Thread: Shed paint??

Shed paint??

Have a shed that was painted about 10 years ago or at least I should say was stained. It has T11 on it and wood trim. I need to redo this year because I changed siding on house and now want to match grey color to shed. Question is what do I use?? Stain, paints, or is there something new on the market?? Name or brand will help. Thanks. Live in NJ.
    John T.

We have a shed also covered with T111. It was in rough shape, but we re-painted it and it is holding up great. I went to the Sherwin Williams store in our area that caters to the pros and ask them what paint and methods they recommended. I can't remember for sure, but I believe in was "Duration". They color matched it to a piece of siding I had. I applied it with both a brush and a heavy nap roller. It is very important to get the paint into the little grooves with the brush, then roll the panel. It took two coats and I didn't get the coverage listed on the can.

I imagine any of the "real" paint stores would be able to provide the same guidance and product selection help.

Once you clean any dirt, algae and mildew off, you can use either an opaque stain or a high quality exterior paint, like the SW Duration that Lisa mentions. The stain "breathes" more but the paint "seals" more. Either will work fine for your application. For T1-11, you can brush/roll or use an airless sprayer. Since it's already finished, it will not soak up as much product as it did originally!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The wife let me buy a new shed a couple of years ago, but wasn't happy, so I painted this on it. Sherman Williams paint, the white and blue, the shed was pre-painted as delivered.

Blog Entries
    I buy paint from Sherwin Williams. They have good service and also are knowledgeable.

I prefer stain since it will not lift even if poorly prepped or it gets damp inside. I like to buy the "opps" paint at the box stores if I can find a similar color for the first coat or two.

Blog Entries
    It's important to know if this is a she shed or a he shed...
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    I would go to a pant store and tell them the details of your project. It will save you money and time.

If you still don't want to use them, say thank you and walk out.

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    Have a shed that was painted about 10 years ago or at least I should say was stained. It has T11 on it and wood trim. I need to redo this year because I changed siding on house and now want to match grey color to shed. Question is what do I use?? Stain, paints, or is there something new on the market?? Name or brand will help. Thanks. Live in NJ.
    Paint unless you're willing to strip everything for a solid stain.

Since you're NJ, I'd say support the home town team with Benjamin Moore.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Paint unless you're willing to strip everything for a solid stain.

Since you're NJ, I'd say support the home town team with Benjamin Moore.
    I use BM for all interior paints. May go talk with them and see what they suggest.
    John T.

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    I use BM for all interior paints. May go talk with them and see what they suggest.
    Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams are both good resources to consult on this. I personally use SW these days, but have been happy with BM products, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    T-111 accents (including my porch) with rough sawn trim on my mostly brick home. When first built in 1975 we went with a dark transparent stain which I repeated several times as it didn't last too long, but I loved the look. The last two times I went with a Sherwin Williams solid stain which lasted a lot longer but eventually got a chalky look. So this summer I am going with paint which might outlast me. Everything but the facia boards are under at least a 2' overhang. 6 years ago a hail storm came through which allowed me to get a new roof, so I replaced all of the facia boards with a composite material with that rough sawn look. For some reason I don't understand, I get a contractor's discount at SW although frankly I am happy with the Behr paint quality and price point. Interesting in that the SW store is directly adjacent to Lowes, just a half mile down the street from HD. The BM store is across from HD, so plenty of choices.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 03-23-2021 at 9:56 AM.
    NOW you tell me...