Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: Ring video doorbell. Battery power

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    4,601

    Ring video doorbell. Battery power

    My doorbell has not worked in years since a electric panel upgrade. Sure the transformer did not get hooked up or replaced in the process. A project for another day.

    Does anyone use the BATTERY powered Ring video doorbell? How long does the charge last and how well does it work?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

  2. #2
    I don't, my doorbell transformer works. I remember that it depends on how much the camera is on. You can adjust sensitivity. But, you can't block things out, like a flag that blows in front of the camera. I'd attempt to fix the doorbell circuit. It's sort of a pain to get the battery out.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    springfield,or
    Posts
    635
    The battery is so so. I think I get 3-5 days outta mine. I'm so lazy to charge it that it hasn't been on in a good month now

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South Coastal Massachusetts
    Posts
    6,841
    I use the Eufy doorbell.

    Wireless and itegrates with an App to alert when someone approaches/ rings and battery status.

    The battery lasts longer than I can remember my password.

    https://www.eufydoorbells.com/

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wayland, MA
    Posts
    2,639
    Where I volunteer we have a door that it's very hard to run a wire to neatly. I installed a Ring with a solar charger built into the faceplate. It has worked well for a year now with no further attention. It does get direct sun for several hours a day.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manlius, NY
    Posts
    109
    Does anyone use the BATTERY powered Ring video doorbell? How long does the charge last and how well does it work?
    I have a Ring 2 battery powered Ring video doorbell. During our very cold winter last month the battery charge lasted about 3 weeks. During the warmer months it will last 5-6 weeks before needing to be recharged. I bought a spare battery when I bought and installed my doorbell which makes it fast and easy to switch it out when the installed battery needs to be charged. My doorbell works very well and has a lot of adjustability.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Bella Vista, AR
    Posts
    45
    We have a battery powered Ring Video Doorbell 3. The battery lasts about 3 weeks. However, my experience was so bad with the Ring Doorbell 3 poor performance and very poor support from the folks at Ring that I did not reinstall it when we moved. It's in the box in my desk drawer. I'd shop for another brand. Just my opinion.
    Loran Galey
    Do good and be good and you will be happy.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    SE PA - Central Bucks County
    Posts
    56,975
    I have two battery powered Ring doorbells and three batteries so I can always have a charged spare available. The two doorbells have very different charge life. Our kitchen door is the most used and therefore, sends a lot more alerts/videos than the front door which is rarely used. So battery life is a few weeks for the kitchen door and a couple of months for the front door. As Dom mentioned, that does vary seasonably. Neither position is capable of using the solar charging feature they have available. It may be usable at our new property and I'll be checking that out if the existing one there isn't wired to a transformer.
    --

    The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    4,601
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I use the Eufy doorbell.

    Wireless and itegrates with an App to alert when someone approaches/ rings and battery status.

    The battery lasts longer than I can remember my password.

    https://www.eufydoorbells.com/

    Thanks for the link. Another option I did not know about, Will look into it for sure.
    Are you able to talk to someone at your door when you are away from home?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    4,601
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I have two battery powered Ring doorbells and three batteries so I can always have a charged spare available. The two doorbells have very different charge life. Our kitchen door is the most used and therefore, sends a lot more alerts/videos than the front door which is rarely used. So battery life is a few weeks for the kitchen door and a couple of months for the front door. As Dom mentioned, that does vary seasonably. Neither position is capable of using the solar charging feature they have available. It may be usable at our new property and I'll be checking that out if the existing one there isn't wired to a transformer.

    I know a few weeks don't sound like a lot to change batteries but do you find it a hassle to have to keep changing?
    How well does the app work and do you have many false alerts?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South Coastal Massachusetts
    Posts
    6,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Thanks for the link. Another option I did not know about, Will look into it for sure.
    Are you able to talk to someone at your door when you are away from home?
    Yep.

    The only caveat is that the default setting is too sensitive.
    Street traffic routinely set it off.

    I particularly like that it somehow is partitioned separate from my WiFi and isn't readily hacked.

    Last edited by Jim Matthews; 03-20-2021 at 4:19 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    SE PA - Central Bucks County
    Posts
    56,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    I know a few weeks don't sound like a lot to change batteries but do you find it a hassle to have to keep changing?
    How well does the app work and do you have many false alerts?
    It doesn't bother me to have to charge the battery, especially with a spare available. Do note that you need a "more powerful" brick for the charge. I use an old iPad brick; a lower amperage phone brick will not no not do the job. The system will notify you when you are getting to the point of needing a charge, too. You'll want to keep the little tool handy for the security screw on the bottom of the doorbell case, too.

    We've never had any kind of false alerts and you have a range of "tuning" options available so you can tailor response to your location, approaches to the door, etc., as well as things like human detection. The app is easy to use. The same app supports our Ring security system and the video camera in my shop, too.
    --

    The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

  13. #13
    I installed a Ring video doorbell in January. I just checked and the battery is still at 61%. I think that's about what the documentation said we wold get.

    We have a 'zone' that it monitors and alerts us to motion. For all it does, I'm surprised the battery lasts that long.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    4,601
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Yep.

    The only caveat is that the default setting is too sensitive.
    Street traffic routinely set it off.

    I particularly like that it somehow is partitioned separate from my WiFi and isn't readily hacked.


    One of my concerns. I live on a state highway and the doorbell would be facing the highway. About 40 foot .
    I have a solar powered LED light that faces the Highway about 60feet and it is almost on all the time.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    One of my concerns. I live on a state highway and the doorbell would be facing the highway. About 40 foot .
    I have a solar powered LED light that faces the Highway about 60feet and it is almost on all the time.
    Perhaps look at this - https://ring.com/collections/securit...ht-cam-battery

    Not true doorbell, but similar hi-tech features. These can be 'aimed' to only detect motion / activity in it's field of view. Battery (charge) lasts 2 months-ish. Also available with solar charger.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •