Thread: replacement Ridgid vac hose

replacement Ridgid vac hose

Do folks have a recommendation for replacement hose for a Ridgid shop vacuum cleaner? The one I've struggled with for years is too short inflexible and stiff. Thanks. -Howard

Blog Entries
    I would shop at Home Depot or Lowes and try to find something I liked.

Blog Entries
    I've used 30 feet of 2-1/2" hose for many years. Peachtree item #369. I recently moved to storing it on a reel.

DD-Idea-ver-3 (32).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I've used 30 feet of 2-1/2" hose for many years. Peachtree item #369. I recently moved to storing it on a reel.

DD-Idea-ver-3 (32).jpg
    I have what is probably the same thing, just got it. Wonderfully flexible yet doesn't collapse. I had one end plugged into a Fein Turbo 2 vac and put my hand over the other end. It sucked together from 10' to about 30" but the inside diameter did not change. It uses screw-on ends that so far seem fine but were a little tricky to apply. I found I had to trim all the plastic away from the wire on the end to get it to start. Once it's started no problem. If necessary I'll add hose clamps. Way way more flexible than the usual shop vac hose.

It isn't any different in size or stiffness but Home Depot also sells a 20 foot hose, pretty cheap. I have one and use it occasionally. But my main shop vac hose is a Bosch 5 meter hose. It works well with my portable power tools. The domino and DeWalt track saw do not need an adapter and the Bosch and DeWalt sanders only need the adapter they came with. It's a lot more flexible than the Rigid hoses.

I recently picked this one up:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I modified it for use with my central vacuum, but it comes with the fitting for a standard shop vac. On the other end are snap on adapters that fit various power tools. It's reasonably flexible, enough so that it doesn't resist moving a sander, say. It's 16' long, which I find a reasonable compromise. The one minus I've noticed is that the screw on ends can screw off the hose or loosen so that you have to screw then back on now and then. Not perfect, but I like it better than the other hoses I've had.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I bought the long orange one from Home Depot years ago, and it still works fine. It's much better quality than the one that comes with the vac.

The bosch and centech are good replacements. Both available from Amazon.

The bosch has a slightly larger diameter IIRC.

Centech has one that is 30 feet long.

Regards,

MK

Glenn, could you post a few more pictures of you setup, thanks

I"ve been using this Ridgid version for years...very flexible...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1...2570/305626336
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    It isn't any different in size or stiffness but Home Depot also sells a 20 foot hose, pretty cheap. I have one and use it occasionally. But my main shop vac hose is a Bosch 5 meter hose. It works well with my portable power tools. The domino and DeWalt track saw do not need an adapter and the Bosch and DeWalt sanders only need the adapter they came with. It's a lot more flexible than the Rigid hoses.
    I use the 20 foot 2 1/2 inch hose from H.D. as well. My Ridgid vac is yoked to the Dust Right separator and remains where it is (important for me) as I stretch the hose to various areas. While this is sometimes unwieldy, it has worked well with my table saw and occasional use of my planer and jointer. I don't power sand. Now I use it mostly for clean up of debris from the drill press, band saw and hand tools - plane shavings and smaller off-cuts. The smaller diameter hoses have clogged with what I remove so I tolerate using this anaconda-like hose. Everything in my shop is compromise.

A Lot like the Festool Hose for a Fraction of the Price

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I bought the long orange one from Home Depot years ago, and it still works fine. It's much better quality than the one that comes with the vac.