Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oneida 5hp gorilla pro smart boost pulling 30-31 amps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan McGinn View Post
    I also logged a ticket with Oneida, so we'll see what they suggest.
    That's a good idea. Let us know what they tell you. I'm interested in what's going on.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    That's a good idea. Let us know what they tell you. I'm interested in what's going on.

Mike
    Agreed that is a good idea, but the real motor experts, i think, are likely to be at Baldor (if am correct it is a Baldor motor). I would be inclined to call their customer service or technical support, assuming they have such a thing. JMHO, YMMV

Some points to keep in mind -

1. The OP is not measuring MOTOR current. He's measured the input current to the VFD. The two are not the same.

2. The measured value of 38A may not be enough to trip the breaker given the tolerance on the breaker trip current (+25/-0 %) and the accuracy of the meter (+/- 3 to 8 % typical for a clamp on meter). So the fact that the breaker hasn't tripped does not by itself imply that the measurement is wrong.

3. The fan OP hears is most likely the VFD fan and would be expected to run.

4. VFDs include overload protection. If the motor were actually drawing that much current the VFD would shut down.

It is certainly suspicious that the readings are very close to double what Oneida says to expect. I don't know what might cause that, not likely technique. OP's video looks good.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

A somewhat random thought -

If one of the diodes in the input rectifier were open then it would be half wave rectification instead of full wave. That would increase the input RMS current by about 40%.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.