Thread: A good deli slicer?

A good deli slicer?

What's a good deli slicer (i.e. electric meat slicer) to buy for home use? My main concerns are to have one that's easy to clean and safe to use. I'd probably slice more cheese and vegetables with it than meat.

Hobart. Used ones show up at restaurant auctions and used kitchen supply places pretty regularly for a few hundred bucks. Last forever. For home use a manual one should be fine.

How much room can you devote to it? We have a little plastic affair which is pretty flimsy but it folds up to it's about 12" X 5" X 10" (just guessing). Hobart seems to be the default at grocery store delies but they look by no means compact.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    How much room can you devote to it? We have a little plastic affair which is pretty flimsy but it folds up to it's about 12" X 5" X 10" (just guessing). Hobart seems to be the default at grocery store delies but they look by no means compact.
    I want something that's easy to clean and put away on a kitchen shelf - for example, at most the bulk of a big crock pot or a Kitchenaid brand mixer.

Looking at the slicers on Amazon with 7 to 8 inch diameter blades and in the $100 price range, the following negatives appear in the reviews

1. Hard to clean certain places on the machine
    2. Guard/gude does not securely hold meat
    3. Motor gets hot quickly
    4. Motor not powerful enough to cut quickly
    5. Not possible to cut very thin slices
    6. Not possible to cut even slices
    7. On-off switch inconvenient
    8. Requires steadying machine to keep it from sliding on the counter
    9. No self-sharpening feature

Of those negatives, 1. concerns me. If they are safety issues, 2, 7 and 8 would bother me.. The other negatives, I could live with.

My sister has a Weston that she likes. They range from bout $80 to $700 depending on what you want

never seen a meat slicer that likes to cut cheese...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

For vegetables you want a mandoline not a deli slicer https://www.culinarycookware.com/col...mandoline-1000

Bonus: it's cordless.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    For vegetables you want a mandoline not a deli slicer https://www.culinarycookware.com/col...mandoline-1000

Bonus: it's cordless.
    I've ordered the mandoline recommended by America's Test Kitchen in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I15-htHJF_I

But for potato chips, I want to have a slicer - being influenced by 8:18 in the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiJmmVd3kWI

Funny you should say that. Years back I had some Kettle Creek Spicy Thai chips. They had tons going on and were excellent. After about a year they disapeared from the shelves. I went for therapy which was mildly successful then a box arrived at my door and a friend had ordered a box from the US. Into those I found they had changed the recipe and backed off on ingredients and flavour was lost. They were still good but just not the same. Then the vaporized totally. A few months back I typed in can you make your own chips and ended up on different Kettle chips. Net just keeps getting better. Steven if you need a beta tester im up in canada