Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Beautiful, very nice craftsmanship.
    Love how the different woods compliments each other
    Ron

I envy those wood countertops Julie! I like what I see!

Thank you all for the kind remarks. I'm working on my neighbor to pull the trigger on a couple of walnut slabs that have a crook in them right about where the 45 is on the bar wall. They would fit perfect.

We talked today about building the wall cabinets on the other side of the kitchen. Then he has to head back north to get his restaurant set up to open. But if he gets the walnut slabs, I should be able to finish the remodel myself.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Outstanding, first kitchen I have ever seen that impressed me.

Looks great. I really like the five piece drawer and door fronts. I also like your pulls. We have ceramic knobs that look good, but on occasion a belt loop or a pocket will snag one.

Great work!

Very nice work Julie - love the hood wall. Is there going to be a bar top on the short splash framing for the "customers"?
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Very nice work Julie - love the hood wall. Is there going to be a bar top on the short splash framing for the "customers"?
    Yes, Bill. I found a couple of live edge walnut slabs that are in shipment now. It looks like they are consecutive flitches. I scaled the images and it looks like they have a bend right about where the 45 in the bar wall is.

I was also talking to my neighbor yesterday about lighting over the bar. The first drawing I did had blue pendant lights and he really liked that. But the design has gone to very rustic. My latest idea is to run hemp rope over the bar, hanging from fish hooks, with Edison bulb lights dropping off the rope. He really seemed to like that.

Right now I'm working on the drawer fronts for the long wall opposite the bar area. They are going to be solid planks glued up and cut up to keep the grain flowing from left to right. Should have those installed in a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Yes, Bill. I found a couple of live edge walnut slabs that are in shipment now. It looks like they are consecutive flitches. I scaled the images and it looks like they have a bend right about where the 45 in the bar wall is.

I was also talking to my neighbor yesterday about lighting over the bar. The first drawing I did had blue pendant lights and he really liked that. But the design has gone to very rustic. My latest idea is to run hemp rope over the bar, hanging from fish hooks, with Edison bulb lights dropping off the rope. He really seemed to like that.

Right now I'm working on the drawer fronts for the long wall opposite the bar area. They are going to be solid planks glued up and cut up to keep the grain flowing from left to right. Should have those installed in a couple of days.
    I like the idea of blue pendant lights too. Royal blue glass would look pretty cool. Pls post some pics of the slabs after you get them installed. Really nice work.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Just wondering where the oven is.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    Appears to be at the end of the run on the side where the cooktop is located...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Appears to be at the end of the run on the side where the cooktop is located...
    That's the dishwasher, Jim. Here's the side with the oven.

My neighbor wanted an unbroken countertop. That woven panel sitting on the countertop is what I will be doing for the wall cabinet lift-up doors going above this section.

The boards were glued up then cut for the drawers, so the grain flowed across the drawer fronts

THanks for the clarification, Julie. What's the appliance inside the "U" across from the rainge top?
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    THanks for the clarification, Julie. What's the appliance inside the "U" across from the range top?
    An ice maker. Best Ice I ever got from a home. I did a total dissolved solids test on the melted ice from that machine and it read 3 ppm. I have an RO filter and it tested at 33 ppm.

But after running it for a few weeks, he couldn't stand all the wasted water so he turned it off. As you might imagine, friends and neighbors really miss it.

Ooooh....cool. Err...pardon the expression. That kind of ice maker will be great as those that are in refrigerators often have trouble keeping up with usage when cold beverages are always in hand, even for two people!
    --