Thread: Dust collection hookup to planer

Dust collection hookup to planer

I'm finally plumbing in my dust collection system, and I have questions about what you all have founds works well in hooking up the planer, since the point of collection moves as the planer head is raised or lowered. I'm coming off the head with a 6" HVAC fitting. My initial thought was to have two 45s to a vertical piece of flex long enough to accommodate the raising or lowering of the planer head, and that attached to a 6" drop from the main. I've seen pics of people who have come horizontally off the planer with the flex line instead. I'm wondering what people's experience is with the two setups.

Blog Entries
    I come off the stock hood horizontally with hose. There is a gentle arc to the side I do not use for material pickup where it connects to rigid ducting.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

My little 10 inch lunchbox did not have a DC connection so I added one to the deflector hood which is fortunately steel. I cut it for a commercially made port and hook a long 4 inch flex hose to it. It usually gets pushed out in the driveway for use. Works well. I've been using it a lot this year, picked up over 200 gallons of chips so far this year.

The hood on my Hammer makes the duct come off horizontally. I then have a short piece of flex the arcs over to my rigid ducting on the wall nearby.

My 6” pvc stops at about 7’ AFF, then I have about 5’ of 6” flex to allow me to move the planer where I need it. I move it to the side out of the way when I’m not using it or when I only have short boards to plane. Longer material and I love it out.

My planer dc shroud is vertical.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    My 6” pvc stops at about 7’ AFF, then I have about 5’ of 6” flex to allow me to move the planer where I need it. I move it to the side out of the way when I’m not using it or when I only have short boards to plane. Longer material and I love it out.

My planer dc shroud is vertical.

AFF- Above finished floor