countersink the bolt heads on the front side of the leg to not interfere with the chop.

And I finally have a plan. I am going to stick with the 3.5 width for the parallel guide. That will basically destroy the existing butterfly on the front of the chop, but I saved my butterfly shaped scraps and can drop another one in no problem. That will leave about 3.5 inches of relish on the chop from the parallel guide mortise. If it breaks I would rather replace the chop than have to dip into my small stash of well seasoned white oak for a bigger parallel guide.

20210324_205026[1].jpg20210324_205107[1].jpg20210324_205048[1].jpg

Hi Scott, long hours I hear you but keep up the good work.
    another thing you Gould do to help stabilize that split is to cut a groove in the bottom edge of the chop and fit a cross grain spline. Or when you mount the parallel beam use a cross bolt (head and nut recessed) to fasten everything together.
    You had me a little confused at first with the beam on the same side as the screw hub. Those threads on the screw look amazing.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Hi Scott,

You'll love it once you get it installed! 3.5 should be plenty for the parallel guide. I have Jim's set up with a german metal screw and it's the bee's knees.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

I am done working on the bench part of the install. My bench is right side up again, this time to stay. I still have some work to do on the chop and parallel guide. With some slack in it the chain zips back and forth through both through holes and over both sprockets real nice.

The guide is overlong, I marked it up but will double check before I cut it to length tomorrow. Once to length and notched for the bitter end of the chain it will be ready to install in the chop.

The chop needs some weight taken off it, I am not running 11 inches wide floor to bench top forever, hoping to make floor wedges out of the offcuts. And a bevel on the chop where it meets the bench so I can't blame the vise for my crappy dovetails. And maybe a spline like Jim Ritter mentioned. And another butterfly. I had a couple bungee cords on the wood screw to protect the garter screws from impact forces while I was cutting the through mortise in the chop for the parallel guide. I have a different plan for the last butterfly.

Should be an epic Friday night at my place tomorrow.

20210325_211015[1].jpg20210325_211036[1].jpg

Waiting for the glue to dry. Still waiting.

20210326_194920[1].jpg20210326_194938[1].jpg20210326_195003[1].jpg20210326_195028[1].jpg

One source I didn't credit in post one is Chris Schwarz' first work bench book, the c 2010 "Workbench Design." At least one leg vise install in there where he referred to a through mortise with tapered wedges in the tenon. I internet searched "wedged mortise and tenon" and came to a CS article in the pop wodworking archives. The tenon end of my parallel guide is all set up. I ended up cutting two new wedges from a different scrap because I like the grain orientation better. I hope I cut the right joint, but I _think_ I know which way the force vectors are pointing. 50-50 shot.

I was able to use the offcut I had cut the wedges from as a chisel guide to cut the corresponding taper in the mortise of the chop.

To plane the other saw cut I am going to have to roll the bench, probably on its back, to get at the surface with the saw marks on it.

With wet glue on the chop/ parallel guide joint I have it assembled with a 2x4 scrap top and bottom. Yes, I got a couple planes out, I really like this vise a lot, and the glue isn't even dry on the parallel guide.

29 more minutes for the glue to dry one hour, time for a snack.

Calling it a day. I turned the bench up on end to get at the last side surface of the chop. Retrofits suck, do not do this.

Also I am now missing one screw for the chain leg kit. I inventoried the box the day it came in, and again a week or two later when I tried to get my rough in straight, and again when I started the install. The box was taped back shut between the three inventory checks. I am now missing a #12 x 1 inch wood screw, and I am confident it is the shop superintendent to blame. She simply cannot resist round shiny things and is fast as a lightning bolt.

I am using 1:1:1 BLO, thinner and oil based poly as a wipe on finish. One coat should be plenty. Tomorrow I should be able to finish up everything that remains, with the chop attached to the bench. Except for a trip to the hardware store.

20210326_221028[1].jpg20210326_221007[1].jpg20210326_221046[1].jpg

FWIW I did email Anchora about the lost screw at 6PM my time (10 PM on the east coast) hoping for a return email Saturday AM and instead got a return phone call within an hour. I know what screw to get to replace the one my shop superintendent has confiscated. Jim Ritter said Joe Screw is fine, #12 by one inch with a head to fit whatever is in the Ell bracket. Mine is counter sunk, so plain old wood screw for me.

