Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Light At The End Of The Tunnel

The flowing grain across the front.....that’s what craftsmen do, ever see that in IKEA?
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Last week I made up the remaining doors and drawer fronts for the cooktop. The finish is curing now.

A few weeks ago, just playing around with some wood, I made up a woven door. Rick loved it an said he wanted that as the doors for the upper cabinets going next to the frig. I just finished those and they are pretty huge. They will be hung on Blum Aventos HK Top Lifts.

One end of the frame was glued and allowed to set before installing the tigerwood ribs and slats. In order to do this without breaking the glued joints (and without a helping hand) the 3/4 frame was clamped to a table. The ribs were installed, then the slats woven in

The finished doors

This has been a pretty interesting project. The next step will be the walnut bar top. The slabs arrived today.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Great looking doors. What is the thickness of the slats.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    Great looking doors. What is the thickness of the slats.

Thank you, Mike.
    The slats are about 3/16" thick. They had to fit into the dado the router bit set created, which is 7/32". Even at that, there were times I was worried something would break, either the slat or the rib.

Those woven doors are stunning!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Those woven doors are stunning!
    +1. Very unique! Congrats on pulling that off Julie.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

7. What woods did you use for the drawer fronts and doors?

Thank you, gentlemen.

The frames are bloodwood and the slats & ribs are tigerwood.

Yesterday I put a bevel around the outside perimeter of the doors, the same bevel as the slats and ribs. This is after the first coat of Arm-R-Seal.

Spent the last three days turning the walnut slabs into a bar top. Between a little power planer, a monster belt sander, a Rotex and a couple other sanders, my body is beat.

Here's where I am now. The walnut only has mineral spirits on it right now. Still lots more work to do.

What an incredible showpiece kitchen that is turning into!
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Dang ... that's nice! I have to admit I was "worried" early on but wow...this thing is coming together in an awesome way!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Love the bright colors , and the end to end board matches. When something is different , and good ,there was some good salesmanship
    involved, too. Good job ,Julie

Wow! Beautiful

Beautiful work Julie. Whatever beating you took making those walnut slabs for the top was worth it. Looks wonderful.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Beautiful work Julie. Whatever beating you took making those walnut slabs for the top was worth it. Looks wonderful.
    The last three days was spent beating bow ties, Bill. That walnut is crazy hard!

That joint was tight when dry fitted. I really needed some help to muscle them back together, but everyone has gone north for the summer. Can't say I blame them...