Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ring video doorbell. Battery power

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    One of my concerns. I live on a state highway and the doorbell would be facing the highway. About 40 foot .
    I have a solar powered LED light that faces the Highway about 60feet and it is almost on all the time.
    I can't speak for other solutions, but the RING units can be tuned and configured to accommodate situations like this so that highway traffic doesn't cause excessive recording/notification. They have added refinements to this frequently, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I can't speak for other solutions, but the RING units can be tuned and configured to accommodate situations like this so that highway traffic doesn't cause excessive recording/notification. They have added refinements to this frequently, too.
    I do that with mine, although it's a Ring Pro so I don't know if there are any difference there. I have the "motion zone" configured to ignore the street and even the sidewalk out by the street, otherwise it picks up everything. I also have it configured in "People Only Mode", which means it only alerts for motion that it thinks looks like a person. That will however pick up shadows of people across my front lawn when the sun is low, but we're okay with that.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    One of my concerns. I live on a state highway and the doorbell would be facing the highway. About 40 foot .
    I have a solar powered LED light that faces the Highway about 60feet and it is almost on all the time.
    The sensitivity can be set by the user.

I use it like a doorbell - it only actuates (and records) when the button is pressed.

The default setting records 10 seconds of video when the motion detector is active.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    I do that with mine, although it's a Ring Pro so I don't know if there are any difference there. I have the "motion zone" configured to ignore the street and even the sidewalk out by the street, otherwise it picks up everything. I also have it configured in "People Only Mode", which means it only alerts for motion that it thinks looks like a person. That will however pick up shadows of people across my front lawn when the sun is low, but we're okay with that.
    Good to know that you're one of the folks on the Neighbors "map"...almost seems that many of the alerts I see come from your neighborhood. LOL
    --

Good to know that you're one of the folks on the Neighbors "map"...almost seems that many of the alerts I see come from your neighborhood. LOL
    I think I actually have that feature turned off on my account. lol

I think I actually have that feature turned off on my account. lol
    LOL I have found it interesting that the "blinking blue dot" for so many alerts is hovering over your neighborhood. Maybe that's just because RING is popular there. Or you have a bunch of hoolems as neighbors.
    --

LOL I have found it interesting that the "blinking blue dot" for so many alerts is hovering over your neighborhood. Maybe that's just because RING is popular there. Or you have a bunch of hoolems as neighbors.
    I'm gonna have to run the Neighbors app to see what's going on in my neighborhood! We have an FB group, so if / when there are issues things get posted there; thankfully we don't have too many problems. I'm sure Ring doorbells are popular here, but who knows if people have them setup to ignore random motion coming from the street.

My first ring pro I messed with for hours and hours before I chucked it 100' off the front porch. It was fried from factory and support wouldnt replace it. I got a second eventually and had to put a new transformer in and it works great now.

My brother and sister each have a battery version (not together ) They get different results. If you program the motion fields properly they will stay relatively inactive and last quite a bit longer. If it faces a busy street it will be active and recording all the time. I would recommend wiring it if you can. and either using a ring chime or wiring to your door chime if thats working

I'm gonna have to run the Neighbors app to see what's going on in my neighborhood! We have an FB group, so if / when there are issues things get posted there; thankfully we don't have too many problems. I'm sure Ring doorbells are popular here, but who knows if people have them setup to ignore random motion coming from the street.
    Neightbors reports are not automatic...someone has to submit them...so presumably no falsies would make it there. Most of those I've seen have involved someone fiddling with vehicles late at night.
    --

Neightbors reports are not automatic...someone has to submit them...so presumably no falsies would make it there. Most of those I've seen have involved someone fiddling with vehicles late at night.
    Ah, okay. Yeah, that scenario was definitely a big one the past couple years. They recently got the guy behind a lot of those thefts.

Can you get a network cable to it? My brother is building a new house and put in a power over Ethernet Ring door bell.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Can you get a network cable to it? My brother is building a new house and put in a power over Ethernet Ring door bell.
    That's probably a lot of effort for an already-built house. It's probably easier for the OP to replace the doorbell transformer with one that can power the Ring unit.

I agree with Steve...if the wire is there, just replace the transformer, dod the resistor dance if required and enjoy a powered setup. (that still has battery backup)
    --