I should mention leather. I went to my local purveyor for a 12x12 inch piece of garment weight suede today. My plan is to do the chop but have inventory ready if I need to do the bench side too. I ended up with one quarter of the hide of a swine, for fifteen and three quarters American dollars. Probably free in the lower 48 + shipping to Alaska. I will tack it out on a scrap of plywood and sand the hair side to a little rough so the epoxy can take hold, and have the muscle side facing the workpiece in the vise. If you want smoke tanned moose hide I can get it for you and ship, but it will be many many dollars for a very small piece, about $100 plus shipping for a piece maybe 24x24. I stayed away from brightly colored (dyed) pieces and bought as close to natural color as I could find.
    Last edited by Scott Winners; 03-27-2021 at 3:07 AM.

Scott I lined my tail vise jaws with leather after my son was using it to undo metal bolts. Smoke tanned moose hide is rather soft, good for gloves. Don't use epoxy however as you will want to replace the leather periodically. A contact adhesive is all you need to stop it falling off.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Item is in service, and so far I love it. Capacious enough to swallow my old vise whole. I messed up the wall face to screw hole distance for the ell bracket but had a left over wedge from the guide/ chop joinery. I did find some underlayment scrap laying around the garage and made dust ruffles.

And the chain does what I wanted it to do. When I think of a weight distribution hitch for towing, I am thinking of some torsion bars that keep the weight of the load on the trailer's axle, and off the hitch ball as the rig transitions among flat, uphill and downhill. What I hoped the chain would do is keep the weight of the chop on the nut and off the parallel guide. No rollerblades or skateboards were harmed with this install.

As I was adjusting the chain tension I got the weight distribution I wanted before I was done tightening the chain, the end result is really nice. As specified in the directions, I figured out I need about a quarter turn on the tommy bar to have oodles of clamping force, mine is set the chop comes into parallel with the front leg right as the quarter turn of clamping after first contact is made. So with no load the top of the chop is closer to the bench, go look at Derek's writeup, mine came out like that.

Once I have the jaws open more than about six inches I get some drooping even with the chain, but I am rarely going to be dealing with anything thicker than 12/4 rough.

I haven't installed any leather to the jaw faces yet, but I have some if I need it. I cut the chop down to stand 1/4 inch proud of the benchtop here at the very end of my dry season. I will probably wait until July or so to cut the chop flush to the bench top. My college aged daughter is sick and tired or her mom making remarks about dad's big screw and his one enormous nut. The cat only got away with one shiny thing out of a box full of interesting items, I did find the #12 x 1 inch wood screw at team orange, in Stainless it was $1.18 for a two pack.

Early days for sure, but I fully expect this vise to last the rest of my life and work well the entire time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

One week in and I am overall ecstatic. I do plan to post in this thread again in about a month, late August 2020 near the end of my wet season, and Feb/Mar 2022 at the end of my next dry season. I do expect all the parts to move around a little bit with the seasonal humidity changes.

The bad:
    1. Retrofits suck, but I am already over it. This upgrade was worth the trouble.
    2. I put the garter screws in too early. Next time I will use my lathe to turn a big dowel the same as the hole for the vise screw. Drill the big hole first, drop the custom dowel in, then drill the chain hole and parallel guide mortise while the leg and chop are still clamped together. I could not use my radial arm saw to cut a taper on the top of the chop after the garter screws were in.
    3. Vise leg post strength and benchtop real estate. I will try to address these together within three weeks.
    4. Not sure where to put my planing stop, the 3.25" chop and massive hub are quite noticeable to lean over with the planing stop at the end of my bench.
    5. 16/4 Doug Fir chop is suspect for longevity.
    6. Dremel for chain length. I had the chain install instructions open on my computer in the office adjacent to my shop space for the install. I started with a file, with the bench standing on one end since the garter screws were already in. Once I got frustrated with that I read the directions again and remembered I have a dremel tool. Adjusting the chain length with a dremel tool takes about three minutes and my reading comprehension scores should be very low. If you have a friend within 30 minutes of your house with a dremel tool it is worth two round trips to adjust the chain length with a dremel instead of a file.
    7. I put the wrong joint on my parallel guide/ chop interface. I should have put a shoulder on it. I will draw that up and be ready when/ if what I have breaks.

