Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10" plywood blade recommendations

10" plywood blade recommendations

Hello all,
    I'm looking for recommendations for a good-quality plywood blade suitable for use on hardwood-veneered plywood. Ideally, I'd prefer something that can be resharpened quite a few times. I don't mind paying for quality. Something that is readily available in Canada would be a bonus.

Hi Tyler,
    i use a Dimar 80 tooth which I like but would also consider FS Tools. I have their rip blade and it’s very good IMO. FS is a Canadian company. There are a number of Canadian dealers for both companies.
    Cheers!
    David

60 tooth FS Tools blade.....Rod

I posted a similar thread about 3 weeks ago.

I ended up with a Freud 10" x 80T Thin Kerf Ultimate Plywood & Melamine Blade (LU79R010). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Using it on my Sawstop. Rips and cross cuts the plywood beautifully.

I suggest you look at Tenryu. I've had fantastic results in very finicky plywoods with their ATAFR or TCG blades. The ATAFR does very well in Baltic Birch and veneer with on one side. The TCG does amazing in veneer core plywood with very thin veneer on both sides or chip core with thin veneer. They also have one with HATB that does well in melamine and thin veneers.

I used to order them from Atlas Machinery, I don't know if they still carry them. The sharpening service nearby had very good things to say when I brought them over, the carbide were thick and of good hardness, providing a long cutting time while not being too brittle.

I second Tenryu I don't know what end of the country you are at but I get mine from Tru cut sharpening in Abbotsford BC. Just the feel and sound of these blades is different. They are very quiet running I never need to use my score blade on finicky veneers like VG fir. Even with melamine.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I ended up with a Freud 10" x 80T Thin Kerf Ultimate Plywood & Melamine Blade (LU79R010). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Using it on my Sawstop. Rips and cross cuts the plywood beautifully.

+1 Me too! With my Craftsman Table saw.
    Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    Anonyms

I’ve used POPULAR brand saw blades in employments. A friend is a full time sharpener of all kinds of shop tooling, and he says the carbide
    is a good grade and the company has a good warranty. Prices are lower than the better known brands.

The research I did suggested that the two Forrest offerings were the best, but they are not available due to the pandemic. There a lot of votes for Freud. U've had good experience with them in the past so I bought a full kerf, 80 tooth, triple chip grind from Acme tools.

I've been getting superb results on plywood from a Freud Diablo 50T combo blade. Can't miss for $30 (USD).

For sheet goods, I generally use a H O Schumacher (made by Lietz) blade that I bought from Mike Jackson when he was liquidating Lietz made Delta blades about ten years ago. HIGH ATB, and does super job. Unfortunately, no longer available. Most 60 - 80 tooth blades will get the job done.

How many sharpenings are people getting out of Freud blades? I've read that they are not particularly resharpenable, only 2-3 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Bancroft View Post
    How many sharpenings are people getting out of Freud blades? I've read that they are not particularly resharpenable, only 2-3 times.
    That would depend on who’s doing the sharpening, which grade of carbide and what size tooth. Any of Freud’s “Industrial” line blades should last you a long, long time. https://freudtools.com/products/LU97M010

The Dimar blades that Lee Valley carries are also quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    That would depend on who’s doing the sharpening, which grade of carbide and what size tooth. Any of Freud’s “Industrial” line blades should last you a long, long time. https://freudtools.com/products/LU97M010

The Dimar blades that Lee Valley carries are also quite good.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Freud Diablo blades found in the borgs skimp a little on the carbide. I have a few Freud blades not purchased at the borg (F40/F410)and they sure seem to have enough carbide for a number of resharpenings. I do have a 7 1/4" Freud blade intended for circle saws. I think it's 40 tooth and it works well for small pieces like trim. It's not as aggressive as 10" 40 tooth blades so doesn't tend to grab small pieces.

I use mostly CMT. The melamine blades do really well for plywood.

If you go with Freud, get the industrial blades, not Diablo.