The good news:
    1. All my goals for a lifetime do anything vise are exceeded.
    2. I took my parallel guide to a local millwork shop and had it thicknessed to 0.630. Brilliant. When I drilled 0.625 I was able to pare the mortise in the direction it needed to go for best alignment. It was still a mallet tight fit, so I got the guide started, squirted some glue down in there, spread the glue on the mortise walls with a Qtip, hammered the guide home and toweled off the excess.
    3. I can turn the tommy bar with my knee. That idea of "unused appendage" from Jay Bates just would not get out of my head until I tried turning the tommy bar with my knee. I can do it, and I can sleep now.

Neutral findings:
    1. My lightweight 48" bench was easy to wrestle on the floor into different positions during the install.
    2. My next chop will very likely be a glue up.
    3. Thin plywood does keep dirt off the moving parts, but reverberates like a drum when the shooting board leaned against it rattles with minor bench top operations.

I haven't put any leather on the working surface of the chop face yet, but probably will very soon. The grip is good, but Dour Fir is not good at sharp edges, like the top of the chop. Shortlist also includes anti-wracking a la Derek. I have a deck of cards, but using it means my workpiece has to be higher above the benchtop for cutting tenon cheeks, with more vibration.

Scott,

I really appreciate this thread and have read it with much interest. I, too, have a Lake Erie screw and Jim's Chain Leg Vise. I bought the screw almost 9 years ago and have yet to complete the bench due to a combination of medical and life events.

Question: Can one install Jim's chain in a new installation without kneeling at all or bending much?

If you build the leg/chop assembly (essentially the vise) first it can all be done As a unit. Then build the bench. If the chop is removed to facilitate the bench assembly then yes one would need to bend down to thread the chain and attach it to the back of the parallel beam.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Thanks Jim!

I'll have to think through what it would take to build as a separate unit. Off the top of my head it would be easier than a crisscross which wants the same sort of unit build. Drilling is easier and there is whole lot less routing. Now< i need to figure where the parallel guide would go in relation to the stretcher

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post
    Thanks Jim!

I'll have to think through what it would take to build as a separate unit. Off the top of my head it would be easier than a crisscross which wants the same sort of unit build. Drilling is easier and there is whole lot less routing. Now< i need to figure where the parallel guide would go in relation to the stretcher
    The main thing (seems to me) is how heavy is your chop going to be, and how far are you going to be opening the chop routinely. I think the heavier your chop is and the wider you want the jaws with regularity, the more thought you want to give to spreading the two sprockets more than 12 inches apart.

My chop is Doug Fir, 20%MC in the middle a couple months ago, and 3 1/8 thick. With 12 inches of spread on the sprockets the chop starts drooping when the jaws are open about 6 inches. Given I mostly work in 8/4 rough and thinner stock, I am in high cotton.

I have been fiddling with some tenon cheeks on some table aprons this week, they are nominal 1x4x13 inches. I am dropping them down beside the screw to get the saw close to the bench top and reduce vibration when sawing. As built the top of my screw is 8" below the top of my bench. I rarely bring home 8/4 more than 10" wide and could easily have (2020 hindsight) raised the screw up 2" or so. Reducing the mouth depth to 6" wouldn't affect my ordinary operations at all, but I could have added 2" to the socket separation and potentially increased the max clamping force at the top of the jaw, and having the sprockets spread further might let me open the jaws wider without the chop drooping.

Do keep an eye on the nut width when raising the screw, with respect to the bench top. The current suggestion on the Lake Erie website when I did my build was to leave at least 3/4" of full thickness nut for 360 degrees around the threaded opening. On the product I got from Lake Erie I could have cut a fair bit off the length of the nut as installed, but about jack doodle off the width.

Pic is a nominal 8x8 in white spruce. I chopped the mortise with it held down to my bench top with holdfasts, but I think the vise has it tight enough I could cut a tenon on the end with ease. I have no beef with benchcrafted or their crisscross system. A lot of folks have it installed and love it. When I watch their (bench crafted) youtubes of spinning that wheel I think of the arthritis in my pinkie, and arthritis in my ring finger, and middle finger and index finger and my thumbs and I just can't commit to that little wheel. With the 8x8 pictured, I set it on my benchtop, measured it at 7.5 x 7.5 actual. Then I took the backlash out of the wooden screw (like depth adjuster on Bailey) open the chop 7 3/4 turns, held the block in there with both hands, rotated the tommy bar with my knee enough to get a grip, let go, finished torquing the tommy bar with whichever hand was easier, done.

Having said all that, the parallel guide needs to go "as low as possible" to get the 12 inch separation between the sprockets. The issue here, same with the routed groove for the benchcrafted crisscross, is the tenon on the front stretcher that goes into the vise leg.

Where do you want your front stretcher off the floor? Mine is currently at 4.5 inches off the floor, I want to drop it about half an inch for my next build. I don't hook my safety toed workboots under the stretcher every time I plane any little thing, but it can be handy.

Once you know the distance between the front stretcher bottom face and the floor, the next question is how seasoned is the material of your undercarraige? Mine is probably going to be green. A single drawbored pin should be fine for workbenches. You might look at George Washington's barn for wheat threshing, lots of pics at the Mount Vernon webpage. All those joints that I noticed, single drawbored peg. If you are building a bridge 2 pins per M/T joint might be needed. If you are building a railroad bridge, double and triple pins will be the order of the day.

Besides draw boring the tenon back towards the shoulder to pull the joint tight, you can also off set your draw bore down towards the ground, so as your front stretcher dries and shrinks the tenon on the stretcher is still weight bearing against the bottom surface of the mortise in the vise leg. Otherwise, your front stretcher and all your expensive benchplanes on that lower shelf might end up hanging on the drawbored pin.

For my next build, besides lowering the front stretcher to suit me, I will use a haunched tenon for the front stretcher just like a dining table or end table. The tenon will be full length and at least 3x the thickness of the pin in the lower part so I can pull the joint tight with the horizontal portion of the drawbore, keep the stretcher firmly on the floor of the mortise in the vise leg with the vertical component of the drawbore, and have a full length tenon out past the pin to minimize relish failure. I fully agree with Chris Schwarz that 5/8 or 3/4 pin diameter is more than adequate.

I am thinking of a shouldered joint, like in post 9 this thread where the full width front stretcher comes into a shoulder cut in the vise leg so the full thickness of the stretcher is weightbearing on the shoulder cut in the vise leg. I didn't know any better when I used two half inch pins per joint, but I did draw bore both for tight joint and towards the ground. All the shrinkage in the front stretcher shows at the top of the joint.

Above that, I am willing to cut away a bunch of the front stretcher tenon, put a haunch on it, to make room for the parallel guide mortise or criss cross groove. Depending on space constraints, putting the haunch on the lower portion of the front stretcher tenon is probably ok, but it will reduce the bearing surface from the front stretcher onto the vise leg. Like you are going to park a team of Percherons on that shelf or something.

20210406_212353[1].jpg

Scott, Thank you and WOW!

I bought my chain and screw back in 2012. Much of the undercarriage lumber has been sitting around since then so the MC is at equilibrium I would think. Do not yet have chop material but I want drier than 20%.

Do not yet have the skateboard parts and have not begun to consider the ramifications of sprocket spacing. I do know that I would like a wider rather tan thinner chop (with reference to the bench edge.)

I am still at the point of trying to figure out how to build whatever design after having completed the leg/vise/chop as a unit. I need to complete the lower assembly on my existing bench and then lift to ground before installing top part(s). I had already decided to do a split top and was working on the mortices for the 3rd leg but then a I screwed up the tenon on the long stretcher and stopped to re-evaluate whether I wanted to proceed with the undersized mortices already cit or scrap it all and start over.

As usual, like has intervened. LOML wants closet units - so much plywood is going to be cut up. Fortunately, she bought me a Sawstop PCS with which to do the project. At least, there will be solid maple involved for drawer fronts and cabinet doors.

End of warm/wet season here. Got some frost damage in the garden, the wood stove is lit right now, the Canada geese are headed south. I haven't put the winter tires on my truck yet, but probably less than a month before they go on.

Short version, I love love love this vise. Everything I have needed to do, no problem. Everything. Just get the vise closed up enough to hold whatever thing, another quarter turn on the Tommy bar, golden.

I did have one hiccough with seasonal movement. Something was catching somewhere, gosh, mid to late June when I was well into my wet season. I was having to kick the foot end of the chop when vising stuff less than two inches thick to get the system working again. I emailed Jim at Anchora about it. He got back to me quick by quick, more or less "I have never heard of that exactly, but you could check these two or three things I have seen before." It wasn't any of those things. What happened was my QSWO parallel guide picked up some height in the wet season so it was a bit too big (tall) for the mortise in the vise leg. So the top edge of the guide was catching on the top front corner of its mortise. I just dealt with it for a while, kicking the floor end of the chop when I needed to get it to close. In the back of my mind I figured I was burnishing a rub mark on something somewhere. It finally ticked me off enough to do something about it. I found a burnished rub mark on the top edge of my parallel guide where it was catching, as above. I took of something like 1/32 or 1/16 off just in the inch closest to the chop in mid July or so, with no ongoing problems since. I do fully expect the vise to get a little sloppier in my looming dry/cold season. So far I have not needed to grab a wrench to adjust chain tension. Will update one last time in Feb 2022 about how sloppy it gets, but not expecting to throw the vise screw in my woodstove and order ACME threaded metal.

I am going to put the dust cover back on now that wet season is over. I took it off in June so I could see the works and try to troubleshoot the catching. I haven't had to take any more wood off the top edge of the parallel guide, so I should be good to go. The nut and screw were looking pretty darn pristine when I took the outer dust cover off. I will get busy like Susie Homemaker in there befroe I put the outer dustcover back on, maybe a feather duster. The covers, as a pair (see post #23 this thread) is basically building a bass drum, but it does keep the dust out pretty effectively and I moved my shooting board to the other end of the bench shelf.

I have not needed to build a parallel guide guide like in Derek's "shop made tools" section. I had sent him an email about it, but have since noticed he prefers to be PM'd here. I was ready to build one, I know where I would put it, but I haven't needed it. My chop moves like an elephant's butt when closing the vise, ponderous side to side swaying, but once one edge contacts the work (my chop is 11 inches wide), the other edge closes up as the screw keeps turning.

I have not yet needed to put any leather in the vise. I have some ready to go, but so far no problem. If I need it I will try 3M #77 contact adhesive before resorting to epoxy.

I will someday come up with a thumbscrew to function as "anti wracking for leg vise" as also artfully and fully explained on Derek's website, also in the shop made tools section. For now I am still using a deck of cards, but I fully understand the expediency of having a thumscrew like that not sprouted above the benchtop. Derek's is a good idea, a deck of cards is frequently in the way. I want to use a fairly coarse threaded screw so it will move in and out quick with just a few turns. It might be that Dereek has access to much better steel angle brackets than I do. When I look at my local harware store metal bits I don't see his solution working on my bench, I am afraid I would just tear the add-on bits out of my Doug Fir bench, or bend the steel bits. One nice thing about an eleven inch wide chop is I can put the deck of cards way over to the left to help keep them out of the way.

The biggest drawback to this vise that I predict is ongoing end checking on the top of the chop. As soon as construction lumber prices come down I will bring in enough flat sawn and quartersawn Doug Fir 2x4 to season it myself and then glue up my next chop with shop seasoned DF. I worry about dribbling sawdust into the end checks and then the chop swelling in the next wet season with no where to go but outwards.

I had also planned to address benchtop real estate near the vise leg with this post. I am still flummoxed. The hub on the Lake Erie 2x screw is enormous, and my Doug Fir chop measures (still a little green) 2 13/16. Total I have to swing my hips out about 8 inches to get around the vise hub. Not good when trying to plane a surface a flat. I could put the planing stop between the bench legs instead of outboard, but I only have 34 inches of my 48" bench top remaining. I love the vise, I think for the next build I will push the vise leg out towards the end of the bench as far as I can go, leaving room for a working column of holdfst holes, and build a longer top so the planing stop can go between the front legs.

I'll plan to update one last time in Feb/Mar 2022, end of coming dry season; but I fully expect I will still be ecstatic.